Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Is your local Analog cellular network turned off yet?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Jay2TheRescue, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    This thread is for people to report when they notice an absence of analog signal, and to also track when carriers create new PRL's that ban analog roaming. Don't forget to post your location, and which carrier's analog is turned off (if known).

To start, it was mentioned in another thread that analog roaming has been removed from Alltel's new PRL.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    VzW's analog seems to be disappearing slowly here in Los Angeles.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    The following post is also in this thread: VZW Users

Analog roaming is now over for Alltel customers.

It looks like Alltel has already made a PRL that erases roaming on Verizon's Analog Network.
    With Alltel's newest PRL (20029 & 30029), I cannot use Verizon's Analog netork.

In the older PRLs (up to 20008 & 30008) I was able to roam on Verizon's analog network.

Now, When I try to make a call on Verizon's analog network, I get the following error message:

"Welcome to Verizon Wireless, Please hold, your call is being forwarded to a cellular operator.
    You make a credit card, calling card, or collect call. Announcement 13, 0139-025"
    And then it just hangs up.

The end is now for Alltel customers who want to roam on analog. Analog roaming is over.
    The only analog left for Alltel is it's own, but that will be shutdown soon.

4. AL904a

AL904a Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo Pro700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW & Sprint, & "the carrier fka Cingular"
    I just set my Motorola V710 for Verizon to "Analog Only," here, in Jacksonville Beach, Florida. (at&t has both 800 channels in this area.) My phone cannot find an analog signal in either "Automatic 'A' or 'B.'"

My Verizon PRL on that phone is 50863.

5. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    There has to be some sort of analog signal available in Jacksonville. Do you think Verizon has blocked analog roaming along with Alltel?

-Jay

6. AL904a

AL904a Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo Pro700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I thought the same thing. That is why I included my PRL in my post.

I will see if I can find an analog signal with an old, unlocked Nokia 6340i (GAIT) phone.

7. AL904a

AL904a Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo Pro700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I cannot access that information with my Nokia 6340i. When I insert an at&t SIM card, that card disables my menu choice to select a network. When I insert a T-Mobile SIM card, I gain the ability to select a network. I see at&t and T-Mobile networks, but do not have the ability to see whether an analog signal is available.

That information may be available when I activate "Field Test," but I cannot interpret many of the Field Test screens. Can anyone tell me which Field Test screen, and what to look for?

8. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    not sure on Gait if you can toggle back and forth between GSM and TDMA/Analog for the test mode.

Normally on GSM you will see a BCCH or CCCH and you will see a -DB reading such as
    -83 which will normally get you full bars. A band GSM will be 133 to about 180 for your channel number.

If you see TDMA you will see a DCCH channel number and it will say camping underneath it.
    These numbers tend to be 700 to 1000 for the channel number

Analog you will see ACH it you are on a analog beacon.

On most nokias you can see all this on page 1-1

9. AL904a

AL904a Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo Pro700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    On Page 1-1, I see the following:

131 -86 xxx
    0 4 x xxxx
    18 19 85
    CCCH

On Page 21-02, I see:

ACCH
    xxxxx

There is no other reference to ACCH.

10. DanPFW

DanPFW Member

My Phone:
    MotoK1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    CDMA
    I've got an easy way to find out a possible timeframe when a network will be shut off.

Find someone who is using an analog phone and see if they've gotten a letter from their carrier since the FCC is requiring carriers to notify their customers 4 months in advance and again at 30 days before the network is turned off.

Analog-to-Digital Transition for Wireless Telephone Service

I'm not sure if this rule applies to people with analog only plans, but it sure doesn't sound that way. It sounds like if a carrier knows which customers have analog/digital phones activated, they must send them a letter.

Dan

11. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Alltel got rid of there analog around my area last year around late march. Don't know about cell one (at&t now)

12. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):

The page 1 you have is GSM 850 A Band. -86 is your power which is almost full bars
    the first set of XXX on the top row is your tower power which only show up when on a call.
    the 0 on the second row is your radio time slot 0 signifies the controll channel.
    The CCCH is carrier control channel.

ACCH could be the analog control channel on that phone, most of the ones I seen were ACH for control and AVCH.

On most Nokias if your press an hold the star key for 5 seconds you will get a description of what the numbers mean.

13. Analog man

Analog man Member

My Phone:
    Motorola timeport p8767
    Wireless Provider(s):
    pageplus
    got a question for yall, was there digital service in the same area as analog before analog was shut down?

im on vzw in the bay area and my analog seems to be the same, if not being stronger :eek:
    still can make calls on vzw network, but i got one question, took an un activated phone and forced it in roam, got this error message "We do not reconize your moble number as an autherized user, if your a new customer and receive this recording in error, dial 611 for support....." any one know what company this is? because i can get 4-6 bars with these guys most the time.

14. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    By Law they cant turn it off. They probably removed it from their PRL so only analog only phones can use it. The FCC has been allowing carriers to cut back the analog as its not required to cover as many people as it did before.

I have been on Alltels and Centennials analog. In a couple of the areas I have been Alltel (centurytel area) TDMA.

15. Analog man

Analog man Member

My Phone:
    Motorola timeport p8767
    Wireless Provider(s):
    pageplus
    well did some reading, by law they must have analog in my area because digital is not fully enstablished in my area. the analog signal is better than the digital. by law there must be some form of cellular tecnology in the area were analog is, if there is, the cellular company may shut off the analog network. the digital signal must be equal or higher before the can phase out amps in my area. sssoooooo, by law i must be able to use the current amps network util they make the digital network equal to the analog coverage wise.

well for all those wondering about analog in there area, i'll break it down.

