Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Is there such a thing as "Free Incoming calls" ?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by SirMack, Jul 14, 2002.

1. SirMack

SirMack New Member

Is there such a thing as "Free Incoming calls" ?

Hi guys,

I have been shopping around in my area, the Pensacola, Fort Walton Beach, Niceville, Crestview, Destin Area here in Florida. The best deal I have been able to find is $100/month for 1,000 anytime minutes and 4000 night and weekend minutes with Cingular.

I am going to be running a business off the cell phone and this will be my main phone connection with my customers. So it needs to be reliable, and I need to have enough minutes to take care of customers.

Someone told me that there are some companies out there offering FREE INCOMING phone calls, is this true? if so, what are the restrictions? If I could get a *real* plan like that then it would be awesome, as I won't be making many calls, mostly receiving.

Thanks in Advance! [​IMG]

2. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Nextel is the only company I am aware of that offers Free Incoming Call plans right now.

Nextel

3. SirMack

SirMack New Member

<< Nextel is the only company I am aware of that offers Free Incoming Call plans right now.

Nextel
    >>

I read that on their website. But does this include folks calling my cell phone from a normal land line? or is it only free if the person that is calling me is on the nextel network using a nextel cell phone?

4. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Call Nextel and ask them.

Cingular had offered free incoming when they started up here California. Typically, you will find that when a company is trying to get their foot "in the door" of a new market, they will make offers designed to grow their customer-base very quickly. Once they feel fat & full, they stop "feeding frinzy" offers and their growth starts to slow a bit. I've seen it with a few companies and right now I am seeing it with T-Mobile (Voicestream) here where I live. I just picked up their brochure. They are officially launching here tomorrow.

5. Jackson

Jackson Junior Member

With Nextel all calls that are received are free of charge. cell and land line.

6. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    BellSouth Mobility DCS now Cingular (GSM) did the same thing here too Kevin. They offered free incoming calls when they first came into this market around 1998 and offered them until 2000.

I was under a free incoming plan myself with them for over a year, however those plans have long since expired and they never brought them back. Too bad the free incoming call plans they had at the time was a really good deal.

7. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Nextel would be I good choice for the free incomming.

Also if voicestream is in your area they have a regional plan that is 3000 anytime minutes that would be good for you

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T(Me),Cingular(Me,Mom),Edge Wireless(Dad)
    Cingular in California has an option for free first incoming minute.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Michael/ Sirmack you may also want to take a look at Alltel in your area for $99.00 you get most of Florida as your calling area and:

Included Minutes: 6500
    Anytime Minutes: 1500
    Off-Peak Minutes: 5000
    Additional Minutes: $.25
    Roaming: $.59
    Long Distance: $.35

One thing I have learned with Alltel also (I've done this twice.) If you bring in your own phone, (buy one on ebay if you have to...) you can usually talk them out of making you take the standard contract or paying anything extra for Month to Month service. It kinda depends on your approach and how the manager of their retail store is feeling that day.

If you do have to take a contract Alltel does have it's new 30-day policy. I usually am not in your area so I cannot vouch for their coverage.

10. SirMack

SirMack New Member

Thanks for all the advice guys! Looks like I will be visiting NexTel to ask them about their FREE incoming plan. I will then probably visiting AllTell to ask them about their plans, and finally Cingular. Those are the BIG three companies in my area. Not much about Sprint PCS as they just hit the area a little under a year ago.

I won't hardly ever be using the cell phone, so if I can be getting FREE incoming it would be awesome!

11. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Let us know if we can be of more assistance

Jack

12. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    ALLTEL did have a local unlimited plan, however it gives you a smaller area and I don't think they offer it anymore. I can't find it on their website anymore, nor have I seen it advertised around here any more.

The calling area was smaller but still for a unlimited minute plan it wasn't that small. Check and see if they still have that plan avaible and how large the coverage area is if they still have it. I'm pretty sure they no longer offer that plan anymore but you can check anyway just to make sure.

13. WirelessBeachBum

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Alltel launched that Unlimited Plan in their Charleston SC Market...(which covers Hilton Head and Beaufort also.) Shortly after Hargray Wireless launched their unlimited plan. Alltel pulled the plan one week later due to capacity problems (similar to what you see at cricket, from what I have been told.)

14. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    ALLTEL also offered a unlimited plan here too, it covered Morristown, TN to Wytheville (Spelling?), VA which is a pretty good sized area. I think it was $69.95 a month and you was able to make and receive unlimited calls while in that area. They no longer offer it anymore though.

15. SirMack

SirMack New Member

Well guys, I visited AllTel and NexTEL today and here is what I discovered.

AllTel, Unlimited Local Area Plan, EXTREMELY Small and they charged $1.15/minute if I was outside of the area. It was $79.95/month with a $35 Activation and no free phone.

NexTel, has the FREE Incoming Phone Calls, CallerID, VoiceMail + 300 Anytime Minutes for only $59.95. This also includes a FREE Cell Phone and free activation. for $10 more I can add web browsing, AOL Instant Messenger, AOL Email, etc. And for $10 more dollar I can even add Free Nights and Weekends. So for $79.95 with NexTel I can have an extremely LOADED package with a free phone.

I am curious, is NexTel a pretty decent company? The lady at the shop says that they have the best coverage in the area, since they share most of the same towers used by Cingular and AllTel, and they have quite a few of their own. So in essence she claims they have more towers available then any other provider. True you think?

BTW&lt; the free phone that NexTel is throwing in is the i30sx Phone. Is this phone decent? She claims that the sound/transmission quality is the same on all their phones, from the free one all the way up to the $400.00 one. Is this true also?

Image link here: http://nextelonline.nextel.com/websales/images/medium/i30sx_m.jpg

Please let me know, as NexTel is letting me borrow a phone for a day tomorrow to 'test out' in a sense. I will most likely be signing up with them, unless there is something I should be aware of. Thanks!

Here is a link to an interactive demo of the phone:
    http://nextelonline.nextel.com/phones_plans/vphones/i30sx/index.htm

16. WirelessBeachBum

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    You said this phone was going to be your "main" contact with your customers, Nextel's push two talk service works pretty well across their network, but when you get that test phone, be sure to test the cellular portion of their network, (sending and receiving) calls everywhere you plan to use their phones. In my experience, the voice quality and reliability of their cellular product is lacking. But Push to talk is the primary reason most businesses in my area go with them.

17. SirMack

SirMack New Member

<< You said this phone was going to be your "main" contact with your customers, Nextel's push two talk service works pretty well across their network, but when you get that test phone, be sure to test the cellular portion of their network, (sending and receiving) calls everywhere you plan to use their phones. In my experience, the voice quality and reliability of their cellular product is lacking. But Push to talk is the primary reason most businesses in my area go with them. >>

Could you explain what you mean when you say voice quality/reliability is lacking? Also, is quality/reliability dependant on the phone model?

I currently have a Nokia 6100 phone, 2 1/2 years old, with Cingular, and it sounds pretty good, only giving problems occasionally. The lady at the NExTel place claimed NexTel has more towers with a broader coverage range then any other cellular service available in the area. What kind of things should I look for or listen for when reviewing the service for decent/good quality?

18. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    SirMac

I would get a demo phone with nextel to make sure they have coverage where you need it. There is no analog back-up with nextel

Jack

19. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    First of all never believe what they tell you at the stores. Every carrier is going to tell you they have the best coverage even if it sucks to sell you a phone. Take the demo phone, drive around and make and recieve calls.

What WirelessBeachBum is referring too is Nextel doesn't always have the best voice quality. I've heard of people saying that Nextel has poor voice quality given its Iden technology compared to other major carriers. Also since they are Digital only and its pretty much a Nextel Signal or none at all, there may be dead spots. Try the phone everywhere you normally are while you have it out and see if it works.

I think Nextel has a 30 day return policy if you decide to sign up for them and after a week or 2 find their coverage lacking just cancel and get out of your contract.

20. SirMack

SirMack New Member

<< First of all never believe what they tell you at the stores. Every carrier is going to tell you they have the best coverage even if it sucks to sell you a phone. Take the demo phone, drive around and make and recieve calls.

