Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Is Nextel the only game in town?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Are there any other vendors that provide Push to Talk capability...like Nextel?

2. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    At the moment...no.

I read somewhere that they are developing the technology for CDMA. So, eventually, we might see Sprint and Verizon with this capability.

3. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Malial....that is not true....there are actually 2 others in the US that have it....but they are not nationwide: Southern LINC - Southeast Pacific Wireless - Central California Both provide it. There are also many others around the world.

4. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Dobby-Both of your other choices are nextel partners

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Jack...
    southern linc just recently became a partner with Nextel on November 12, 2001. But they do run their own system that "covers 127,000 square miles in the Southeast, including major metro and rural areas in Alabama, Georgia, southeastern Mississippi and northwest Florida."

I can't find too much info about Pacific Wireless other then a while back Nextel bought much of Pacific Wireless spectrum.

6. Rich

Rich Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    Yes,... Nextel is the only game in town. They have purchased most of Pacific Wireless and are currently looking at Southern Link, they currently have an roaming agreement with each other for the time being, witch give's Nextel customer a great advantage in the Southeast. I don't foresee see any other carriers having a "two way" service in the near future, it's very expensive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...