Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Issues w/ T-Mobile

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by 714tmobile, Jul 7, 2008.

1. 714tmobile

714tmobile Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Hello all...

My fiance and I both have T-Mobile here in Southern California. I've been w/ TMO for six years (when they first rolled out here) and she signed up a year ago, leaving Verizon.

Verizon works quite well in Los Angeles and for me, T-Mobile worked just as good. She switched over to her own plan and we kept two separate lines.. In the last 3 months, we have made multiple phone calls to customer service about dropped calls, calls cutting out, and just plain lack of service (esp. in areas where we had service before). Her handset was exchanged once (Samsung Stripe) and mine was eventually freely upgraded (RAZR to a Nokia 6133) after several exchanges.

On the plus side, my phone has worked better but not "great". I've had fewer dropped calls and fewer cut-outs, but her phone seems to have stayed the same, and in some cases worse.

We called customer service about it last week and they seemed ambivelant about it, and said that we "shouldn't be having this issue". We agreed, but we are and need to know what our options are. They offered an upgrade to a Nokia 6133 (like I have) and it would be no charge except $9 for tax, and would incur a contract extension of 2yrs. No big deal if it works, so we decided to go ahead w/ it.

She received the phone on Thurs. night from UPS; it came in a bubble-envelope w/ the Nokia box inside. The Nokia box was completely crushed. She didn't open it but called TMO to ask if we can just take it to a store and exchange it like-for-like, esp. since we didn't open the box. The flat-out refused to let us do that, and instead said we needed to send the phone to them first, and they would send us another phone in return. We asked for an advance exchange but they said the old phone has to go back first. They instructed us to write "RETURN TO SENDER" on the evenlope and put it in a UPS drop-box. I took it to UPS on Saturday and they said it required a new label, which I called TMO and was told they would need to mail to us. I insisted that they at least fax it over, so they finally agreed to credit her account for the cost of shipping the crushed phone back.

We are filing a complaint w/ the BBB for the service my fiance is receiving, and hoping to get out of her contract and go w/ another carrier. My contract is up in September but if she goes back to Verizon, I will inevitably go w/ them as well under a family plan. She's prepared to pay the ETF if the BBB complaint isn't able to yield a suitable outcome.

Anyway, i thought I'd share what has been going on w/ T-Mobile for the past several days. Needless to say, I'm disappointed (esp. after being w/ them for 6 years). Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    G1v1.5, Dash, Touch Pro 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    You should not have had this issue the rep you spoke with didn't do their job properly so stop saying tmobile it was one rep. What should have happend is you should have been expressed a new nokia, and yes you do have to send the other phone back, but should have been offered the 10.00 credit to cover shipping. This is not a valid reason to be let out of a conract however if you're unhappy with the new Nokia you do have 30 days to return it if you're in CA, 14 days in other states so send it back. if you keep it past the 30 days the BBB will not be able to help you get out of your contract. You should call tmobile directly be realistic though when you call, and understand that we also want you to have the most reliable service that is possible with us, but when you start making demands, and talking about cancelling that changes the nature of the conversation. So let us do our best to help you please.

3. 714tmobile

714tmobile Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thanks for your reply.

I can't say that I appreciate the tone of your post, so i will assume you are trying to be more constructive than compassionate in your response

First, if the rep works for T-Mobile, then it's T-Mobile who is to blame for the issue. If the rep screwed up, then the rep screwed up, but our money goes to TMO and they hired the person to answer the phone when we called.

Second, my Nokia seems to be working fine, but the phone they (TMO) sent us was crushed from not being properly packaged. The only demands we made were as stated; take it to a nearby store and exchange like-for-like. The major issue seems to be w/ my fiance's Stripe which has been exchanged once already (like for like).

Third, if TMO cannot provide adequate service, then why is she is not entitled to be let out of her contract? Granted, the issues as of late are most customer service related, but in the long-run the quality of cell service has been abysmal for us (mostly her).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. spleck

spleck Tool

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Well said!

5. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    Sorry for the "tone" of my post, wasn't meant to have a tone to it but I can see how it might have. The issue with the device being crushed in the box should have been handled differently that is what I mean with the rep not doing their job so sorry it wasn't handled better for you the first time you called.
    If you are under contract and have not moved to a new area that doesn't have coverage than we are not required to release you from your contract, we may do so at our discretion but service is not guaranteed and network issues do not void your contract after the buyer's remorse period which is what I meant, again though we hope to not see you cancel, our hope is that the issue is resolved to both yours and our satisfaction. I hope things improve for you, best of luck. I feel the problem is probably phone and network combined, samsung bites, first strike...lol just a fact they make a cheap phone, the Nokia is a little better for basic needs, and should like you said it is, get a little better reception. I feel that once we get your fiance the new Nokia (uncrushed) things will be a little better, has anybody talked to you at tmobile about hotspot calling? There is a samsung phone on that line of product that performs quite will, it's called the Katalyst, check it out.

6. 714tmobile

714tmobile Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Update: we both cancelled on Friday and picked up an iPhone. The 3G is nice and coverage is solid at my place. Tmobile let both of us out of our contracts due to the plethora of complaints we have logged about coverage so I can say that I'm a happy camper for now.

7. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    definately glad you're happy, sorry again that there was a tone of indifference implied by my reply. Maybe after your contract is up with att you can give tmobile another try should have the 3g coverage for you shortly and that will hopefully improve things for you in the future. Good luck with your new att acct.

8. Etorres777

Etorres777 Life is good for now..

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t Mobility
    Glad to here they let you out of your contract for no charge. Isn't the iPhone 3G fantastic?! My only complaint is the battery life. I have to charge it twice a day.. :(

9. 714tmobile

714tmobile Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thanks guys :) yeah I may try tmobile again in the future but only if their coverage improves by then.

The 3G iphone is pretty sweet. The gps is what sold me and it's pretty darn accurate. Battery is pretty good if I don't use gps or 3g data. Above all I love the reception and so far no dropped calls.

Anyway, all in all I'm a happy camper. I don't any ill feelings towards tmobile and will miss the T.

10. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i know.....it could practically tell me where in my house i was here in NZ while im visiting

11. Neva

Neva New Member

I am also having problems with T-Mobile. I started service with them the first of May (this year). My husband and I both have the Nokia 6133, I have problems getting my calls to come through. Quite often they go to voice mail instead of my phone ringing. I am told my area is a 3 bar but my phone says it is a 1 bar. I go two blocks to the hiway and get 3 or 4 bar. I am told that there is nothing that can be done about this. The other provider that we used did a much better job on signal strength.

My husband commutes 1 hour to work and does not have service 90% of the way. I got the phone for him for emergency only use. He has made maybe 3 calls on it and T-Mobile won't help us out by canceling the contract because he did make the calls. We will be charged $200 per line when the contract is canceled. I personally am fit to be tied that they can't help us out somehow since the phone does not help us at all. He did have good service with another provider during that drive.

The only thing we can do and am doing is having them do a service check. They are now doing the second one and I will continue until they get tired of us. In the meantime, I only hope my husband does not need the phone while on the road.

Is there anything else that can be done?

12. Neva

Neva New Member

More Issues w/ T-Mobile

:(I am also having problems with T-Mobile. I started service with them the first of May (this year). My husband and I both have the Nokia 6133, I have problems getting my calls to come through. Quite often they go to voice mail instead of my phone ringing. I am told my area is a 3 bar but my phone says it is a 1 bar. I go two blocks to the hiway and get 3 or 4 bar. I am told that there is nothing that can be done about this. The other provider that we used did a much better job on signal strength.

My husband commutes 1 hour to work and does not have service 90% of the way. I got the phone for him for emergency only use. He has made maybe 3 calls on it and T-Mobile won't help us out by canceling the contract because he did make the calls. We will be charged $200 per line when the contract is canceled. I personally am fit to be tied that they can't help us out somehow since the phone does not help us at all. He did have good service with another provider during that drive.

The only thing we can do and am doing is having them do a service check. They are now doing the second one and I will continue until they get tired of us. In the meantime, I only hope my husband does not need the phone while on the road.

Is there anything else that can be done?

13. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    Re: More Issues w/ T-Mobile

Sorry but you should have cancelled in the buyer's remorse period you had 30 days when you started that is what that time is for to try the service unfortunately after that even if you don't use the service tmobile is not obligated to release you from the contract. It may happen but it may not as well. You may get offerred a different phone but sounds like it's the coverage not the phone that is the issue. But again that is why the trial period is so important. Good luck

14. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Sometimes tmobileman just gives you the company line. :( The short trial period is often hardly enough time to thoroughly vet a new carrier. I'm in favor of some of the proposals that allow you to cancel up until your first bill is due.

Compare the coverage you're expecting against T-Mobile's online coverage viewer. If you're not getting what they tell you (remembering the map shows outdoor coverage, not indoors), then keep calling them.

Weigh the cost of the ETFs ($400 is a lot) against the value of good service. It may be worth it to get out of the contract and move to a better carrier. If you text message, you may be able to take advantage of the price increase to get out of your contract without an ETF. If you don't want to pay the ETF but don't use your phone much, also consider going to the lowest cost tier (I think $60/month for 2 lines).

Another option that is not much cheaper than the ETF is getting a phone that is wi-fi capable so that you have good signal at your house (as long as you have a wireless router and broadband internet).

15. Neva

Neva New Member

Thanks for the response and feedback. I was not told about the 30 days but I should have known about it. I will keep trying to have them do the service reports for me and maybe in the end it will help.

What do you think about a new phone. Do you think it will help a little?

16. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile

The only phone that will pull different signal is a WiFi calling phone, that is called unlimited hot spot calling that may be a solution for you if you have either Cable or DSL service at your home now. As long as you're in the trial period you can return your phones to the store you got them out and swap them for the hotspot phones there is a small variety of devices to choose from.

17. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    This is not the company line, this is the realistic approach. Can you cancel after your trial period...yeah you can can you get your etf waived yeah after hours upon hours of arguing with customer service that creates a bad experience for the customer. Consumerist.com is the dumbest site I have ever read, and btw most of their information is not correct. I read all of the tmobile posts the other day and this is not a good source of advise for most customers so I recommend you stop handing it out. All this site is good for is telling people who don't want to live up to their obligations about how to try and exploit a loophole in the contract. Honest consumers should be able to see through this...honest consumers. Look in the area for Neva, California, the trial period is 30 days, that is plenty of time to try a few different aspects of our service. Spleck...I believe posts like yours are part of the problem not part of the solution. Sad because I usually find your posts informative and somewhat helpful...:(

18. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    If someone wants to be told they're screwed and stuck with poor service or they have to pay a $200 ETF, they can call T-Mobile CS. They don't need to come on here and get more of it.

For some people its worth hours of arguing to save $400 in ETF. As for bad experience, some people are already suffering poor service, frustrated with being unable to call, annoyed at dropped calls, and flabbergasted when told they shouldn't have a problem but are offered no solution.

That may be your opinion, but I think you're a bit off the mark with "btw most of their information is not correct." They have plenty of valuable information on there, and the large number of readers would probably agree. You can make your recommendations, but if you have a problem with their T-Mobile information, perhaps you should make your suggestions to them, or pass on to T-Mobile's PR department to make an official statement.

This tells me you obviously have not read any significant portion of the content on the site. The focus is on consumerism. They post stories of consumers getting abused by corporations, and how the "shopper bites back." No need for an underhanded comment about "honest consumers."

[/quote]Look in the area for Neva, California, the trial period is 30 days, that is plenty of time to try a few different aspects of our service.[/quote]Except for the billing. A few congressmen have agreed with proposals like the Cell Phone Users Bill of Rights that propose a trial period that extends to 30 days after receiving your first bill. There's no argument that is a significant step in protecting the consumer.

