Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Apple IPhone 6

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Scrumhalf, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Is it just me or is the iPhone 6 an uninspiring rehash in a bigger package? Being out of contract, I admit I was looking forward to seeing what Apple was going to come out with. But this? A 3GS with a bigger screen? Yes, the processor is badass but for chrissakes Apple... Even the stupid dead strips on the top and bottom of the screen haven't changed. Disappointed!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Dang! A 3GS? LOL. that is scathing. I don't feel compelled to switch, though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  3. Scrumhalf

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Looks just like it - it's got the shiny curvy back like the Ipad has, looks like the have gone away from the squared look that the 4 introduced. Looks like a big 3GS to me.. :)

Sent from my XT603 using Tapatalk 2

4. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    It's just you. The looks have been rumored for months now so it should not have been a surprise too much.

Hardly a bigger 3GS, which was plastic and thicker.

What's inside is quite good. Plus you get 64Gb, bigger screen for the same price as a 5S 32Gig.

And much more. Maybe watch the event more closely.

5. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    The iPhone 6 is epic. It's a game-changer. It's the most exciting product Apple has ever released.

446281d1407538154-would-not-recommend-tuna-trip-woody-woods-resized_gibbo-borat-meme-generator-y.jpg

Get on board

borat_great_success.jpg

6. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    It's just a phone, but a very attractive new model in the Apple line for those that like such things.

Some good engineering and design as Apple is known for.

I'm signing up for the 4.7" 64 Gb.

Apple is so powerful it even excites forum members that have gone silent for a long time to so speak up.

#6 viewfly, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  7. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Well, there's one thing that is epic about the iPhone 6: LTE support.

1 person likes this.
  8. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
  9. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yeah I agree. The band coverage is very good on the phone.

10. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Just a phone? I guess you missed the launch event, it's just the best phone ever!

download.jpg

11. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I still think that the 4/4s was the best looking I phones. I almost got the 4s when I went in to get the 5 and only the lack of LTE prevented me from getting it.

There isn't enough in the 6 for me to upgrade from my 5s, at least not yet. :)

12. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I'm also tired of the same regurgitated Apple/Samsung models flooding the market. Most of my family is now on BlackBerry and Nokia Windows Phones. Speaking of Blackberry, they did release something different this year, but nobody's looking at Blackberry anymore, and I'm not sure how the idea of a square phone came about, but anyway...

blackberry-passport02.jpg

BlackBerry Passport: The most unique phone of 2014? | IT PRO

13. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hmm, that looks just like an iPad Mini :p

14. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    As a general discussion without critiquing anyone's particular smartphone, my personal opinion is that some things are not going to get too refined.

What where the early smartphones? BB,Palm, Treo? They set the stage for a rectangular-ish screen and keyboard, and I'm not sure that will change much, except in fit and finish.

After all, do we expect a major redesign in say:

A piece of paper?
    A book?
    A laptop?
    A baseball?
    A fishing pole?

And what would be a better shape for a Grand Piano, Scumhalf? :):) Oh, yeah, right some are longer than others...haha, like the iPhone 5 was longer than the 4S. ;)

Given that the distance from one's ear to mouth is longer than the width of either (from the side), I suspect rectangular will be a predominate design. Sometimes function dictates form. Actually many times.

On the iPhone 6, what I read is that the rounder corners, and thinner design were meant to make the larger phones easier to handle. That makes sense. And there is a lot more under the hood, than meets the eye at first blush. The antenna bands are different; some hated the sharp corners,or the double glass on the 4, 4S too.

IMHO. I think it looks good in design and fit and finish is high quality.

I do wonder if the 4" iPhone size is ever going to get a refresh though. Maybe Apple wants to see how popular the larger sizes really are...or they just can't fit more into the 4" size...or the Apple Watch will feed more tightly into the phone in your pocket.

I suppose if a smartphone was in the shape of a boomerang, then when you drop it, it will come back to you? And it would curve around from your ear to the front of your mouth too! Heh, patent lawyer...

#14 viewfly, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  15. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    . I have no idea about the fit and finish without actually handling one but I am sure it will be high quality since Apple doesn't skimp on that.

About the overall design though to me it looks like just another Samsung. I doubt it will be easy to distinguish either 6 from a generic Samsung as easily as it has been so far. I am talking about a phone in a case of course, without the Apple logo showing.

16. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    That doesn't really bother me, because they are different phones. Of course the Samsung was looking like the iPhones, but got bigger. I'm not too keen on the protruding camera lens, I admit that.

I suspect you will see more naked phones around, because of the size. And the logo helps too, along with the unmistakable Home button.

Anyhow, that wasn't really my point.

I'll be ordering early in the morning.

17. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Good luck vf, I hope you get the one you want.

1 person likes this.
  18. Scrumhalf

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Haha... looks like I poked the hornet's nest with this thread.

Seriously, I think the 6 is a fine phone. I was really anticipating this release as i have been away from Apple for a while, but I don't think it brings anything to the table that Android hasn't already had for a while, so I am probably going to stay on the Android side. But I can see how someone already in the Apple ecosystem may be compelled to upgrade.

Sent from my XT603 using Tapatalk 2

1 person likes this.
  19. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I'm curious as to what you were expecting? You must have had something in mind?

