Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple iPhone X Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by M in LA, Nov 3, 2017.

1. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 23 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    With an upgrade available and the opportunity to turn in an excellent condition iPhone 6 Plus for a credit (which will drastically reduce the monthly amount of the phone), I pre-ordered the iPhone X 64GB Space Gray from Verizon last week (at Midnight, Pacific Time on the 27th). I had no problem ordering the phone via my carrier. I received it today, launch day.

So far, so good. There are new gestures to learn to do certain functions. For instance, in order to turn off the phone, you press the volume up and power button at the same time. With Siri, you long-press the power button. Face ID is easy to setup and it works really well. One of things I really like is notifications show minimal info until unlocked with Face ID. I used a backup of the 6 Plus via iTunes to set the phone up. I haven't really looked into all the different settings specifically for this phone (there are a few).

I bought the Belk folio case for the phone, as well as MaxBoost tempered glass screen protectors (comes 3 in a package). The X wirelessly charges beautifully with the Belk case on. Amazon has a ton of great cases for the phone, which is where I purchased the Belk case from. The MaxBoost package comes with a plastic outer form you attach to the phone to perfectly place the screen protector. I wish they used the form for all other phone screen protector installations. The screen protector does not interfere with any case used with the phone.

The X is fast. No lag. The screen is as beautiful as advertised. Just like all other Apple devices on iOS 11, auto-brightness is on by default. This drives me nuts. Now they've moved the option to turn it off in Settings>General>Accessibility>Display Accommodations. During the initial setup of the phone, it asks if you want "True-Tone" on. This feature adapts the OLED color to surrounding light or darkness.

I'll post a review, in a few weeks, when I've had a chance to really run the phone through it's paces (especially the camera functions and features).

Samsung and others may have beat Apple to the punch with near bezel-less displays, but Apple has done a great job with the X. Since iOS is all I use, this phone was worth the wait. We'll see if it's worth the cost (so far I think so).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I saw my first X in the Apple store today. My first impressions, in the store. No plans to get one at this time.

It is physically smaller than I imagined. Funny for me to say, but the 7,8 Plus series fit better in my hand, feeling more secure. I thought I’d never say that. The X felt smaller to me and had less grip because of my had size. I guess I have Trump sized mitts.

I was very curious about my opinion on the ‘notch’ in the screen. It’s not as awkward as I had conjured for the home screen , etc.

I opened a photo on the X, portrait and Landscape. Compared to my 7 plus... the X photo is smaller. Mostly in height ( short side and somewhat in the other long dimension. Even zooming in, the Plus screen size gives more useable viewing area than the X.

Also true for the mail app.

I thought my attraction would be a smaller phone and a larger useable screen. Not so, IMHO. That doesn’t work for me at this time. I may change and it will be interesting to see if Apple goes into a Plus phone size with the OLED screen in future generations.

Any other opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlyee likes this.
  3. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    @viewfly I haven't seen the X myself yet but it's interesting how some of your impressions echo those I've read in a couple of random reviews, specifically about the "smaller" screen perception.

The main reason I'm advising my wife to stay away from the X this year is I feel the improvements next year will be substantial and the current "buy-in" is a bit too high. It will be interesting to see next year if Apple will dispense with the 6/7/8 formula altogether and stick with X only. As one of the reviews mentioned, this year the market has finally seen an iPhone killer that people have been predicting since 2007 and it goes by the name iPhone X :D

M in LA and charlyee like this.
  4. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I think the X is selling better than the 8 series.

I predict there will be an XP (X+) in the future. An iPhone the physical size as the plus, but an bigger screen than X

5. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    @dmapr. The smaller screen is real, not a perception. The X has a pixel screen that is 2,436 x 1125 compared to my 7 Plus (8 plus too?) of 1920 x 1080. That is a ratio of 2.67 vs. the normal HD photo ratio of 1.78. Again, the phone is taller, but not even wider this time.

Seems larger, right? However the physical size of the X vs the Plus phones is about 1/3 inch smaller in the width dimension. The black side bezels are about the same, so the actual usable width ( in portrait) mode or height (in landscape) of a photo is smaller on the X compared to my iPhone 7Plus.

I suppose it might be more useful for panorama photos. But my main reason for going to the Plus was for a larger image in photos and maps (specifically golfing maps). So going to an X for me is not useful.

If one was upgrading from a 4, 5 or 6 series, and was nervous about the physical size of an 8 Plus, but did desire a larger screen, the X is a worthy step up, a notch. This is why I’m thinking that next year there’s will be a X plus...for those that don’t mind the larger sized phone...and wear cargo pants to hold them! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dmapr likes this.
  6. M in LA

My Phone:
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    As a big fan of the plus series iPhones, I thought the smaller X was going to be an issue. Surprisingly, for me, it's not. I love the size (and I will love it even more if Apple makes a larger version next Fall). Also for me, the notch is not an issue. It "disappears" after using the phone for a while. I don't even notice it anymore. The X is better than I imagined. The screen color is brilliant. I've gotten so used to the gestures on the phone that I mistakenly use them on the 7 Plus.

Pictures taken with the X are stunning. I'm guessing the 8/8 Plus pictures are as well. Apple's done a fantastic job with the camera. The phone is not perfect. As it is a prototype for Apple this year, there are kinks to work out. I will say they've knocked it out of the park for me. 11 days in and I love the phone more and more. Worth every penny, IMO.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    viewfly likes this.
  7. M in LA

My Phone:
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    One side note: I turned in the 6 Plus with the hope of the trade-in amount ($210) being applied to the X monthly payment, reducing it from its normal price. I come to find out that because I did not take part in the specific deal Verizon offered at the time of the pre-order, I ended up getting an account credit versus what I was told I could do (lowering the device payment plan).

Not happy with Verizon for misinformation, BUT... the good thing is, I won't have to pay a full bill until February. The only thing I regret is, knowing what I know now, I didn't need to trade in the 6 Plus, of which I would have rather kept (as a back-up), than get an account credit. The 6 Plus was a great phone that worked great from day one until I switched to the X.

Fortunately, the X monthly amount is only slightly more than what I paid monthly for the 6 Plus, so it's more affordable (for me) than I first thought. Also, I've been with Verizon (and predecessors) for so long, with great service, that I'll let the trade-in situation go. Now I know better for future reference.

8. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy
    Junior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nexus 6P
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    Are you using a case on your X? I've seen a couple of articles that they are fragile if dropped.

9. M in LA

My Phone:
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Oh yes. I have the Belk folio case, along with a MaxBoost tempered glass screen protector. I have cases for ALL my devices. I've dropped the 7 Plus a couple of times (it too is in a Belk folio case with a MaxBoost protector) and nary a scratch, broken glass or any issue.

palandri likes this.
  10. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Rumors for 2018. Currently the X is 5.8”

[​IMG]

M in LA likes this.