Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

iphone upgrade

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by cukoz, Dec 22, 2007.

1. cukoz

cukoz Junior Member

If you get a family plan on att, and I get a iphone, and say my wife gets a motorola flip phone, would I be able to upgrade as soon as a new 3g iphone came out and pass my 2g iphone to her? Would they sell the new iphone without a "new" contract? Anyway to get around this? I suppose I could always get a 3G iphone once they come out on ebay....

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    You could buy a new phone from ATT as soon as the 3G iPhone was released, but it would be at the non-contract price. It would not effect your contract or upgrade status.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cukoz

cukoz Junior Member

you mean I should just be able to upgrade to a new iphone without activating a new line of service?

4. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Correct. But unless I am mistaken, when Jay said a non-contract price, it means that more than likely, you will be paying full price for the phone. At least that is how it works for Sprint and Verizon when I bought a phone while still under contract.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. cukoz

cukoz Junior Member

but wouldn't the new 3g iphone be like $1000 without a contract unlike $500 with a contract?? Or are all iphones with out contract anyway??

6. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    not that all iPhones are without contract, but Apple does not want them discounted. I am sure there is some kind of premium you will end up paying for buying one before you qualify for an upgrade though. If I get a chance I will talk to my local dealer sometime this week and find out the details.

-Jay

7. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    As of right now the current iphone cannot be purchased without a 2yr commitment (at least from a store). Its hard to say if the 3g iphone will be this way or not.

Also as far as giving the wife ur 2g iphone, unless they change SOP of activations of iphone all together, her using it would technically renew her contract as just sticking her sim into it will do nothing.

I hope that helped answer ur question some. Keep in mind the 3g iphone maynot be out till 09 so a lot could change before then.

8. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i dont think so.....you see part of the exclusivity contract that Apple has with AT&T.......AT&T cant subsidize the iPhone.......so whether you sign a contract or not doesnt affect the price.........but i would assume that you have to sign a 2 year agreement to take advantage of the iPhone add on plan......however wouldnt you just be able to take the SIM out of your old iPhone and place it in the new 3G iPhone......i dont see how AT&T would charge you a premium for this.....