Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Is this do-able?

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by 87horsepower, Jan 31, 2005.

1. 87horsepower

87horsepower New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6010
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    I apologize if this is the wrong forum. I have lurked here for a while but never posted anything :O I am not real bright when it comes to cellular talk.

Anyway, I currently have two outdated phones, one on a Cingular TDMA plan and one on an AT&T TDMA plan. I would like to replace at least one right away with a 6230, but the price from Cingular is just too high. The Amazon deal looks much more attractive. Is there anyway to keep your current phone numbers when purchasing from Amazon or other agents when you are not actually changing carriers, but rather just upgrading? If not possible directly through amazon, could I keep both of my current phones active and get Cingular to transfer my current numbers to the one (or two) that I buy from Amazon when they are activated?

Thanks for your time,
    Keith

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    The prices you see on Amazon are probably for new customers, not for customers still under contract. Why won't cingular give you a good deal? How far into your contracts are you and when did you last update your equipment? If you tell us that we'll be able to help you better.
    Please continue to post here, whatever questions you might have, we'd be more than happy to help! :)
    Andy

3. 87horsepower

87horsepower New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6010
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    All the contracts are up, and have been for a while. I am still just paying the same price for the plan I had under the contracts. I've had one phone for about 25 months and the other for about 27, both were 1 year contracts. Cingular wants $219 for the phone, although there is a small rebate, depending on whether or not you are signing a two-year contract with them. Before I'll pay that, I'll just buy one outright.

When you say the amazon deal is probably for new customers, do you mean for an entirely new customer who does not have any service at all with Cingular? Or did you mean it was probably not available to people under Cingular contract?

I have thought about ordering one from Amazon and cancelling one of my current plans when it arrives, or shortly thereafter. I figured I might try one to see if it would work, even if I could not keep one of the numbers. The other number though is very important, and I can't let that number change.

4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I don't understand why Cingular will charge you an outrageously amount of money for upgrading your phones, considering you're not within contract anymore. I'm not exactly sure how Amazon and Cingular work, I'll have someone else help you further since i really don't want to mislead you.
    Andy :)