I believe this is a poor location for comments like that. The problem you would be referring to must be "customers calling me to cancel" and not "consumers being taken advantage of by corporate contracts". I stand by everything I stated. If you don't get the coverage stated on the viewer, then you should complain. Weigh the cost of the ETF against the value of good service. Some people may think its worth $400, some may think its worth dealing with, some people may decide to use the contract they signed (why is it okay for T-Mobile to cancel users that roam too much against the contract, but not okay for users to cancel when T-Mobile makes a materially adverse change to the contract?). Lowering the monthly rate and riding the service out is another option, along with getting a wi-fi phone. That's what I said in the original post, so its pretty obvious you're upset about someone trying to get out of a contract. Oh well.

What's sad is that a poster I hoped would be a valuable insider, repeatedly posts while drunk, often states the bad news thats already available on the T-Mobile website or by calling CS, and has poorly worded or rude posts.

19. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    im with Spleck,

Honestly Tmobileman, you need to quit with the fanboyism. It is against the site rules, and you seem at times out to just upset other members because they dont like Tmobile.

Not every company is for everyone, espically when it comes to coverage. your posts like the ones in this thread are not benefiting anything honestly.

20. 714tmobile

714tmobile Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

I had a 6133 and it had the best reception out of any of the phones I've had with TMO. My fiancé finally made a complaint to the BBB and that seemed to give traction to our complaint. In the end, we were both let out of our contracts without an ETF. You might have the same luck if you try that route.

I feel your pain, I was with them for 6 whole years and up until recently it was fine; when the service doesn't work then it's really not service is it? ;-)

Best of luck to you and your husband

21. Neva

Neva New Member

Thank You....

I am really not trying to get out of the contract...I am just trying to get a phone that has service and if it doesn't, get a company that does. I use my phone for when I need it, not for entertainment like a lot of people and when T-Mobile says tough luck that I have to pay to end the contract then I am not a happy camper.

This is my first time for a forum like this and it is very enlightening.

Thanks, Neva

22. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile

Maybe I am biased, but I don't feel as though I am wrong, I have posted while having a few beers on here before and if that offends someone sorry. I don't think it's fair to attack me I feel as though the post I made was honest and relevant. But if my posts truly are not benefitting anyone than I guess I will cease posting. I am trying to help and really don't need the criticism while I am donating my time to give insight from tmobile's point of view.

23. Neva

Neva New Member

Since I am a little new at this....will you let a dummy in on what the letters BBB, TMO and ETF stand for. Thanks,

24. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile

you're no dummy BBB is better business bureau, TMO is tmobile, ETF is early Term fee.

25. Neva

Neva New Member

Thanks....I feel better now that I understand the letters.

26. 714tmobile

714tmobile Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

sorry for the acronyms :) wasn't trying to confuse you or anyone

27. Neva

Neva New Member

Can you explain to me about Wi-Fi or wireless cell phone service? I guess this is suppose to help me get better receiption but what about cost?

28. 714tmobile

714tmobile Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

Well I probably don't have the most in-depth answer on it but it is my understanding that wifi calling is something that T-Mobile offers at an extra cost to allow you to use your cell phone over your existing Internet connection. I've never tried it nor do I know anyone who has but it's supposed to be a good option for people who use their phones indoors a lot and have poor reception. I say that if you aren't getting what you are paying for to begin with than you might want to switch carriers instead of investing more $$$. That's just me as a consumer but to each their own :)

Out of curiosity, where in CA are you trying to use your phones?

29. Neva

Neva New Member

I am in the Yuba City, Marysville and Beale AFB area. Beale is the real problem child since I have a Tupperware Kiosk there and can't get any service at all.

30. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile

Almost but not a hundred percent I do agree with the point though that if you're not happy with the initial service you may want to consider changing companies.

The WiFi calling or unlimited hotspot calling works like this...you need existing cable or DSL service, a wireless router (can be purchased through Tmobile) and a WiFi calling capable phone (again through tmobile). You can sign up for a 9.99 add on that will make all of your calls while you're connected to your or any WiFi service unlimited as long as they originate on the WiFi connection. But you don't have to pay more to use for just a better signal. If you don't pay the 9.99 then your calls are rated according to your plan. I have talked to people that have the service and I recommend if you are interested to probably try the Blackberry Curve or Pearl 8120, if a more basic handset is your forte then the the Nokia 6301 is a nice one. Hope this information is helpful. Good luck.