Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Is your local Analog cellular network turned off yet?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Jay2TheRescue, Jan 8, 2008.

1. shango

shango Junior Member

My Phone:
    M800, v266, w315
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    If your talking about Verizon their network was always overloaded here in LA. My phone was always falling back to analog during prime time, morning/evening commute. I was so glad when Alltel moved Sprint up above VZW in the prl. The VZW network just seems to be overloaded.

If anything, I would think the analog control channel would add to desensitizing the cdma receiver at the tower and now that thats gone cdma should work better.

It seems like att us fading away. Im now getting only 1 bar and its a different control channel. Something has changed.

2. Analog man

Analog man Member

My Phone:
    Motorola timeport p8767
    Wireless Provider(s):
    pageplus
    jerro, you talking about 850 or 1900. everyone on verizon 850 noticed it to, evan all digital phones were afected...i realy realy realy need ATT

3. shebbo

shebbo New Member

Hi,
    At&t bought out CellularOne in this area in West Virginia.
    I have a bag phone for my Dad which he needs. They sent me a notice on my statement that it will no longer work as of February 18th, 2008. I checked it Monday, it still works.
    Today I talked to a great person at At&t (I wish all customer service people could be like her) and she told me they would be down August 31st, 2008 "No exceptions"!

4. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    Your talking about the main drawback to CDMA which in the industry is know as Cell Breathing or Cell Shrinkage. The more people that are on a CDMA tower the actual coverage area will shrink because the site will cut back power.

5. Analog man

Analog man Member

My Phone:
    Motorola timeport p8767
    Wireless Provider(s):
    pageplus
    it cant because of all the people, its been like this for a little over a week now, 24/7! not many people use the phones at night, right, so why is this signal dergration constantly happening, at work, down in albany, i could get full strengh analog on my microtac, and full strengh on my a-310. now, the brick is useless, for now, and the a-310 gets 2-3 bars i might get 4 if im on the highway. im not sure what the rx is because i dont know how to get into service mode on a samsung

6. danielkarluk

danielkarluk Junior Member

I assume you mean 7.5 miles. I have picked up a nextel signal from 15 miles away with my boost phone. When i am using boost loopt, the screen will display a map of the cell site location. I think thats a pretty good range considering that i dont live on a mountain top.

7. Analog man

Analog man Member

My Phone:
    Motorola timeport p8767
    Wireless Provider(s):
    pageplus
    just curious, how hard would it be to convert a cdma or gsm signal to work on an analog reciever? i know some of you guys are saying JUST GET A NEW PHONE FOR CHRIST SAKES, but onstar systems arent easy to replace and there are no 3watt phones curently in cdma, not evan the motorola m-800. just curious, it be a fun little project to waste a few hundrend bucks on.

8. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I dont remember if it was the FCC or not but back in the TDMA and Cdma ONE days there was a big push to limit cell phone power from 3 down to 1/2 watt. All of this is controlled by the network, more than likely all of your analog phones were only running 1/2 watt transmit.

The additional power for TX will not help how much signal (bars) your phone recieves. The extra power was so that the tower could hear the mobile phone better.

The bag phones tend to get better signal due to the recieve characterisic of the analog single, better reciever and the use of external antennas.

Your better off getting a different CDMA or GSM phone that have better a better reciever.

9. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    if it could be done with some know-how and a few hundred bucks it would have been done already. Try a few million (at least). Don't forget your legal fees and other costs associated with getting FCC approval to use your modified device.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Is this now a religious forum too? This type of language had nothing to do with the topic. It is very offensive to many.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. shebbo

shebbo New Member

Hi,
    At&t just bought out CellularOne in my area in West Virginia. I have a bag phone for my Dad which he really needs to have. They told me there would be no service as of February 18th, 2008. I checked it on Monday and it still worked.

I talked to a customer service person at At&t yesterday(really great customer service) and she told me I should be able to use the bag phone till August 31st, 2008. After that, nothing!
    They are giving us a little more time because of the switch.

12. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Have you looked into either getting an amplifier/repeater or the Motorola M900 series phone?

-Jay

13. shango

shango Junior Member

My Phone:
    M800, v266, w315
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    With cdma all the users must be hitting the tower with pretty much exactly the same signal level. If someone was putting out 3 watts cdma the tower would disable the phone or shut down. You would block the tower from hearing any other users. The tower sends power commands to the handset something like 600 times per second.

Making an amp out of a 3 watt phone is totally unpractical because a cellular amp has to be bi-directional and the electronics/filters are not there in a 3 watt phone.

14. Analog man

Analog man Member

My Phone:
    Motorola timeport p8767
    Wireless Provider(s):
    pageplus
    hmm, i could knock out other phones if the tower doent give me power commands! thats scary. well i still need to find a use for all these microtacs, uh, boat anchor?

