Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

iPhone's 3G audio/RF: solves my problem

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by viewfly, Aug 22, 2008.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    The 3G on Apple’s newest iPhone solved a problem for me. At least I have one data point to claim that.

I work and live in several cities and buildings. As I posted last year or so, one building in the Boston area really has given me difficulty with RF and audio quality on my Nokia 6131. Even though I can see the tall buildings of Boston (Prudential, etc) and the RF (‘bars’) are ok, 2 to 3, my transmitted audio was very garbled. I think Bobolito and others have suggested that due to congestion on the GSM network here, my phone was going to half rate AMR codec, producing the garbled sound. I don’t know, but it mostly occurred inside the building, compared to outside. Hence the reason for ATT to get 3G going in Boston, like other congested areas. They needed more capacity. Outside with the 6131, the audio was just fine.

However and strangely, my older Nokia 6230 worked fine in both places, giving good transmitted audio. With the Nokia 6131, my wife refused to talk to me anymore ;).
    Anyhow, I was curious whether going 3G would help the situation for me. And it seems that it did!!!

I’ve been using 3G more for voice the last week. I noticed that my wife never mentioned anything about the phone call. I asked and she confirmed that it was much better. (I’m certain it had nothing to do with the diamond earrings I gave recently ;)).

So I did the nerdy test with my answering machine. I left a message using the iPhone in 3G. I had only 2 or 3 bars. The audio was perfect! I then switched to GSM. I had 5 bars now (which is an improvement right there). However, the audio was quite garbled. Maybe not as bad as I remember with the 6131, but distinctly of less quality than in the 3G mode. I didn’t think to retry the old 6230.

So Apple’s 3G iPhone may have given me a solution to a problem that I was hoping from it. Of course, it is just 3G in general, but I chose to get the iPhone.

FYI. Has anyone else been in the same situation?

BTW, there is 3G in some of the T stops in Boston, like Park on the Green Line. Downtown, outside, I had -51 dBm on 3G.

2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hi viewfly, I have been using 3G since May of last year straddling two devices. I did initially notice an improved call quality but forgot all about it until I went to Alasaka recently. There is no 3G in Alaska and although I had excellent coverage in all the cities & townships, I did notice that the voice quality was subpar to what I was used to.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I don't notice much difference between 2G and 3G. I have solid 3G coverage @ home, but when I drive to visit my parents their area is 2G only. Not much of a difference, but then again I have most of my devices hacked to force AMR full rate on 2G.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    My experience is that you will not hear it in reception; it's the person you are talking to that has the problem hearing you. That is why it is so insidious. One thinks all is ok, but it was not.

Plus, outside this one building, everything was fine. It was only inside this modern steel/ mirrored windowed glass building that I had the problem. Your situation may not be the same. And if you are forcing full AMR, it that is the reason, then no problemo.

vf.

5. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    It works well enough that when using my Moto V551's I have had numerous people comment that it sounded like I had called them on a landline. :)

-Jay