Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

iPhone RF and Audio Quality?

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by viewfly, Jun 15, 2008.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Does anyone have iPhone RF and audio quality opinions? How does it compare to other brands in non city locations?

2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I can't tell you about rural coverage, but as far as RF quality, it does quite well. One thing I have to mention is that I use the phone on T-Mobile, which isn't the best in my area. Nonetheless, I have yet to have a dropped call while using the iPhone.

Audio quality is better than I expected. I don't hear the same GSM hiss I hear on other phones, but I can't say the phone's audio is the best I've experienced, though it's not bad at all.

Overall it's a pretty decent phone. The UI is phenomenal. It is missing some things, but the 3G version addresses some of the shortcomings.

I'm happy with it, but it is not the greatest phone I've ever owned. Don't believe all the hype.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    crackberry's
    the regular iphone is not good in low signal areas. alot of breaking up and noise.

IMO the new 3G motorolas are good and Samsungs. att 3G devices seem to have much better RF particularly at low signal ranges. i would expect the 3G iphone to be the same.

4. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Wirelessly posted (Treo 750: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

viewfly, Couple of my friends have the iPhone, I find the voice quality on both the Treo & the 6131 clearer & more crisp. Signal strength is hard to judge since I am in a very strong at&t area.

Ofcourse I maybe a tad bit biased :D

I look forward to your take on it. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Thanks everyone.

I decided today. Come July 11th, I will be picking up the iPhone!

6. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    We'll be on the same boat, but I will wait a bit longer than that.

Although I was deceived by the audio quality transmitted by the iPhone. Picks up a lot of background noise and distorts/garbles too much.

7. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    i agree, but believe the 3G one should remedy these things.

Blackberrys also pick up a huge amount of background noise generally also, i use to think it was just a flaw of bar phones. but since i went back to my 8525 ive noticed that 3G helps block out alot of that background junk you here, and you get a better sound.

HTC needs to work on their speaker phone though, its terrible in SQ compared to most phones.

8. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I guess I will be missing this boat for now. :)
    I hope the 3G one is better. Although the voice quality on my 6131 is much better than that of the iPhone, as is the the voice quality on the BB Curve. So I am not necessarily convinced that with no other changes, going 3G will be the cure for the poor voice quality on the IPhone.

I guess we will know from our very own viewfly pretty soon. :)

9. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    no,No,NO...

I 'm putting my fingers in my ears, I don't want to hear negatives now that I made my mind up!

It took me too long to decide on a new phone. You guys are bursting my bubble :mad:

JK. My significant daughter (SD) tells me that her friends sound fine. But she has a BB.

When you guys say audio quality, of course you mean the way the iphone sounds to you on whatever phone you have?

Probably because the iphone user is doing that crazy ipod dance while talking. too much movement.

Bobolito, glad to have a tech companion going on my boat. We can get Charlyee to paddle with her Treo.

All seriousness aside, it is a fun phone with lots of features. There always is that return policy, so I will try it out. Plus I have 30 days to cool my heals until the 11th, or 12th, or 13th whenever I my turn in line will come up.

But I'm lucky, since it is suppose to be a present, my SD will be holding the place in line while I get a beer at the mall. :)

Plus I have 30 days to come up with a new avatar

10. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    This is why I wish they would put the mic pointed toward the face and not to the ground.

11. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I don't know what you guys are talking about regarding iPhone call quality. I've actually noticed an improvement in sound quality on the iPhone versus other phones I've used with T-Mobile. Maybe the issue is with AT&T.

I have passable signal levels with T-Mobile in my area and call quality still sounds fine. I haven't had a dropped call on the phone yet.

Viewfly, get the phone as you've planned. I believe you will enjoy it. Plus you will be getting a newer and improved version than the one I have, of which I'm happy with.

I've had the iPhone for over a month now and I am not enamored with it. I like the phone a lot, but I didn't get it with expectations that it would be the greatest phone I'd ever purchased. I goes quite nicely with the LG Voyager, though...:D

What I can say is the UI is second to none. It is nothing short of phenomenal.

12. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    viewfly, I hope it is all you want and more. I am looking forward to your review, it sure looks like you will be the first one on the board with a 3G IPhone. My answers are embedded within your post below :)

13. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's

the 2G iphone on the receivers end will sound very noisy. it just is not a crisp sound. i dont see it as a carrier issue as i have many phones on att and they almost all sound better on the receiving end then iphones usually do. 3G cures alot of the junk in a call from my experience with it.

14. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Oh, if only I could blame it on Samsung (of which only the Blackjack I like, BTW ;)).