15. Master Tech Grinder

Master Tech Grinder New Member

The best way to meet your local FCC rep is to boost a digital signal....:)
    Trust me you do want to do this unless you have lots of cash to burn to pay your fine.

16. Master Tech Grinder

Master Tech Grinder New Member

By the way, have you tried a phone that was made in this century? ie post 2007, evdo chipset??????????????
    no right to complain with old as ____ electronics designed to last less than 24 months.:cool:

17. nmt

nmt New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW - But not by choice
    A lot of the Alltel Lucent Auotplexes & 2M's are being turned off in NV. They're just keeping enough on that are sharing w/ GSM.
    Many sites are duplexed to the antennas through the AMPS/TDMA/GSM.
    I'm hoping to get involved w/ the removal of the equipment later this year. Cha-Ching :browani:

Curt
    Nevada Microwave & Tower

18. Analog man

Analog man Member

My Phone:
    Motorola timeport p8767
    Wireless Provider(s):
    pageplus
    i know there is no altel os us cellular around here, but im still getting a signal of some sort. in testmode on an old microtac, comand 45 see how strong the signal is. before febuary, i got a signal strengh of 32, now im getting 12. when the phone is under normal operation, it gets no service. very interesting, wonder i hooked up and amp...

19. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    I just picked up USCC's analog on SID 309 atop Crowders Mountain in the Gastonia / Charlotte, NC area.

I had a 16-minute successful, clear call (Rx Power was -104)
    while looking at the Charlotte Skyline, the Rock Hill, SC area, and the Werstern NC mountains..

The USCC analog tower was at least 60 miles away, north of the Charlotte area, near Wilkesboro, NC.
    USCC does not cover the Charlotte area at all.

Crowders Mountain rises about 800 feet above average terrain,
    the call dropped as I got closer to the bottom of the small mountain.

20. Analog man

Analog man Member

My Phone:
    Motorola timeport p8767
    Wireless Provider(s):
    pageplus
    50 miles! dang! did u get digital to?

21. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's

yep i noticed this with some of my friends VZW phones. when we goto ATL or a big city, VZW suffers from it bigtime. it definetly seems CDMA is alot better in rural, far out areas, or areas of lower usage/per tower.

i havent ever really had that problem with my GSM phones but maybe one or 2 times, but ive noticed the weather plays a factor as well, wether its hot or cold, rainy or clear.

22. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    Nope not on SID 309.

It was pretty hard to maintain any digital call at the elevation I was at due to pilot pollution.

Since Verion removed analog, it was easier phone my phone to see USCC's analog
    (which would be on the same band as Verizon, the 800 MHz A-Carrier).

All I had to do was set the phone to NAM2, and analog only.
    I programmed NAM2 on my phone to only search for non-Alltel signals.

SID 309 is in the NW NC area, and continues into Western VA.
    The minimum distance to the nearest USCC analog tower was 50-60 miles,
    but the tower I was using could've been 80-100 miles away!

23. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    It also depends on the system. Many large cities do very well with a well built CDMA system.

24. shango

shango Junior Member

My Phone:
    M800, v266, w315
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    If the user has a yagi digital is good for well over 40miles. I dont know what these people are talking about. and the fcc is not requiring any conversion, but they do state no coverage can be lost...but interesting [​IMG][​IMG]

25. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    CDMA does very well in cities as long as it is build well and has the capacity available to it.

Verizon has been adding the capacity to sites for EVDO but may have neglected to add more for voice.

Where did they get that 15 mile crap from. GSM and CDMA can do 30-40 just with the handset.

With a Repeater and a yagi you could extend that as the tower would believe the mobile is actually closer.

26. MicroTACelite

MicroTACelite New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The AMPS service was running in the city until early March. I was still able to make calls up until about the 25th, then they just got the busy signal. I think the towers finally went dead the first week of march.

27. Analog man

Analog man Member

My Phone:
    Motorola timeport p8767
    Wireless Provider(s):
    pageplus
    that sucks, well, i still plan to use my microtac, evan without AMPS running, any guesses how?

28. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    The Alltel AMPS is still going in Alabama and Georgia. I picked up the AMPS on SID 302 in Atlanta, which is about 30 miles fron the nearest Alltel site in Newnan. However, the reading was at -114 dBm and I was not able to connect.

29. MicroTACelite

MicroTACelite New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I had one of those DynaTAC 6000 carphones built into the center console of my car... the beast had a fax modem too! You could imagine the dissapointment when that thing stopped picking up a signal and my faxing-while-driving capabilities were gone!

30. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    My uncle was telling me a while back that his dad worked for Xerox in the 70's and there was all sorts of cool stuff. He said his dad had a wireless fax in his car in the 70's, but Xerox deemed it "Technologically interesting, but nobody's going to pay for it".

-Jay