Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

IT IS SUBSTANTIAL TO HAVE A WORLD MARKET!!!

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by CellguyNY, Dec 13, 2001.

1. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

I know how everyone feels about the world market, but doesn't everyone realize the rest of the world is laughing at our technology due to the fact that I found out from a Foreigner from Holland that Europe has free incoming calls with all of there plans. The only company that has a world market here in the US is Voicestream and they seem to be competing very well with the competition here. The fact that here in NY that they are offering some of the best plans like for 29.99 you get 200 weekly and unlimited weekends. No one else has that yet unless you go 39.99 and up. Also with the 19.99 plan this helps users who don't talk on the phone as much and don't want to spend much either. The family plan now offers unlimited weekend and phone to phone with 800 shared which is not too shabby. Me and my colleagues did some researching on the T-Mobile, omnipoint, Powertel merger and that this company might not be doing as well here in the US but for every customer signed up here they have even more all over the world which sprint,verizon, and AT&T don't have being a domestic force. I would like to see these three get GSM services and then the competition can get better between the companys plans. Gsm is more widely excepted due to alot of the companys are switching to it like recently Nextel and Cingular. Thats why you see the Gsm's come out with the latest phone technology. Like VS came out with the Nokia 3390 first then in November AT&T jumped on the band wagon with the 3360.

Look Forward to more thoughts:

CellguyNY

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Well in a couple/few years GSM coverage in the US should be much better TDMA is going bye bye and turning into GSM. AT&T has already announced it is going to upgrade its entire network into GSM, Cingular Wireless is also going to be fully GSM I believe by 2004 I read. Don't expect changes anytime soon but I think in a few years GSM will be the domating standard in the US. Also I remember reading somewhere that Vodafone (spelling) Verizon's overseas affliate is pressing them to go GSM too.

3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Verizon made a press release denying those rumors and downplaying Vodafone's influence.

4. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

CellguyNY, don't forget that AT&T is moving towards GSM. They've already overlaid GSM in a few cities. The US will have a strong force of GSM coverage down the road with Voicestream, Cingular and AT&T. I haven't heard anything yet about Nextel's plans. I have heard about Siemens possibly releasing a dual-mode GSM/TDMA phone in the new year...which would be great for AT&T users while GSM is being overlaid throughout the country.

Yes we are behind Europe and many other countries but we are narrowing the gap. You have to understand that one of the big factors that pushed the growth of wireless phones in many countries is because a new home phone service would take months to activate and the activation fee were expensive! Many countries did not have the wiring infrastructure to support this (like the US/Canada has) and therefore wireless phone service really kicked off and boomed. For example, I was in Quito/Equador awhile back and I was in an office nearby the airport. Most of the employees in the office used cellphones for business because there were no infrastructure in place from the Telecom company to support additional phone lines to the office or any office in that area. If you really needed one then you're looking at a one year wait at possibly getting a new line. Thus the huge movement and jump towards wireless in many countries.

Yes, I'm in favor of standardization too. I can't wait to start seeing the latest and greatest GSM/GPRS phones released for Europe AND here in the US...basically we'd also reap the benefits of the economies of scale.

Mind you, 3G licenses -- basically for WCDMA sprectrum space is VERY expensive...carriers in Europe have paid billions each to purchase.

5. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

Yes i see your point Kenny, but to mention about Nextel Gsm service the fact that in NY when Nextel released there three latest models I50, I85 and I90 they all carry SIM service and that would lead me to believe that Nextel is carrying GSM service already in New York needless to say that it has made it easier for us (Dealers) to switch services to other phones without customers losing phone book numbers which so many complain about or even there phone number which many get attached too. The fact that AT&T and Cingular are upgrading to this service is great also and I believe that WCDMA is not going to take over because the success of the chips has done well here in NY. I happen to be all for the GSM service it makes life alot easier here as where a customer destroys CDMA phone they cost alot more to replace and they lose there memory on there phone. Not good. I can't tell you how many Verizon Customers and sprint ones have come back to me because of carelessness with there phone and are absolutely outraged they cant get there numbers back in there phone book. Where as business reps who have important numbers stored in there GSM phone drop it by accident replace the phone for about $40 or $50 bucks and take there sim out and place it in the new phone no fuss no hassle. Where as a Verizon phone can go for 100 or more as well as sprint phones because also more of them are imported from overseas and sold to the dealers at a high cost where as VS phones are sold to the dealers in the 40's and 50's. I am not a huge fan of CDMA but it does its job well up to that point if it happens. Look forward to more posts everyone

CellguyNY