What WirelessBeachBum is referring too is Nextel doesn't always have the best voice quality. I've heard of people saying that Nextel has poor voice quality given its Iden technology compared to other major carriers. Also since they are Digital only and its pretty much a Nextel Signal or none at all, there may be dead spots. Try the phone everywhere you normally are while you have it out and see if it works.

I think Nextel has a 30 day return policy if you decide to sign up for them and after a week or 2 find their coverage lacking just cancel and get out of your contract.
    >>

I see, so NexTel is pretty proprietary in regards to their signal, much like Sprint PCS and Verizon, eh? Also, I asked them about a 30 day period and they said that they have no return policy. But they did offer me a Cell Phone to take out tomorrow, although she says they are limiting it at 30 minutes max of talk time. is that typical?

She claims they have enough towers in the area that I should have total coverage. She only told me of 1 dead spot in the highway that is through a military reserve, a place where they have not gotten clearance to install cell towers from any provider.

So is the Voice Quality, overall with NexTel rather poor when compared to Sprint, AllTel and Cingular? What designates poor quality overall?

21. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Sirmac:What designates poor quality overall?

User perception, static during a call etc.

Jack

22. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I'm pretty sure Nextel has a return policy

Rich where are you?

23. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Nextel has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee

Jack

24. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    That's what I thought it was, yet he is the second person on this board I have heard lately stating that a Nextel employee told them they had no return policy.

25. WirelessBeachBum

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    About the Nextel return policy, Nextel has no "corporate stores" in my market they have several agents, could be that the agents are giving the misinformation about Nextel. In my past job I had to manage agents as well as my own retail and outside sales people, and by far the agents were the least qualified...I had one decent sized agent whose employees I went to train one day...I asked one of their new employees "what qualifications and experience in wireless they had?".....He stated none, he just was without a job so the guy hired him...Quite noble of the business owner, but after a few months of customer complaints about his store I figured out why that guy was without a job. In most cases agents do not pay as well as the wireless providers and seldom provide decent benefits, so generally you will see fewer sales ethics in these folks.

26. SirMack

SirMack New Member

<< About the Nextel return policy, Nextel has no "corporate stores" in my market they have several agents, could be that the agents are giving the misinformation about Nextel. In my past job I had to manage agents as well as my own retail and outside sales people, and by far the agents were the least qualified...I had one decent sized agent whose employees I went to train one day...I asked one of their new employees "what qualifications and experience in wireless they had?".....He stated none, he just was without a job so the guy hired him...Quite noble of the business owner, but after a few months of customer complaints about his store I figured out why that guy was without a job. In most cases agents do not pay as well as the wireless providers and seldom provide decent benefits, so generally you will see fewer sales ethics in these folks. >>

So you think that since they forgot to tell me about the 30 day return policy that they might be scaming me and lying to me about the service quality and such?

27. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Im not sure about that maybe you just talked to a uninformed rep

Jack

28. WirelessBeachBum

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    That's right Jack...More than likely it's lack of knowledge about the service that leads to problems...Ask them if they have read the back of the service agreement, and look and read it for yourself, no matter what a representative tells you, that agreement is your full contract between you and the carrier, (the agreements usually state this also.) When I started in my last position one of the stores I was over the store manager was only giving customers 72 hours to return a phone...I had to make him change his policy because our agreements said 30 days. Read your contract front and back...you'll probably be the first to do so.

29. SirMack

SirMack New Member

I called the 1-800 NexTEL Customer support # and they said that the return policy was only 15 days, and you can't have used the phone for more then 30 minutes. Quite ridiculous in my opinion.

The Voice Quality was pretty decent, the only problem is that the volume seems to fade in and out occasionally, or the volume might be low. Not ont he Cell phone end, but on the Land Line end of the person listening to me. But overall the quality was good, and there were only 2 real dead spots in my area.

I am curious, does the cell phone voice/transmission/receive quality differ from the various phone models????

30. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Ok I've heard anywhere from they have no return policy, 15 days, 15 days but only 30 minutes, 30 days. Nextel can't seem to make up their mind on the return policy. I decided to email Nextel myself and find out. I'll tell you guys what they say when/if they respond back to me.