Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

iPhone 7/7 Plus over Galaxy S8/S8+

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by M in LA, Apr 25, 2017.

1. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 24 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Unless I've missed it, I haven't seen anything posted here about the new Galaxy S8 series. The Note 7 debacle is likely why. With the Galaxy S8's recent release, it has landed at the top of the smartphone food chain. So here are my thoughts on it and its biggest rival, the iPhone 7/7 Plus.

Samsung's new S8 series is out. Now it's the proverbial comparison between the 2016 iPhone 7 and the 2017 Galaxy S8. IMO, the S8/8+ are beautiful phones. Having had the S7 Edge before, I can imagine how awesome the S8+ is.

While the S8 series is top of the line, there's one major problem for me. It doesn't run iOS. It doesn't matter how beautiful or technologically advanced the S8's are, they run Android. For me, that's the instant deal-breaker. Never thought I'd say this, but after owning the iPhone 6 Plus at the same time as the S7 Edge, I grew to dislike Android more and more. It just isn't for me. As awesome as the S7 Edge was, I wanted to get rid of it for another iPhone.

In my opinion, iOS works the best for me. The interconnectivity between Apple devices (phones, Mac, iPads, TV, watch) sealed the deal. The smoothness and cleanness of iOS won me over quickly when I purchased the 6 Plus. The iPhone isn't perfect, nor is any smartphone, for that matter. They don't need to be. It's what works best for the phone owner. In my case, it's iOS. For others, Android works best. To each his own.

Even if the often-rumored iPhone 8/X/Edition doesn't quite match the flair and beauty of the S8 series, that's fine with me. Apple won me over from Android (which I had from 2010-15/16). I'm sure Apple will deliver an outstanding device.

No Android bashing from me. It's a great operating system. For me, iOS is better and my choice now. I'm glad Samsung continues to raise the bar in smartphone awesomeness. It keeps all other phone makers on their toes, Apple included. After last Fall's Note 7 disaster for Samsung, I hope they've learned their lesson with the S8.

It's too bad Microsoft blew it with Windows phones. 10 Mobile is excellent, but with outdated phones to run it, no new devices, and meager support from Microsoft, it's all been left for dead.

It's fun to read all about new devices coming out and how the technology continues to evolve. Smartphones are incredible devices and I look forward to seeing what's next.

What are your thoughts?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    viewfly, charlyee and KevinJames like this.
  2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hey M (in LA). I think you cite one crucial reason why people use Apple iPhones -- the rest of their electronics landscape is also Apple. Yes, I agree that in that scenario, it absolutely makes sense to buy Apple.

It was not until a year ago when I met a young man (30 yo) who I offered to become a "life mentor" to, that I even touched an Apple iPhone. (I wouldn't even look at them in stores.) He is an Apple products enthusiast and, like you, has other Apple products at home. Because he really is not a tech person, more than once I've had to help him. As I looked over the iPhone, as I was actually amazed how similar iOS and Android are as a general user experience. So much of iOS and Android looks and feels similar to me.

I personally have no Apple products. Never have and, at this late point in my life, it is unlikely I ever will. Most of my peers (the over 55 bracket) are not technical in any way shape or form. A few have come up to me and mentioned that certain apps seem easier to use on an Android device. I don't know. I haven't used those apps on an iPhone.

In short, I am glad you found a solution that works for you. It seems that "camps" of loyal followers have always existed. Back when I was in my teens the camps were divided by car makers: Ford vs. Chevy. It is good that we all have a choice in these matters. Just as the Ford vs Chevy enthusiasts will never die, neither will other product choices. We will always find something to feel strongly about.

P.S. As far as the new Samsung S8 and S8+, I have no feelings -- yet. I started noticing about a year ago that all the web pundits sound like they were paid to write glowing reviews. (The ones that cited issues were interesting, but petty in their accusations.) My wife is ready for an upgrade (from her S5). I'll wait until real-user reviews start emerging. As my health continues declining, I doubt I will buy another phone for myself. I'm sleeping on and off several hours during the day AND sleeping 10 or more hours at night. The so-called "writing is on the wall," and I'm not in denial about it.