I feel that the iPhone 6 brings a lot to the table that Android doesn't have, or doesn't do as well. But the main thing missing from Android is iOS, and now iOS 8.

Of course I'm in that eco system so the advantages of not having a mixed system, all on ios8 are quite large and important to me. And of course the excellent device service that I have received over the years.

What Apple has proposed with the NFC and 'tag' payment system has been a dream for some for quite some time. Combining in one device the ability to chose w which CC to use has been knocked around for 15 years or more, but the banks never agreed to do it. But it seems Apple had the clout to bring AMX, Visa, MC and other merchants together. That is huge. Google's system never caught on.

20. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I'm curious (aside from audiobooks, iOS & LTE) what you think the iPhone 6 brings to the table that Android doesn't have or doesn't do as well. From where I stand the two systems are pretty equal in capabilities and the differences are (for the most part) in minor details or even personal preferences.

I don't know what iPhone 6 is doing on the payment front, Google Wallet works with any existing (and pre-dating Google Wallet) contactless terminal around here (not sure about Europe & Asia). So I don't think that Google meant for its system to be something new, they were making it work with an existing payment system that I have seen around at least going back to 2003.

21. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Came across some detailed comparison of Apple Pay & Google Wallet (Why Apple Pay could be the mobile-payment system you'll actually use | Macworld). Looks like the difference is in the what and how gets stored when you scan your card in (the article is wrong about GW not being able to scan your card) and I can see how the Apple Pay may be more ready to handle the EMV transition (although it is not clear to me how those contactless terminals will be affected by the EMV switch to begin with).

22. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I purchased 2 iPhone 6's, 4.7" in silver and space grey about an hour after preordered opened up. Due here next Friday. One from ATT and the other a store pick up at Apple.

Both 64 Gb

And Charlyee, got an Apple leather case for both. I got the dark brown one. The new ones have an open bottom.

Anxious to see them!!!

23. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Poked my head into the store at lunch today. They had no idea when the unlocked ones will become available.

1 person likes this.
  24. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    That is a good article to read for any one that thinks Google Pay and Apple Pay are the same. They are not.

I had dinner with an exec 15 years ago who was trying to work with the three major CC companies to issue ONE card with a SmartChip that stored all your CCs, and one could chose one for payment at the POS. It was impossible to get AMEX MC and VISA to agree.

I make the same mistake as Scumhalf, and you, dmapr. iPhone is a phone and not an OS. It's not iPhone vs Android. It's Iphone running iOS versus another phone hardware running a version of Android.

You may not use or like all the feature specs or hate the ones that are missing, but the overall attention to engineering detail and integration with a look to the future is what companies like Apple excel at. Just like Mercedes or Ferrari are ultimately cars that get you somewhere and stop, the engineering acumen and small details, that are thought out are very well appreciated by many, and it does it in style. As is the support, at least in the USA. It's not personal preference only. Most stops are open and engineering is a key motivator. And sure so is profit. As is Mercedes.

I mean you can get any car in red, but a Ferrari in red is wholly different.

A majority of phones running Android (something like 200?), are not worth my attention. They are under spec'd and the fit and finish very poor. The few like HTC one or high end Samsung's are very fine. So are others who names I'm forgetting at the moment. I would get one if Apple wasn't around, or became goofy.

I like the screen better that Apple uses, because it is more natural. The camera is very fine with the larger individual pixels. The iPhone 6 screen is 2x the contrast now too. The dual tone flash was very well thought through and an unappreciated detail. And now the more secure tagged NFC that will link to the Apple Watch is looking very, very cool. I actually had no interest in a smartwatch before. The acumen that will lead to a sapphire display, although I have some reservations regarding glare, it a clear next industry step for scratch proof less devices. I do wish that the phone back was less prone to worry though. So I have had my beef with Mr Ives too.

And the iOS integration with my laptop and ipad is very productive for me. Mixed platforms are far far better than 20, even 10 years ago. But having one is the best. IMHO. Of course for business I have to use other platforms for specialized software application reasons. That's life.

Those are my general thoughts, but not exhaustive.

25. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I keep hearing the "single ecosystem", "iOS integration with MacBook" and so on but I don't really know what that means. My wife has an iPhone and a MacBook and I've never seen her "integrate the two" or say anything about it — so I'm really curious as to what that integration means and entails?

26. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    That's been talked about before. Explore the Apple pages and the web to learn more how people use them.

27. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell

Vf, I was hoping you would detail some of how you use the integration of OSX with iOS, maybe just the top three.

I don't see that as a compelling reason, so maybe I am missing something.

A Mac was my first Apple product with which I had Android, WP & iOS devices and I can't honestly say that I used any of them differently with my Mac.

Thanks. :)

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

28. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    It seems academic at this point, since I already know your replies, just as you know what I would say :) !

Some people just don't care to use all the features. My wife doesn't use all the features on one platform that would make her lifer easier, let alone two. That's fine.

I assume that you don't use Google, and it shared environment either. Shame.

In any case, probably not worth writing until iOS 8 comes out tomorrow.

29. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Um, shame?

Why? I don't even use gmail.

30. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I too am puzzled by this statement. Sure, I use Google on my phone to search just as I use it everywhere else, and it actually keeps the list of my searches without my having to do anything. Aside from that, what else would I have shared? Certainly not the browser tabs since the things I have opened in the browser on the desktop are of no use/value to me on the phone.