Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Is AT&T reception outside of metro areas always poor?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Barbara, May 27, 2002.

1. Barbara

Barbara New Member

Is AT&T reception outside of metro areas always poor?

[​IMG]

I recently took Amtrak from DC to New York when the engine went on the fritz. We were delayed an hour and I needed to contact some people to say I'd be late. I tried to call out on my Nokia 8260 AT&T provider and had no luck. Either there was no service at all or reception was so poor, I had to disconnect. Everyone else on the train, using Verizon and Sprint had no trouble. After the train got moving, I continued to try to make calls and found that unless I was in a large metro area, e.g., Trenton, Philadelphia, etc., I couldn't call out.

I also find that when I visit my daughter in Easthampton, MA, my phone is useless. The same is true outside of Albany when I travel on I90. Is AT&T going to get any better? Are all providers bad in rural areas? Will Verizon give better service under all these circumstances.

I'm new to wireless stuff so please don't use jargon or abbreviations. Thanks. barbara

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    In your market-area, many people have made the same observations. Recently ATT indicated they have improved coverage in NY. Apparently it still needs to stretch out a little more.

On the west coast, their service stretches well into rural areas.

3. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    In my experience in CT, AT&T's coverage is only good close to Hartford or one of their other towers. In Storrs, I couldn't hit an AT&T tower ever. Same situation in Simsbury. With Verizon, I could full signal strength in both locations. I think AT&Ts coverage in the Northeast leaves something to be desired.

4. jarhead

jarhead New Member

Should have gotten Sprint pcs..

5. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I would also try a different phone. Depending on when you got your 8260 I know some have problems becasue of the internal antenna etc.

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Barbara

Barbara New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I got my 8260 exactly one year ago. I'll check it out tomorrow at my local storefront where I first signed up for At&T. Barbara

7. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    No problem let us know what you do

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. RUMMY

RUMMY New Member

AT&T Wireless SUCKS in between Trenton and Penn Station.

9. RUMMY

RUMMY New Member

I was refering to service while traveling within Amtrak/New Jersey Transit, have never experienced problems driving between Philly/New York City. The signal in the train is usually absent between Princeton and Newark.

10. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    From DC to NJ to PA, we have to blame Cingular for poor coverage as AT&T uses Cingular towers in that region. When traveling from Baltimore to NJ I've experienced weak signals along the way. However, inside DC and Arlington, VA the coverage is excellent though. In NYC, they have only improved coverage in Manhanttan. In north Jersey its good but not excellent, but in south Jersey is good near highways and Cingular is working on it. Currently, the Garden State Parkway and NJ Turnpike get good signal all the way to Cape May. Some people reported that while traveling at fast speeds (such as in a train) the phone may get disconnected because the phone gets confused trying to keep up with the tower change so quick. In my experience, the 8260 is one of the best Nokia phones as far as reception and dealing with weak signals. However, we cannot discard the possibility that if a Nokia phone is dropped on the floor, its ability to keep calls connected can become mediocre.

We cannot forget that Verizon has better if not the best coverage in the Northeast US and then Sprint gets all the credit from its happy customers because Sprint phones can use Verizon towers.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

I would suggest Barbara have her phone and its programming checked. It doesn't seem to be roaming properly onto Cingular. I know I get a good Cingular signal in Easthampton, MA. AT&T does not have their own coverage in Western MA. From the description of her travels, it seems as if she is only connecting with native AT&T towers.

12. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

We cannot forget that Verizon has better if not the best coverage in the Northeast US and then Sprint gets all the credit from its happy customers because Sprint phones can use Verizon towers.[/i] >>

sprint phones can analog roam on verizon towers if that is what u mean......its more like verizon gets all the credit cause its customers use sprint digital tower service all over the place.

13. Barbara

Barbara New Member

Thank you all for your suggestions. I decided to switch my service to Verizon since, after reading all the discussion on Sprint vs. Verizon, that seems to be the favored service in the Northeast (where I spend most of my time). [​IMG]

14. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    What do you think of the service

Did you first get your 8260 checked out and if so what did they say

Jack

15. MVL

MVL New Member

It depends on where you are, or more specifically, who AT&T bought out when consolidating. In much of the northeast (with the exception of NYC) AT&T built their network from the ground up and hasn't yet gotten around to building towers in rural areas. In places where AT&T bought 15-year-old cellular carriers (NYC for example) their rural network is far superior.

Also, don't expect great reception in general on Amtrak. Amtrak goes through mountain ravines, forests, and farms where many people simply don't live. And it's not cost effective to build a tower to serve the few minutes a day when a train is passing through an area.

-MVL

16. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It would probably be more cost effective to have coverage built-in the train.