Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

iPhone Broadband sharring App Pulled

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by Ddeere2, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Ddeere2

Ddeere2 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS 16Gb
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    The NetShare application is back up on the iPhone App Store for its $9.99 price point. BetaNews was able to purchase the tool and sync it to the iPhone. NetShare works as advertised, although when the iPhone turns the display off, it also shuts off the Wi-Fi unless the device is plugged in.

For a few hours, iPhone users got the chance to download an application called NetShare that could turn the devices into a broadband modem for a laptop.

Developed by Nullriver, NetShare time on the App Store was brief, however. Apple quickly pulled the $9.99 application, likely due to the fact that tethering is considered against the terms of service of AT&T data agreements.

The carrier does provide a tethering option for smartphone users, but they are forced to pay an extra $30 per month for the option.

Essentially, NetShare works by creating a local Wi-Fi network between the iPhone and any device capable of wireless Internet. From there, you connect to the network and the iPhone's 3G or EDGE connection is shared.

Why or how NetShare made it through the manual review process is not known. It could be that wireless carriers in other countries are permitting such use, and its inclusion in the US store was a mistake.

Either way, Apple's not talking. Requests for comment have gone unanswered, and according to MacRumors, Nullriver's in the dark too.

"We're not quite sure why Apple took down the application yet, we've received no communication from Apple thus far," it told the site. "NetShare did not violate any of the Developer or AppStore agreements. We're hoping we'll get some feedback from Apple tomorrow."

Tests by BetaNews showed that the application had been completely removed from Apple's US App Store. Earlier reports indicated that NetShare had remained on the site, and attempts to download it were greeted with the message: "the item you tried to buy is no longer available."

BetaNews | Apple pulls iPhone broadband sharing tool from App Store

Has anyone tried this app? This seems like an awesome app. To bad they pulled it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I got there too late. But I'm not too interested in tethering. Besides I don't think att wil let people use it for free

3. Ddeere2

Ddeere2 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS 16Gb
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    You can go get it again. Apple put it back up. They won't say why they took it down and AT&T isn't saying anything.

Apple on Friday returned to its App Store an application that makes it possible for iPhone customers to use their high-speed Internet connections to provide Web access to a PC. Apple has not said why it took down the NetShare iPhone application Thursday evening, but the software's creator, Nullriver, confirmed that the application was available once again. "We're not quite sure why Apple took down the NetShare application yet, we've received no communication from Apple thus far," Nullriver said on its site.

Apple Pulls, Then Returns iPhone-PC Tethering App To Store - Yahoo! News

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Even without that app, there's another way to do it. That's why jailbreaking is so important.