Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Is Unlimited Roaming Really Unlimited?

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by nick2588, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    That is interesting that Sprint's coverage at the Utah state campus sucks this bad. I have been up to the Utah State campus a few times with a Verizon and T-Mobile phone, and both worked flawless throughout the Cache Valley. A member named AgentHibby used to live in Logan and was very happy with Verizon coverage there. AgentHibby said that AT&T/Cingular sucks up there too.

2. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Verizon is the best, with T-Mobile as a very close second (Verizon wins in my opinion because I have coverage underground in parking structures, campus building basements, etc. where T-Mobile had no service -- but apart from these anomalies, T-Mobile has great coverage of Logan). Next comes Sprint's mediocre coverage. And then way behind everybody else is AT&T.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    So it's like T-Mobile's Hotspot @Home? Sounds pretty good, except the price.

I just Googled it and the first article that came up said "What if you don't care about using up minutes and just want to boost the signal in your cell phone black hole of an apartment by routing calls over WiFi? Sprint's got you covered, for $4.99/month."

It's a nice idea, but there should be no monthly charge if you are burning your minutes. I'm fine with burning minutes, but I don't think I should have to pay a monthly fee just to improve my coverage. I understand the monthly fee if calls on WiFi don't count, but I don't understand why Sprint needs a monthly fee for this if it uses your minutes. I will be using my phone more, so I will be more likely to have overage charges, etc., right? Isn't it enough that I have to pay who knows how much for the hardware device itself?

I really am excited about the technology, but this is what it really comes down to: Free roaming on Verizon vs. paying a few hundred for the device plus $5/month to improve my coverage myself? Verizon 1, technology 0. Such a hard decision... :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah............everyone honestly is expecting this great thing to rival HotSpot@Home when its actually worse..............the only advantage is that it doesnt require special handsets.............it works on standard CDMA frequencies...........but thats it

5. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    No, it actually sounds much better to me. Being able to use all existing handsets is definitely a plus. Sprint definitely has the right idea and they are attempting this in the right way.

My two complaints are simply that the price is wrong (I won't pay any monthly fee if it is still going to use my minutes) and I think it is somewhat ridiculous that the device doesn't provide an EV-DO broadband data connection for the phones.

6. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Well only time will tell how good the hotspot wifi things are and will do.

7. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I really hope that all carriers will start to develop something like this Hot Spot @ Home and make it affordable for users. Sure, in T-Mobile's case it does decrease minutes used on their own network (which is also a good thing) but at the same time, customer satisfaction will increase because users will be able to have perfect coverage at home.
    If I had T-Mobile and liked their T-Mobile@Home capable phones, I would pay for that service, drop my VOIP and make all calls through there- that's better than having people try your home then cell number, they can just always reach you at ONE number, and you won't have to watch your minutes when at home.

8. lennyj17

lennyj17 Junior Member

Sprint Advantage over VZW w/Airave (Based on what we know)

- Solid Coverage throughout you home garnteed (unless you dont pay your bills)

- Still Cheaper then what you spend on VZW waiting til 9pm for Nights

- Uncrippled Phones (Compare a VZW Razr2 to Sprint's, Lets just say VZW flamebaed their verision)

9. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yes but T-Mobiles is stil better because the voice quality is supposed to be significantly better over VoIP rather than cellular.......T-Mobile will expand their line of handsets to include more HotSpot@Home capable phones.................Sprint doesnt have EVDO on the AirRave and they charge you the 5 for a coverage expansion

basically you're renting a repeater instead of buying one.........and in the end AirRave fees will eventually equal the price of a repeater

10. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

Let not have a carrier bash here this is about roaming lol.

11. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    very true i just dont see the beauty in AirRave at all and he does.............sorry if i sounded hostile :(

12. JHawkBox

JHawkBox New Member

A couple things. AirRave is different than a repeater as it creates its own signal (i.e., it's like a mini basestation) versus repeating a signal. Second, my understanding of the release will be a small monthly fee ($5?) but all of your usage on the AirRave will be included (it won't deduct from your plan minutes). So, it's unlimited usage on the AirRave for a flat fee.

13. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    that strange cuz most of us are under the impression that it uses monthly minutes :confused:

14. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Here is a statement in an email I got from ecare on the subject. I wrote about if I were to move to another area with strictly roaming what the consequences would be here is what they wrote.

15. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah well a while ago when i texted while roaming it listed on my account as international text messagin when they were really domestic messages

16. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    lol must have routed through mexico

17. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well it hasnt happened at all recently and now i actually text while im roaming a lot

18. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Oh I see.................

19. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah so thats what has me confused..............it just randomly stopped happening

20. JHawkBox

JHawkBox New Member

Just launched in two markets today. The details are in the press release. Looks like unlimited minutes for $15/month or $30 for a family. $50 charge for the device.