#2 KevinJames, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    M in LA and charlyee like this.
  3. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Kevin, your story is similar to two experiences I've had over the last 30+ years.

1) I began with Apple Mac computers, and when my company went from to all Mac, I was well prepared. Some 'holder ons' went grudgingly from IBM DOS to Microsoft Windows, and were totally lost. I knew nothing about Windows, but while watching them, and hearing them complain about DOS being so much better (i.e. familiar), I looked at their difficulty and thought to myself, 'how would I do that function on a Mac?' Nearly 100% of the time, using my understanding of Apple OS, led me to figure out for them how to perform a function in Windows!

2) Fast forward to the first years of Android, my Admin Assistance struggled to understand her Android phone, and asked me for help since I knew so much about cell phones (albeit, Apple iPhones). Looking at this new Android OS, I screwed up my face, and thought, 'how would I do that function on an iPhone?' Sure enough most things I could figure out for her with that thought process.

Yep, in most ways, the two systems can be similar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    @M_in_LA

I agree, the smoothness of iOS is a big reason to stay with Apple for me, and also how it functions with all my Apple devices. The App Store and hardware reliability are other important reasons, and access to Apple stores for accessories and repair/advice/warranty service are an enormous plus.

Being first to market with the current 'smartphone ' model drew me into Apple;loyalty and quality reputation are what have kept me there.

Nice review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M in LA likes this.
  5. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    The iPhone came out mid year 2007, I got the Treo 750, Treo Pro, BB 9700, XPERIA X10, ATRIX, HTC Vivid, Lumia 900, and the Lumia 820 before I went with an iPhone.

I am much less of an iOS fan than I am an OSX. I have had MacBooks for 10 years and never looked back or wanted to change.

My first iOS device was the iPad 2, which I got in mid 2011 hoping it can be a substitute for my relatively heavy MBP but quickly learned that it won't work for that purpose. I definitely was in no hurry to go to an iPhone.

When I eventually did, I found iOS to be quite boring and restrictive and went to the Moto X.

I got back when iPhone 6 came out but I still find it boring and keep wanting to switch. Yes there is an advantage to have an all Apple system but I always found cross platform apps that worked quite well.

Having said, I haven't paid any attention to the Galaxy 8, mainly because I don't like Samsung phone. I do keep thinking about the Pixel phones though.

I definitely agree with others that the dividing lines between OS are getting blurry.

At this point I am comfortable with the iPhone and am too lazy to switch or maybe I finally matured after all I did a year older a couple of weeks back.

EDIT: Shortly after posting this, my iCloud Notes stopped syncing, ugh!

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #5 charlyee, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    M in LA and palandri like this.
  6. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 24 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Interestingly, I find I like the simplistic (and maybe boring) aspects of iOS. I used to love widgets on Android. I thought when I went to iOS, this might be a deal breaker. It wasn't. I could live with the way widgets worked in the Today screen. I really like the sameness across all my iOS devices. Both my iPhones have identical screens and app placements. I like it this way. I grew frustrated with different Android looks, due to manufacturer OS overlays. I like the one-size-fits-all of iOS. Never thought I would feel this way.

This is why I like what you said above. To each their own. What works best for one may not work best for someone else. Android does what it does well and the same with iOS. Though both OS's are much similar now than in the past, the different approaches of both is what really sets them apart.

If only Microsoft did more with mobile phones could we truly have 3 OS's to choose from. I love the MS tiles, but Win phones are all but dead.

charlyee likes this.
  7. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    As KevinJames said in another thread here: " it ain't boring, it's functional "

And KJ was talking about his Android app/Home screen layout that looks similar to the Apple iOS Home Screen layout.

At some point, an OS should be transparent and without hindrance to the users ability to work with email,Apps, phone usage, web browsing, etc.

