Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

iPhone GPS

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by spleck, Jul 25, 2008.

1. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It has nothing to do with the chip. This is all about how the software is optimized, for either handheld operation, or for driving operation. Some dedicated GPS units (like Garmin) have a software setting that allows you to use it in different environments (walking, biking, in a car) and it's all about changing a software setting that optimizes calculations for the type of usage. The iPhone maps don't have such options. That's why I said it works better when driving.

The difference between street and driving is because when you are driving, the software assumes you can't go off the road and it self correct minor errors that way and it expects moving speeds similar to car speeds. When walking, it knows you can go off roads or in random directions and takes that into consideration, plus it knows you can't go too fast because you're walking. This helps correct any errors.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #31 bobolito, Jul 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  2. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Sorry. When you said "GPS systems like the one on the iPhone", I assumed you meant the hardware. I'm more anticipating some kind of TomTom or Garmin software.

I haven't used any of the new units and mine doesn't do that. I didn't know the new ones did.

3. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    TomTom on my Tilt will ask me if its plotting a route for biking, walking, limited speed, etc. I just figured this weighed in on the types of routes to plan. For example, if I was planning a bicycle trip I want to stay off of 495... ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...