Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Is the Nokia 8260 good or bad?

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by bobolito, Jul 9, 2002.

1. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Some people reported that the 8260 is being retired because of repeated problems. Now I want to hear what the WA community has to say. How many people in this forum think the 8260 has many problems? How many people think it DOESN'T have many problems? How many of you think it is a good, reliable phone? How many of you think it is bad and full of problems? I want to hear some opinions. This is strictly in terms of technical problems with the phone. If you happen not to like the phone because it's too small or the keys are too close together then your hands are too big and that doesn't count. Once again, this is only about technical issues with the phone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Also, please don't interpret my post as "if some are bad then they're all bad" nor am I saying that the phone is a piece of junk. It is possible then that there *may* be RF issues, more so than what AT&T would've liked -- ok, then it's possible we really don't know since AT&T has all that information. AT&T has technical specifications has to how phones should handle calls and switching between Digital and Analog, and perhaps it was *satisfactory* but perhaps still a little disappointing to AT&T's technical staff. How about this, I'll try calling AT&T CS reps (maybe 2-3 of them) and squeeze out them what their opinions are on this phone. Why would 3-4 AT&T reps tell me that AT&T has had some significant issues with this phone? I'll try talking to a couple more and see what they say...but just to re-iterate...ok, so maybe this phone isn't bad and shouldn't be labeled as "BAD."

Hey Kevin, are you out there? Didn't you try this phone and dropped it due to its performance?

Anyways, here's 2 recent posts from Howard's forum:

"I have had a Nokia 8260 and I did not like it. I bought it when it first came out so most of the bugs were probably not out of it. The reception that it had was not good. I am not familiar with the 6360 but it looks like a pretty good phone. There is only one drawback to the 6360. Its too big. I sugest if you are going to buy a Nokia phone you should go for the 3360. It the brand does not matter to you I suggest that you spend a little bit extra and buy the V60. The V60 is the best phone. If I was you I would cancel and go to a GSM provider like Voicestream. Since you are in Florida I don't think that Cingular is GSM there like how it is in California."

"I had a 8260, it does get bad reception... 6360 has a stronger rf antenna... voice dialing, memo's, etc. Larger phone book, battery life is better, larger screen, etc. More games and other features. I Do own a 6360, and i will continue to own it until nokia has a better phone"

3. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well, first of all, your post above should have been posted on the other thread, not here.
    Second of all, if we are going to start quoting posts, here's something also found at Howard Forums:

Nokia 8260 Review

Another 8260 Review (only 1of 6 people in the thread had a negative comment about it)

I did a search for "8260 problems" in Howard forums and only came up with two results! If it was that bad I would think there would be more people complaining about it. I also searched for "nokia 8260" and I had a very hard time finding any complaints about the 8260. About 95% of the search results are people selling and buying it and a small percentage asking questions about modifying the phone. Overall, I did not find a significant number of complaints about the 8260. Much more posts were found about people asking questions and selling and buying it than anything else. Also, I found more people speaking in favor of it than complaining about it but not a significant number to make any speculations. I specifically looked for those paragraphs you quoted, Kenny, but I got tired of searching and could not find them. I got eyestrain now. However, using the search strings above which as you can see were unbiased, it was far easier to find comments like these which by the way may give an explanation as to why some people have problems with the 8260:

"I agree wholeheartedly with you, Banned for breaking the forum rules. I believe that the 8260 is a much better phone. As long as you don't have just anyone mod the phone for you, the 8260 should not give you any problems. I just don't understand the thought process of people who complain about the 8260's build quality after they messed with the phone's various internal components when changing the faceplate! In my opinion, the 8260 is a solid and quality cell phone (both hardware- and software-wise), while the 3360 is big, glitch-ridden, ugly (it looks like an egg to me, but that's me), and cheap-feeling. Of course, this is just my opinion." - Melisande

"Right on Banned for breaking the forum rules!! I love my 8260 and I never had a single problem with it. I change the faceplate like every once a month and still no problems. Some people are just duh! and when they screw up on something they can't admit to that they can't do, they start this whole big mumble jumble about it. " - azn_angel