I think that dmapr said that the widget layout worked best for him on the Home Screen. That's fine and good.

Charlyee seems to love her iPhone 7 Plus. The main point of this thread was comparing the iPhone 7+ to the newest Samsung release: that concerns a lot more hardware issues and reliability than OS's. I wouldn't touch a Samsung with a ten foot pole after the latest battery problems. Something wrong with that company's management or philosophy of products roll out.

I wish Apple would give Charlyee her home screen options to play around with. Or some MS Tiles to play around with. I don't understand why they don't give that option. Seems pretty harmless.

I'm happy with the Apple widget style, pull/down display . I pretty much get down to business with my phone, so getting to Apps at the home display works for me.

It seems to me all of WA community is mostly happy with the phones today.

I suppose we are all waiting for the next tech breakthrough game changer.

My choice? An anti gravity levitation feature that de-accelerates a dropped phone so that it hovers a few inches above the ground, before gently coming to rest. how hard can that be?

dmapr likes this.
  8. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    You are absolutely correct, I do love my 7 Plus, and if you can arrange for Apple to allow more flexibility to the home screen layout that would put the proverbial icing on the cake. I would prefer the MS type tiles please.

I wouldn't touch a Samsung either and I had that opinion way before the last fiasco. The two Samsung Smartphones I had were definitely a disaster.

If we only looked at hardware then without a doubt it's Apple for me, but if we look at the whole package then the iPhone is "boring".

dmapr likes this.
  9. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Are Lumia phones still around? When I looked at them, I found the Tiles just an annoying layer to get beyond with the constant flipping. I guess my Apple Watch notifications has removed the need to check my phone constantly. Maybe that is Apple's plan.

Now that I'm retired and completely free of PC's, any idea of getting a Lumia...'The phone that works like a PC'...would be ludicrous, really. I'll stick with my Mac and iPad.

But still they (Apple) should offer it (options). I'll talk to some people .

Or when they near bankruptcy, maybe they will.

10. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    vf, The tile flipping is a choice, they can be stationary as well. I just like to see pertinent information as soon as I unlock the phone. As for getting an Apple Watch, for some reason I can't go back to wearing a watch again.

The mac and the iPad are a constant in my life as well, specially since I replaced my 2012 13" MBP with 15" last year.

It would be nice if someone on this board does get the S8 and write a review on it.

11. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I love wearing a watch. And with my golf app, I have my GPS distance to the green, score entry, hit distance tracker and my step/ walking mileage. All on my wrist!

Perfect! ️️

#11 viewfly, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  12. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    The Samsung Note 7 disaster has not changed my opinion of their phones one iota. I wouldn't have gotten one before and I still wouldn't consider getting one now. It has nothing to do with the hardware, my opinion is entirely software-based :D

Sure, I love my widgets because they allow me to see the important info as soon as I unlock the phone. This may or may not be related to notifications. I never have to check the phone for notifications because of the little LED — if it's not blinking, there's nothing worth checking :)

In the end though, the only thing that really matters is whether any particular combination of hardware and software works for you or not and that's it :)

13. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    The light option can be useful. It wouldn't be enough information for my purposes however.

My Apple watch vibrates or pings and gives me a snapshot of the notification. Otherwise I would feel a compulsion to check my phone regardless...even for a message from a VIP

But you, M_in_LA and others are all correct that whatever combinations of hardware and software works for you...works. But people like us still enjoy sharing our own personal preferences and experiences, perhaps biases too. As long as we don't too seriously judge others for theirs.

14. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    And now the S8 and its big brother are being plagued by random reboot issues. Quality is in their build. The rest is up to gremlins. LOL

dmapr likes this.
  15. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Google Nexus 5X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    I've been on Android for a very long time. The last iOS device I used was the 3GS. I love it here. My wife on the other hand has been on iPhones the entire time. On the few occasions when she uses my phone, she does not like it all that much. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

charlyee likes this.