If you have both analog and digital, and digital service covers the same or greater amount of area, the cellular company may shutdown there analog network

if you have both analog and digital or analog only and analog is covers greater area than digital or analog is the only avalible technology, than by law, analog must be kept running

16. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I have been dealing with this alittle lately, be had 2 towers not far from each other so we didnt up grade one from Analog to GSM because there was a GSM tower a couple of miles down the road. But the GSM tower is 1900 so when the analog goes down it wont have the minimum blanket of coverage so we had to upgrade that other tower to 850 GSM.

The requirement are real vague by the FCC. It doesnot have to be the same exact signal level as analog. The limit is -110 signal coverage but most carriers have the handsets to drop the call once the signal goes to -107 be cause the uplink from the phone to the tower goes to crap. Higher numbers are bad, lower good. Full bar is approx around -83-84 depending on phone. So basically your phone could be at the 110 min but not let you register on the network.

17. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):

More that likely you are on the old GTE Mobility Network. Hit 611 and sees what happens.
    The GTE equipment (analog) will be at the same tower as Verizon and usually in the same building.

18. Analog man

Analog man Member

My Phone:
    Motorola timeport p8767
    Wireless Provider(s):
    pageplus
    wasn't GTE bought off by verizon? if thats the case, i shouldn't get charged for roaming, right?

19. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon was a merger of sorts between GTE and Airtouch and a few others and the joined companies changed their name to Verizon. So no roaming.

20. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    In Tallahassee, FL, the analog providers, Alltel and AT&T, both have their analog on as of now. I made some test calls from my old inactive VX3300. My AX4270 often goes into analog at work if I dont force the phone into 'CDMA only' mode.

21. R11290

R11290 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple IPhone 3G S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    In my area, Alltel's analog network is still operable. My mother's LG AX-275 switches to analog frequently in her work (a hospital) if she doesn't force it to CDMA only mode. Often, I'll call her and definitely can tell she's on analog with static galore in the background.

22. shango

shango Junior Member

My Phone:
    M800, v266, w315
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I was just roaming around Nevada and there were several analog only alltel towers left. 4 in california, and 4-5 in nevada.
    Also verizon had an analog only tower in Rachel nevada. My alltel phone worked fine on it. Im in LA most of the time and really havent noticed it going away. Yet...

They dont include those people who have tri mode phones and are way outside the digital radius that drive up the road everyday to that hot spot where they can call out.
    There are a LOT of people who are going to loose service. Just wait and see, its going to be interesting.

23. Analog man

Analog man Member

My Phone:
    Motorola timeport p8767
    Wireless Provider(s):
    pageplus
    im gona say a few things...
    1. Analog is like the duct tape and nails that hold wireless together. without it there will patchy signals and less coverage

2. im possitive there will be analog still in waste land areas because there is no point of upgrading them when there few people that will use it, and the people who do are often spread apart. as we should know an 800mhz fequency will travel farther than an 1900mhz one, assumming they have the same situations (hills, weather, cellphone quality, line of sight, and so on)

3. There are more people in the cities than wasteland areas, what the survice providers are probly talking about are city slickers living in digital areas were everyone uses digital and almost know one uses analog, but that doesn't mean that there not affected. went south to sanfransico and noticed that there still parts of the city that have analog only.

i'll add more later

24. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Look at it this way... once they shut it down in the cities they'll have tons of spares to maintain the boondocks.

25. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    They would have to, My company is running Lucent and Nortel Analog and TDMA and they dont support the stuff anymore.

Most of our my area my company and Alltel have overlayed all of our analog and for the most part Digital has better coverage. There are a couple spots were we picked up a couple of smaller companies were GSM is 1900 and maybe 100 foot tall and down the road 2 miles will be an analog only tower thats 400 foot tall.

Analog wont effect GSM customers as much cause most of gotten use to the fact of not being able to use it. That was always one of my pet peeves is not having a tri band Analog/TDMA and GSM phone similar to the GAIT phones.

For those Alltel areas that is the old Western Wireless turf. If you look at the Requirements for Alltels buyout, if there speed up their E911 efforts they wont have their Federal assistance restricted. Alot of those Alltel sites are Analog repeaters up in the mountains. (sometimes called extenders) Those counties must not be E911 capable or Alltel is getting the crap fined out of them for not being E911 capable on those analog towers.

I probably wont be able to make an analog call as my company will run TDMA till the end and my phone cant switch back and forth manually. The TDMA is not much better My call will be clearer but any electronics near me better watch out.

26. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I would think if a site was not worth upgrading it would be shut down. The few customers with analog only and TDMA phones will be upgrading to digital within the next month or so. Are there any analog/CDMA phones still in production? I don't think so, I seem to remember people recommending older models (V710, E815) for people looking for analog roaming. If this is the case then the only people using these towers will be people using older CDMA phones. It would make sense to upgrade the site to CDMA so they can get roaming revenue from all CDMA users, not just the few with older CDMA/analog phones.

-Jay

27. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    No not yet. It's on. I forced a call today. I think Verizon will wait until the last day because they support OnStar.

28. DanPFW

DanPFW Member

My Phone:
    MotoK1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    CDMA
    OnStar ended support for Analog customers on 12/31/2007.

ONSTAR | ANALOG-TO-DIGITAL TRANSITION

Carriers will begin turning off their analog equipment when they're legally able to do so.

29. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Well Verizon analog is still on here regardless.

30. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Verizon still carries CDMA+analog phones. The Samsung SCH U340 and the Motorola W315 are the only recent models that are tri mode (that I'm aware of).

On Alltel, the 2 VZW phones I mentioned along with the LG 145 (and maybe the 275) are also tri mode. The U340 is known as the Snap on Alltel. I am sure Sprint has some as well, I just dont know which ones.

So there, tri mode phones are still made and supported by the CDMA carriers.

By the way, the E815 is an all digital phone; no analog.

#30 QLR, Jan 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2008