Charlyee, I though you knew the Voyager and iPhone are :kiss: cousins? :D

Seriously though, I really haven't experienced the audio quality issues with the iPhone. My calls on the phone don't sound any worse than the different Nokia's I've used with T-Mobile. If anything I have the same issues with signal quality as I've had with other phones on T-Mo. I put the blame on T-Mobile's passable, but marginal, signal for that.

If there is an audio quality issue, I guess it hasn't been bad enough to make a noticeable difference to me. All I can say is that I like the iPhone. :D

15. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Yes, the Blackjack is very nice, too bad it didn't have a full function PDA. My A670 (CDMA) was also very good btw. ;)
    No comment! :D
    Well first of well I meant the the voice quality on the receiving end. I have never called out on an iPhone so I don't know how that is. Secondly, I have very sensitive ears, I can tell whether a friend of mine is on his 6126, V3xx, or the SLM and for the record, he sounds the best on his "Crappy Samy";)

#15 charlyee, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  16. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hmmmm, whom might that be Charlyee?:DAnd for the record the SLM's bulid quality is not better than the 6126. Where the SLM feels a little cheap in my hand, the paint peeling all over the place on the 6126 is unacceptable for a Nokia.But getting back to voice quality, I never noticed the difference between the two phones and others have said I was crystal clear on my 6126.

17. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Thanks WA members for all the feedback.

I'm still getting the phone as of today. I just wish they would give long term subscribers some break from standing in line on July 11th.

I might have to make use of that hidden iphone (and ipod ) feature. Take the two earbuds, rub them against each other in a circular motion, separate them, say, 'CLEAR' in a loud voice and apply to your chest. The battery has enough charge for one heart restart.

I might pass out in the heat, standing in line at the mall.

In the meantime, I'm looking what kind of case to get for it. Any suggestions?

18. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I am partial to Sena Cases. They seem to only have the pouch styles for now for the 3G version, but I am sure other styles are coming.

You have to get it in bright red ofcourse. :D

19. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    thanks Charlyee. BTW, I'm working on my ipod dance moves.

One thing I always like to have is the FM radio. I will miss that. But it occurred to me that with 3G and WiFi, listening to NPR, even the local one, can be done on the web, through the iPhone. How dumb of me not to think of that before.

17 days left.

20. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yes, the Sena case or pouch looks perfect for me. I see it has the 3g for 29.99 and the other styles are 'coming soon'. I think I will go for the black :)

21. Steven2420

Steven2420 World Champions Baby!!!!!

I am with you Viewfly, 100%. Can't wait till Friday!!!

22. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Or, until Monday when you return it.:rotfl:

23. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Why return it when you could probably ebay the :censored: thing for more than you paid for it?

-Jay

24. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Since I started this post, I will add my comments now that I have 2 3G iPhones.

The received audio and transmitted audio is the best of what I've had over 13 years with my phone. Must be much improved over 1st iphone.

The clarity is perfect, even with 1 bar. Crisp, clear, not garbled, little background noise. This is 2G, not 3G btw.

Very happy. Better than my 6131 so far.

25. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I agree. I was shocked at the clarity. I noticed a drop in call clarity from Verizon to T-Mobile that I blamed on GSM, but using the iPhone 3G seems to rival Verizon. My mom even commented how clear _I_ sounded after saying hello.

26. hf1khal

hf1khal Who am I to judge

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    Today I got to use both the 2G and the 3G in the same location. I can say that the 3G (with 3G on and off) bested the original in call quality. The signal levels were prety much the same (with 3G shut off on the new one).

27. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Has anyone updated their original iPhone to 2.0 and paid attention to audio quality? It looks like the improvements are probably hardware, but I was wondering if they made any changes to the software.

28. hf1khal

hf1khal Who am I to judge

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    On the original iphone, the update did not make much of a diference.

1 person likes this.
  29. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I would imagine the software wouldn't make any difference in sound quality. Just about the only thing you can change in software is the volume level. But the quality is mostly hardware dependent.

30. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Noise cancellation and filtering can be handled in software. I assume the primary audio codec is pretty solid--either standardized or as good as it gets. Chances are its handled in hardware, but like the white point on the display, software still has an effect. Volume is the only thing user-controllable from software, but if Apple wanted to, they can do a lot of audio profiling to and adjustment to make the most of the tiny speakers and provide good quality at a variety of volume levels.

I have already noticed though that you can get some ugly noise out of the AOL Radio with the app volume and external speaker volume both turned up.

Does anyone know if the GSM audio codecs specify the actual encoding, or is it like MP3/AAC/etc where the encoders vary and have different parameters for profiling that result in a different quality results despite producing a compatible stream?