"I never had a problem with my 6.17 Nokia 8260. Abesolutely no problems... that is because all my modifications are done professionally at a Nokia Authorized Service Centre store. If you modified your phone, dont complain. The 3360 and 3390 are not up to challenge the 82 series. Even the head technician of Nokia claimed the 8260 is definately a higher quality phone than the 33 series." - Beef'N'Cheeze

"I strongly agree.. i think that the 8260 is the BEST TDMA on the market... and as for modding.... if you trust yourself enough, you are probably gonna do a petter job than the people at pacfic and 1st markham and chinatown and all these places... i'm constantly do the modding myself, and the first time when someone did it for me, they screwed up my phone, i had to send it back to Nokia for 2 weeks ='(.... since then i don't let anyone touch it! I constantly been changing faceplates and such, and i have NEVER experienced any problems since then..." - parapara

"8260 best tdma phone out there hands down" - crazeazn

But then again, like I said in the other thread, people only find what they are looking for....
    Also, if AT&T was so concerned about quality, why do they still offer the 5165? That one definitely has a worse RF performance and I bet you can find much more complaints about it than the 8260. Frankly, I believe AT&T had other reasons to drop the 8260, but no matter what they say, it was not quality issues.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Going back to the subject, I want to send the question out again: How many people in this forum think the 8260 is full of problems? How many people think it DOESN'T have any problems? How many of you think it is reliable and with great reception? How many of you think it has worse reception than other models?

5. Sporatica

Sporatica New Member

I switched from the 3360 to the 8260. So far, I have been really happy with the features of the 8260. BUT -- reception can be poor in some areas. (ok, I do miss the picture messaging on the 3360)

As far as mods go - the biggest problem I have had is finding decent (well made) after market faceplates / housings. The first on was way off (no screw holes, no place for the headset jack, etc...) The next 3 weren't much better. But, I finally found a quality supplier, and have a new looking phone (not bad with over 120 hours on the life timer :)

I was considering th V60t but have been hearing stories of breakage upon dropping. I keep dropping my 8260, and it keeps on powering up.

I guess for the money, I would definitely stay with the 8260. I was looking at the 8265, but am not sure if there are any real advantages over the 8260.

Does anybody have recommendatins re: 8265 vs 8260?

6. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The Nokia 8265's main advantage is it has a better internal antenna. That is going to give you better reception.

7. pang

pang Member

I had ATT 8260 and had no complaints except in an "extended area" along the Hudson River. Sometimes the signal got too weak and callers couldn't hear me. I recently changed to a 6360 and the signal is better, at least if I move around in the house in the same "extended area" I can change the signal and receive better reception. In a couple of weeks I'll try the 8265, if it has the same improved antenna as the 6360, I expect similiar results.

8. Nokiaman18

Nokiaman18 Junior Member

I used the 8260 for about 6-8 months on USCC and really liked the size of the phone and what not but had a really hard time getting a good signal in the rural areas at my house. That was why I then went to the 7160 because I had a kit. But all in all the time that I had the 8260 I loved it when I was in a bigger city but as soon as I went back home It would heat up because It would dump over to analog.

9. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sporatica, the 3360 doesn't have picture messaging. Maybe you're referring to another model?

10. Crazyboy

Crazyboy Member

My Phone:
    Samsung a670
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon...Maybe Cingular AGAIN
    No, my 3360 wcich was bought on new years eve has picture messages. I sent it to my best friends 8265 and she replied.

11. NateL

NateL Junior Member

The Nokia 3360 DOES have Picture Messaging. Now on to the subject from my experience the 8260 was a great phone, I had no problems. But there had been a lot of complaints, everyone either loved it or hated it!

12. rockon83

rockon83 Junior Member

i use the 8260. i've had it now for 2 years and 2 months with cingular. it's been excellent. i'm just tired of the same phone and want a new one. occasionally i think i should just keep it, since its been so excellent. i haven't really ever had any problems with it. i've got 350 hours or so on it.....as far as RF, i just started working at radioshack here in boston, and someone came in complaining about the reception they get with cingular on their motorola v60, in places i get perfect reception with my 8260. i've never seen another phone on the same network with a better signal reading than my 8260.....it's great...nokia rocks...

13. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The problem with the 8260 reception is not on the phone. It is the people putting their fingers on the antenna that kills the signal. It is a quite small phone and people have the tendency to unconsciously touching the back of the antenna and then they blame the phone. When you touch the back of a Nokia phone that has internal antenna near the top you chop off about 10dBm of reception. This may not make any difference in strong areas, but it can make your call bad and even drop it if you are indoors or in weaker areas.

14. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Can you guys tell me where picture messaging is on the 3360? I remember that's one of the features I lost when I moved from the 8260 to the 3360. Maybe your version of the 3360 is different than mine. My version is 2.06. Also, I could not find picture messaging as part of the features list in the Nokia website, the Phonescoop website or even its manual.

15. RyanM

RyanM Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T / Cingular Wireless [GSM]
    i have 2.06 and in my templates there are some pictures that can be sent.

16. FourLimbs

FourLimbs New Member

You're exactly right about people covering the antenna with their fingers. Nine times out of ten when I see someone talking on an 8260(or something equivilent) they are holding it incorrectly. I've compared my 8260 to many other internal and external antenna phones on my network and the reception is always on par with them. I've tried some other phones with more features, but I always come back to my 8260. It's a quality little phone if you mainly like using phones for talking
    [​IMG]

17. tylerdurden

tylerdurden Senior Member

18. Sporatica

Sporatica New Member

The 3360 that came with my AT&T service had Picture messaging. Menu - messages - text - picture (It even had templates) Just didn't have any screensaver function. I sent that flying heart to a few people.
    S

19. FourLimbs

FourLimbs New Member

20. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's news to me.....my 3360 does NOT have picture messaging anywhere. Maybe it's because it originally had v1.04 which I later had flashed to v2.06 which means the phone is from the first batch of 3360s. The interesting thing is why Nokia has never mentioned anywhere that it has Picture Messaging.

21. lilprincess2

lilprincess2 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    ~*~iPhone 3g~*~BB 8900~*~
    I have the 8260 for cingular and it serves its purpose for me. I've never had a problem with it then again i just use the phone to talk...lol..Its signal strength and voice quality is ok which i thought was great until getting a verizon phone as well, but now having that i can really hear the difference in call quality..lol..but its still ok. I've had it for 2 years and it works just fine, no problems what so ever, solid phone.

22. tophergannon

tophergannon New Member

hey there
    ---

well, since most of the people who posted here have an 8260, i figure this is a good place to ask this question...

when you put your phone to your ear (not in a call or anything, just simply powered on), can you hear hissing/static? i just noticed that mine is always making that noise.

please try this and let me know if it happens to you.

as for the question posed by bobolito, i love my 8260. there isn't a thing i'd change about it. i especially love its compact size and light weight, which makes it perfect for comfortably putting it in a pants pocket.

---
    christopher

23. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The hissing is only when the phone is actively transmitting. When it is idle, I hear no hissing at all. When receiving an SMS (not in a phone call), I could hear the bursts of data in the earpiece but it was very faint and my room had to be very quiet for me to hear it. If I didn't pay attention to it, I wouldn't even notice it was there.

24. lilprincess2

lilprincess2 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    ~*~iPhone 3g~*~BB 8900~*~
    Tophergannon, i think i know what you're talking about. When i put my phone up to my ear with it on but not making a call or anything and i listen, i can hear like a lil crackling sound off and on. It's always made that sound from day 1 and i've have it for 2 years now..lol..so it won't be a problem..there is though a hiss when placing a call like how bobolito mentioned, but that too is no problem cause you can't really hear it unless you're really trying to pay attention to it.

25. tophergannon

tophergannon New Member

thanks for the replies.

yeah, lilprincess, that's a better way to describe what i hear.

i guess if you've had yours for 2 years with no problems, i shouldn't be too worried.

---
    christopher