Sprint Customers in Select Areas of Denver and Indianapolis Get AIRAVE for Enhanced In-Home Coverage and Unlimited Calling: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

Press Release Source: Sprint Nextel
    Sprint Customers in Select Areas of Denver and Indianapolis Get AIRAVE for Enhanced In-Home Coverage and Unlimited Calling
    Monday September 17, 8:00 am ET

Sprint Introduces Industry-First Femtocell That Works with Any Sprint Phone for Convenient, Reliable Wireless Use at Home
    OVERLAND PARK, Kan.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sprint (NYSE:S - News) customers in select areas of Denver and Indianapolis will now be able to enjoy enhanced wireless coverage and unlimited minutes in their homes with today's limited launch of the Sprint AIRAVE by Samsung in the two cities. The Sprint AIRAVE is the first commercially available femtocell, a compact base station that works with any Sprint phone and a broadband Internet connection to provide enhanced in-home wireless coverage plus unlimited calling.
    "With the AIRAVE, Sprint is delivering an enhanced in-home coverage solution that's simple to access, low in cost and compatible with any Sprint phone," said Ajit Bhatia, director of product management for Sprint. "In addition, with unlimited in-home wireless calling, the AIRAVE makes it even more convenient for customers to rely on their Sprint phones at home."
    With the Sprint AIRAVE by Samsung, Sprint customers can:
    • Get enhanced coverage in their homes.
    • Talk all they want while in their homes, without worrying about using their wireless minutes. Unlimited incoming and outgoing calls and nationwide long distance are included while using a Sprint phone at home.
    • Take advantage of enhanced coverage and unlimited home calling without having to purchase a new phone. All Sprint phones are compatible with the AIRAVE.
    • Reduce their monthly communication expenses. AIRAVE service is priced at just $15 per month for individuals and $30 per month for families, in addition to the customer's regular wireless voice plan.
    • Easily install the device using their existing broadband Internet service and a power outlet.
    • Have their calls automatically transferred back to the Nationwide Sprint PCS Network when they leave home.
    Starting today, Sprint customers in select areas of Denver and Indianapolis will be able to purchase the AIRAVE at area Sprint stores for $49.99. Sprint plans to make the AIRAVE available later this year to customers in the remainder of Denver and Indianapolis, along with Nashville, and to customers nationwide in 2008.
    For more information regarding the AIRAVE's availability in their area, customers should visit www.sprint.com/AIRAVE. There customers can enter their ZIP code to find out if they are in a limited launch area. Customers not in a limited launch area can then register on the site to receive notification when AIRAVE is available to them.
    About Sprint Nextel
    Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including two robust wireless networks serving 54 million customers at the end of the second quarter 2007; industry-leading mobile data services; instant national and international walkie-talkie capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. For more information, visit Welcome to Sprint - Cell Phones, Mobile Phones, Plans for Personal and Business Wireless.

21. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i found two disadvantages................if you begin a call within the AIRAVE coverage area and move into Sprint PCS Nationwide network it will hand off but going from Nationwide PCS to AIRAVE does not work............

also..............Sprint billing system recognizes tha handoffs between PCS and AIRAVE so it will separate the call into the two separate parts................meaning that if you start the call on AIRAVE and hand off onto the PCS network then it will start using minutes.............unlike Hotspot @ Home from T-Mobile where if you start the call via Wifi and hand off to cellular it doesnt notice the handoff and allows you to continue the call for free on the cellular network

advantage...................muc greater range than the T_mobile @Home service because it is using cellular frequencies instead of short range WiFi

22. JHawkBox

JHawkBox New Member

Biggest advantage I see is using your existing handset.

23. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yeah the price is not that great

24. JHawkBox

JHawkBox New Member

Guess it depends. If you can drop to a lower plan and use the unlimited minutes at home, with better coverage, sounds good. Depends on the person.

25. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Come on, that is pretty much to be expected, isn't it? Honestly, I'm surprised that T-Mobile doesn't charge for calls that are handed off to the GSM network from WiFi.

Exactly. I think Sprint has got a great technology here, and that seems to be the only downfall in my opinion. The T-Mobile solution requires buying a new handset, but it would even be attractive if there were no monthly fees.

26. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    that is a pretty big adavantage......

this isnt what T-Mo opts for its just that the billing system doesnt recognize the handoffs

27. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    You are right you have me on that one.

28. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I agree- too expensive for the service, although using your existing phone with the service definitely is a plus,

29. Gman

Gman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    If it is true that it can be used for no monthly fee and use plan minutes I think it's a great thing. Also, the battery life is another big plus over the wifi solution.

30. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    very true.......the wifi does kill the battery