Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Review iPhone 7 Plus Review

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by M in LA, Jan 2, 2017.

1. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Having owned an iPhone 6 Plus for nearly two years now, iOS is no longer new or a surprise to me. I have grown accustomed to it and found it to be excellent. I knew what I was getting when I got the 7 Plus and I was aware of the differences between the two.

With the purchase of the 7 Plus, I no longer have any Android devices. All are Apple. The 7 Plus is on my (almost) 23-year-old primary line, with the 6 Plus shifting to my secondary. I had previously used a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge on the secondary line. That phone was turned in with the purchase of the 7 Plus. The S7 Edge is a great phone, but I no longer care for Android. It made more sense for me to go full Apple. Plus the monthly payments for the 7 Plus are nearly half the price of the S7 Edge (because of a Verizon X-mas promotion).

Here are the Pros and Cons of the 7 Plus.

Pros:
    • Incredible screen color and clarity
    • Haptic feedback
    • Faster processor than the 6 Plus
    • Force touch (not on the 6 Plus or S7 Edge)
    • Easy customization
    • Call quality
    • iOS & Mac interconnectability (Handoff)
    • Fingerprint unlock accuracy
    • iCloud connectivity
    • Easy to navigate settings
    • Dual lens camera
    • 128GB version cheaper than same 6 Plus version
    • Raise to wake feature
    • Dual speakers
    • Does not bleed LTE data when on Wi-Fi (unlike S7 Edge)
    • Easy setup (via iTunes restore backup of 6 Plus)
    • Water and dust resistant (N/A on 6 Plus)
    Cons:
    • Combined headphone/charger port
    • 6 Plus battery much better at purchase than 7 Plus

Can't say I found more cons than what I listed, as the 7 Plus is just an updated version of the 6 Plus. It does what I need it to do. Setting it up was easy, as I used a restore backup of the 6 Plus to get the 7 Plus the way I wanted it. I don't have a major issue with the headphones dongle. I just hope I don't lose it.

The 6 Plus had the best battery life I've ever seen on a phone when I first got it. Even after almost 2 years, it still does pretty good. Initially, it would take 4 to 5 days of (light to moderate) use before it would come close to needing a charge. The 7 Plus has the same battery life as the two year old 6 Plus does now. Not a horrible negative, but a disappointment nonetheless.

iOS/Mac interplay between Apple devices is the best. This is the primary reason I went all Apple. For me, it makes things more efficient. I could even take calls from the 7 Plus line on the 6 Plus, but for the sake of avoiding confusion (with all iOS devices ringing at the same time), I turned that off. But still, it is an awesome feature. This is the kind of device interplay I wish Microsoft and Android had. It makes Contacts, Notes, Reminders, Photos, Messages (and more) so simple and easy. All of it works via a single Apple ID (with a big help from iCloud).

I am very happy with the 7 Plus. Apple devices aren't perfect. I never expected them to be. But they do what they do very well, IMO. The 6 Plus is the best phone I've ever owned, so I knew the 7 Plus would be an easy choice. I knew what to expect and I know how it works. The simplicity of iOS (and Mac) is why I'll stick with Apple.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
  3. M in LA

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Whenever I had LTE data on with the S7 Edge, I'd discover data being used even though I was on Wi-Fi the whole time. Not sure why. I could tell when I checked the MyVerizon app. It hasn't happened with the iPhones. I ended up turning data off on the S7 Edge and the bleeding stopped. I monitor my data usage frequently and clearly saw an issue with the Samsung. Not sure if other Android phones do this, but the S7 Edge sure did.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    @M in LA, a stupid question — did you by any chance have download booster enabled? I remember reading somewhere that Samsung had this feature of increasing download speeds by combining Wi-Fi with LTE.

M in LA likes this.
  5. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I only heard of data bleeding on a previous iOS. But I thought that was solved by adjusting Settings to not use cellular data for some programs, even while on WiFi.
    Can't say that I've seen it on my iPhone. But I really don't think about it much as I never go above my data allowance.

And, very nice review summary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M in LA likes this.
  6. M in LA

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Actually no. I turned that option off shortly after I got the S7 Edge and saw it in action. It made the phone VERY hot, so I disabled it. I had Wi-FI on always, but for some reason, with LTE on, it always bled data. I could tell when I checked my data usage via Verizon's app and the S7 Edge had used data I know I DIDN'T use. At times I would have more data used on that phone than the iPhone 6. Once I turned LTE off, the data bleeding stopped.

By the way, you didn't ask a stupid question (it is a VERY smart question). I never even thought of that until I saw your post. Fortunately, I remembered turning the option off early on.

7. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    LOL, I didn't expect you to overlook something like that, so I was pretty sure you would've known the state it was in.

I don't have a lot of experience with Samsung phones, but on the few that I have used for work I've noticed them dropping Wi-Fi for no reason at all. I could be in the middle of actively using the phone and it would still drop, but it also dropped a lot while sleeping. Now on those phones Wi-Fi was the only data connection available, but if it had an LTE signal I could easily see Wi-Fi dropping and LTE kicking in for some background task. That could easily explain the data leak.

8. M in LA

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I can tell you, viewfly, I have cellular data open for nearly all apps and I've never had an issue with extra data being used when on Wi-Fi. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I monitor my data like a hawk. I am on Wi-Fi 90% of the time, so I know the times when I use LTE data. I have never seen a spike in iPhone LTE data use when I'm strictly Wi-Fi, unlike on the S7 Edge. When Wi-Fi is on on the iPhones, it's ON, with no LTE bleed-through.

When I first began to notice the issue on the S7 Edge, I monitored my data use much more closely than normal. I also monitored the iPhone 6+ at the same time. I did not use the S7 Edge at all for a day (Wi-Fi on) and noticed it used up LTE data. The iPhone was on Wi-Fi the whole time with no LTE data use recorded. The numbers on Verizon for the iPhone were the same as before the experiment. I don't know if it is an Android thing or a Samsung issue. I kept data off on the S7 edge for the past 3 months I owned the phone.

If iOS used to bleed data before, Apple has stopped that leak. I began my iPhone life with iOS 8 (May 2015), so it hasn't been an issue. And I'm very glad for it.

9. M in LA

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it is. It was never a huge amount of data (unlike the iOS 5 situation from the link KevinJames posted), but something I wasn't keen on. I have the lowest data plan on Verizon because I use Wi-Fi primarily, so I noticed unexpected upticks in data use. Fortunately, it's not an issue anymore, though I really did love the S7 Edge (just not Android anymore either).

dmapr likes this.
  10. M in LA

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    One more thing, iPhone has something else in its favor with the new addition of the Samsung Gear S app, which now allows me to connect the Gear S2 to my phone.