Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

iPhone: One year later

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by SteveW, Jun 4, 2008.

1. SteveW

SteveW Battery mgmt is my life

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    iPhone: One year later

Few companies have penetrated such buyer mind share in a single year, one analyst says

By Matt Hamblen, Computerworld
    June 02, 2008

What a difference a year makes. This month, the hip iPhone celebrates its first anniversary, following its riotous launch last June 29. Its birth followed six months of prerelease hype that was ignited by Apple CEO and industry luminary Steve Jobs.

The company that brought you the Macintosh computer, and the fabulously successful iPod and iTunes, has jumped -- well, dive-bombed, really -- into the wireless phone business like no cell phone vendor before.

Consider that more than 1 billion cell phones were sold globally in 2007, with thousands of models introduced. But the model that had everyone's attention for much of the year sold just 5.4 million units through March 2008, according to Apple. The company predicts that it will sell 10 million devices this year, partly because of innovations in the iPhone 2.0 version due this month.

No cell phone, nor arguably any electronic device, has ever generated so much interest so quickly.

More...

SW

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Not even the original Moto V3?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

The RAZR was a successful device, but it didn't have tons of news stories written about it months before it came out. People didn't camp out in line for days for the privilege of buying one on release day. The RAZR was a successful phone.. the iPhone is a cultural phenomenon.

SW

4. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I figure since the V3 was the hot device when released, and almost everyone has had at least one in the few years they have been out. I doubt Apple will ever hit the market penetration that the V3 enjoied.

-Jay

5. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    The only thing with the V3 is that Cingular had the exclusive for the first 6 months. Only when the CDMA V3c and the addition of the Black V3 came out did it really take off. Also, this is when the priced dropped from the ridiculous $500 range it originally cost.

6. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes, as I understand it, Motorola only developed a high volume strategy after the RAZR had been out for a while. Here's an article about the comparison.

iPhone May Sell Fast, But Not RAZR Fast

SW

7. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I think back when the RAZR came out there was just nothing like it and it blew peoples minds that something like this could be out there. With the Iphone sure it is neat but there were touch screens out before it so that part of it was nothing new. I dont know I think the Moto was a bigger audience that is pertained to.

8. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    Wirelessly posted (Walkguru's: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D062; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

as far as I'm concerned the iphone was a lot of hype. I'm just glad I saw tru it.

9. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Well, people can differ on how groundbreaking or exciting they think the iPhone is. I think it's very cool, but I haven't bought one. Jay and RJB are right that it will be a long time, if ever, before there are 50 million iPhones .

SW

10. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    If you are thinking of buying one, waiting for the new version will make it worth it. Having the first version, I can tell you it's a really nice phone, but it's missing some VERY important features and options. I'm happy with it, but it is more hype than anything. I don't regret getting it at all, because I knew what I was getting.

Just a few little tweaks and Apple really will have a true phenom on it's hands.

11. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I probably won't buy one soon, as my job already gives me a handheld computer, although not one as elegant as the iPhone. As you know, we probably won't have long to wait, since Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference (WWDC) starts tomorrow in San Fran. It's sold out, so anybody who isn't already there with ticket in hand will be watching it on the Internet with the rest of us slobs. Most people expect Steve Jobs to demo the new iPhone during the keynote and there are rumors that shipments of the new toys are already in the country, being readied for sale.

That's 1:00 Eastern, for me. I think I'll have to close my office door for a "conference call" around then.

SW