Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Is Nextel Considered a Monopoly??

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by CellguyNY, Dec 15, 2001.

1. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

Dear Forum:

This issue has had me bugged for sometime i know the iden phones are patented to one company by Motorola and that is Nextel, but what Nextel offers for its phones, plans and accessories is preposterous. They have one of the hardest credit checks in the business and are asking a little too much of the customer to get their phones. Now currently you have to have excellent credit (not too much or not established will not do)two forms of ID which can be a drivers license, credit card, us passport, ss card etc. You also have to sign an addendum form plus the regular contract and there phones not that its there fault take a maximum of 24 to 48 hours to be turned on. The second NExtel asks for a thumb print and a blood sample i will have to extradite them from my company, its a little ridiculous. Not to mention in the credit check they check ten years back. I think it might be due to the ongoing fad amongst teens for the radio ( i guess it shows independence or its just the better thing to show off) but there plans start from 39.99 and go up and at the lower rate plans they don't offer voicemail and call id like the other companys. So with the addition of this direct connect feature its safe to say that i believe this is a monopoly. Well its actually probably a legal one according to the US patents office. But i was taught in school you need only to change an invention only 30% to get a patent for it. SO will some phone company come up with something similar so we can stop the madness of Nextel. I personally own a I1000 great phone but Nextel can be kind of snobby in customer service and have a constant problem with busy signals on the direct connect during the evening hours here (rush Hour) not good, thats why I am glad to have two extra phones in case of emergency with that thing.

CellguyNY
    Keeping the center of the big apple filled with a fresh new perspective on the direct connect feature.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not about to get into the LEGAL definition of monopoly or whether NEXTEL meets it.

But "Yes!" NEXTEL is the EXCLUSIVE licensee of the Motorola iDEN protocol used in their phones and they have rights to the ONLY frequency bands on which the FCC allows the particular services which they offer to operate (basically direct radio-to-radio connections).

You are aware, of course, that NEXTEL is supposed to be offering business radio services in a trunking radio band. "Cell phone" is only a 'permitted' -- and supposedly casual, alternative use -- service. Nominally their access to the public switched telephone system is supposed to be for casual use only. I have always thought they abused that a bit.

But in a practical sense, there are so many other 'cell phone' providers out there that considering them a monopoly for that part of their business would be ludicrous -- and if not for that part of their business no one (including probably the business community) would know a thing about them.

But consider that IF their business practices were as restrictive as you imply they are, they would never get any customers. They were -- and supposedly still are -- a BUSINESS radio communication service. As such, they should be expected to maintain a higher level of business credit and similar commercial checks -- including potentially much higher deposits and longer lead times.

They must be doing _something_ right (wrong!) if they have managed to get even a single cell phone consumer. If their investors and management think they are doing what they intend to do, who am I to dispute them. Having said that, I would never consider them as my cell phone service provider. Their footprint is too small, their roaming non-existent, their data services suck, etc, etc, etc -- but I know people who use them faithfully and swear by them..... To each his own!

3. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member