Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

iPhone Upgrade question?

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by AshRae84, Jul 19, 2008.

1. AshRae84

AshRae84 ...Formerly YourDream84

My Phone:
    iPhone5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (The New AT&T)
    Ok, don't kill me for asking such a novice question, but it seems the iPhone is a little different than most when it comes to this situation...

I have had my grandmother on my account for awhile with AT&T, and recently added my fiance (June 7th), converted to family talk, and we're all 3 sharing minutes now.

Well my fiance and I both wanted the 3g iPhone, and me, being the brilliant one that I am, didn't realize they were subsidizing them (OR we would've waited to add him to my plan), I'm eligible for an upgrade, so it's not a problem for me, but he, obviously, is not.

My grandma's phone is eligible in October, so we thought we'd just use her upgrade in October (She rarely uses her phone, and has no issues with taking my old phones).

So my question is, the iPhone has a sim slot, I know that, but it doesn't seem you can just switch sims as normal, because of the iPhone data plans, so would we just need to have all the phones in the store when we do the upgrade so they can switch it over to his number? Or how would that work?

Thanks,

~*Ash*~

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Wirelessly posted (Treo 750: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.06.3.1.17.0)

Hi Ash, here is my umderstanding of the iPhone SIM situation - it will only work with the SIM it was activated with, you can take the iPhone SIM & use it in a different phone fine but if you put a different SIM in the iPhone(than the one it was activated with) it will want to be re-activated & since it already is, somewhat goes into "never never land".

I maybe wrong hetr but my understanding of your situation is that your fiance & your grandmother will have to interchange phone numbers, since the iPhone will only work with her SIM.

Makes sense?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 charlyee, Jul 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  3. AshRae84

My Phone:
    iPhone5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (The New AT&T)
    Ugh... It'd be such a hassle to switch phone numbers, ya know?

I may just have to buckle down and pay the full price for his phone, because I don't think I want to mess with all of this...

~*Ash*~

4. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Ash,

I wouldn't try to figure this one by yourself. Just call att or walk into a att store (or do both until you get the answer that you want) and tell them, quite frankly what you want to do. If it means bringing in your grandmother, or have her talking on the phone to verify her SS#, I'm sure they will do it.

I've done similar things in the past. They want to sell phones and have you re sign a 2 two contract, plus get the 30$ revenue per phone for the data plan. So they will see it as a win-win situation for all concern. You just need to find the right rep that will see that too.

Good luck.

5. AshRae84

My Phone:
    iPhone5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (The New AT&T)
    Well my grandmother is on my plan, so it's in my name, she has no credit, so I just got her phone through me. So I wouldn't need her there really. She just gives me the money, and I pay her bill...

It seems they'd do this, because I've been using my grandma's upgrades for awhile now... so I get a new phone every year, and she gets my year old phone. (I added her a year into my contract, so we're about a year apart on upgrades.)

~*Ash*~

6. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Wirelessly posted (Treo 750: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

Ash, I agree with viewfly that you should go through AT&T. My suggestion would be to take it to a store & find the right person. The iPhone is different because of the SIM situation. If you wait until October you might have a better chance since some of the craze will have died down.

Right now, they will probably flat out refuse to give the upgrade price & activate the iPhone with your fincee's SIM.

Just my 2 cents. :)

7. hf1khal

hf1khal Who am I to judge

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    Situation is clear on this, get the iphone, get the plans then remove the iphone from the number and remove all the data from your features. Once done. take the SIM from the current IPHONE and put the SIM from his phone (it is the same SIM and I do not see anything different on it than my old one) then plug into ITUNES to activate, and the system will then ask that you need to add the data which you will proceed. What you can also do is go to the AT&T store, and buy it and immediately activate it on his phone instead and I am sure they will do it if they were nice enough.

8. AshRae84

My Phone:
    iPhone5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (The New AT&T)
    Thanks so much guys! Ya know, before I got my iPod, I always said I wasn't going to every buy anything Apple, because they were such a monopoly, but now I'm addicted. :-(

I think I'm going to go ahead and get mine now, and he'll get to play with it, see if he likes it, then if he does, we'll attempt it in October, and see what happens.

~*Ash*~