Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Is Sprint ever aware of tower problems?

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by Airb330, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    This one tower is STILL offline. It's rediculous and causes one entire mall to have no service inside (Verizon sucks there as well). It's right in the parking lot, I think they own it. Used to have 6/6 bars outside, now 1-2. It's retarded.

One tower was offline in Queenstown, MD. My phone went from 6/6 to no service the entire time. The Sprint (and Cingy) panels are right there on a water tower. The sprint panels had a lot of cables coming out around them. Obviously something was wrong. I bet next time I get to those outlets....it'll be offline.

Verizon *always* knew of a tower being offline. Sprint clearly does not. This really cannot help their nationwide network. 1/2 of it could be off and they wouldn't know!! I shouldn't even have to call 611.

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    *shrug* When my local tower went down due to flooding about a year ago all I did was call the Network Operations Center directly and told them the site ID # and location and that it was not working. They said they would send someone out and sure enough about an hour later I see a Sprint pickup truck driving up the hill to the site. Half hour later it was working again.

3. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    I would agree in saying that they do not know when a site goes down. There was a point in which a local site was 100% off for about 2 weeks, and they had no idea. They refused to send someone out to fix it and blamed it on my phone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Ding Ding! Same here.

Funny thing is, one day the tower was down in Dover. I called and got a trouble ticket instantly. Of course, when Sprint called me back 2 days later, they said it was never broke. Oh well, it did get fixed lol.

5. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Remember that Sprint customer service & tech support has no connections to the RF dept. so therefore they know nothing about towers being down. A trouble ticket will not help with a tower being down unless it's escalated 3 times (which is very unlikely but not impossible to happen) to get to the local level.

6. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Exactly. They would swear on their mothers that the site was just fine and I was crazy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    It really depends on how well staffed your local field operations is. Many nationwide are short staffed (This really is for all carriers too, not just Sprint).

It's really hard to find technicians willing to dedicate what it takes to maintain the networks in the capacity that the public is expecting/demanding. Some technicians like myself will keep the alarm pages up all day so the second a site goes ____ up we know and can act on it. Others wait until the get the email notification about the alarm. Also the issue could be known but out of the control of the carrier. We've had sites where T1's go down because of a LEC issue and they don't get it fixed for a few days.

Next time you call customer service ask them to submit a Clarify ticket for the issue.

8. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    It isn't the RF Department. It is Network Operations. AS someone else mentioned, it isn't always the cell equipment. The op's department absolutely knows when something is down, even the T1. Actualyl getting it fixed is another issue.

I know Cingular customer service can issue a ticket to operations...but I don't know the level of attention it gets coming from that group. Sprint just doens't give a sh!t about their customer service, IMO.

9. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    That's what I meant to say. But to my knowledge there is no trouble ticket with Sprint that can go to network operations in a timely manner. Not saying it's impossible but it would have to be escalated to the local level first and that could take 3 or 4 days.

10. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    wats the number for Network Ops

11. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Network ops phone number: 1-888-859-1400

12. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    But they'll refer you to customer service for coverage and connectivity issues.

13. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Normally yes. However on the two times I've called them I actually was able to convince them that a tower was down by providing them the site ID # and address. They even called me back to let me know they had fixed it (which they did).

14. CellGeek

CellGeek Sprint is the BOMB!

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    When you called, did you ask for a person or a department, or did you just tell them that you wanted to report a tower outage?

15. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    There are, I get them quite often. I don't know when the customer actually submitted the complaints but I get tickets asking me to check voice or EVDO coverage at specific locations.

16. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    All I said was that I was calling to report a tower outage. They asked me who I was and how I knew there was an outage. So I told them and it worked.

17. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yeah but most of the time it will never actually reach the local level unless the customer is persisent enough to keep it going. I remember it took me over a week and 3 call backs before I got it to the local RF dept. Even then they just tell you that they couldn't duplicate the problem and end up closing the ticket. It's really hard to prove your case to Sprint and you'd probably have better luck winning the lottery. ;)

#17 larry, Oct 1, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  18. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    We get a few a week to research and report back on but I honestly couldn't tell you how persistant these customers were to get the ticket opened. Most complaints though are about reception inside the house which we can't verify. If it works from the street it's good to go. More often than not the problem is with the customers handset and not the system though I have found a few actual site problems from those tickets also, ones that haven't set off an alarm yet.

19. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Well I had to be very persistent in order to get my case looked into. In fact it's very difficult to even convince them to open a trouble ticket for a coverage problem to begin with. I suspect that they would have to have a number of complaints from the same area before they would consider making any alterations of a tower or PN offset. One person calling in is not enough.

20. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Interesting how you say it is difficult to open trouble tickets regarding coverage/tower problems with Sprint because it is very difficult to do at Verizon too...maybe it's the CDMA carriers all together. ;)

21. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    That's a totally different scenario. Most customers don't call in requesting PN offset changes. The tickets we get come from one customer typically with a request that we call the customer upon completion of the ticket. These are normally for coverage/dropped call issues.

22. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yeah they try to give you the runaround as much as they can before they will actually open a legit trouble ticket with a number. I guess it really depends on who you get at customer service/tech support and how willing they are to help. Knowing exactly what to say is also an advantage.

23. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    But what can they really do about a dropped call issue? In the past 8 years I've opened a number of trouble tickets for various coverage/dropped call issues and I always get the same response at the end. "We're sorry we were unable to duplicate the problem"

24. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    That's exactly it, what can we do about it? Nothing! It's impossible to replicate the exact scenario that the user encountered the problem in.

25. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Right. My intention of submitting the tickets was mainly just to get a complaint on record so that maybe if they got enough complaints they would consider adding a new tower or something.

26. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    That is true but it's really funny when you know more than the rep you are talking to, lol.

27. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah.....its funny cuz some of the reps for certain companies know less than we do and most people on the national level cust care don't know much technical stuff......that pretty much ends when you get to the tech support department......they usually know what they are talking about........i know Boost is like that sometimes........they didn't know the difference between Calltones and the actual ringtones......:)

28. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Thus maybe the reason one group is called Customer Service and one is called Tech Support? Com'on guys you're being quite hard on the customer service reps. Don't expect a low level CSR to know what a PN offset is. Describe your problem in terms they can understand and you'll get a lot farther than throwing out terms and information that is above their head. If you're having coverage issues simply state that you'd like to open a ticket regarding coverage. Don't say Gamma sector on tower 233 is having trouble as the CSR will likely not know what you're talking about.

Just say you need a ticket opened and be persistant about it. If the first one doesn't want to do it, ask for a supervisor and just move up the chain.

29. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Speaking for myself, I have never tried to throw around technical terms with a customer service rep. I didn't start doing that until I actually got a call back on my ticket from one of the local RF people in Irvine. He was surprised when i starting talking about how PN offset 081 was not handing off to 363 when driving up a certain road and as a result was dropping calls. :D First thing he asked was how I knew so much about this and if I had worked in the industry.

30. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah my friends who arent as into this as much are always weirded out.......

one of the things im really good at is if people tell me the area code and prefix of a number in my are i can usually tell them if its mobile or if its landline and what company its from.....

theyre like why arent you working at the telephone company???

lol