Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

iPhone 6 speculations - will you be staying with iOS if vastly different?

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by viewfly, Feb 13, 2014.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Re: iPhone 6 speculations & Screen size discussions.

LOL. I guess you passively/agressively did wish to turn this into a fanboy war. ;)

You make us iPhone users sound so plain and boring, huh? LOL

All OS's the same? My guess is that you are not changing OS/hardware for excitement...but because you cannot find something that works for you in ONE phone.

I'll bet my pension that you will never jump full time to an iPhone. And why not do that? Think how much fun you'll have on WA, where the majority of contributors seem to have iPhones currently. If all the OS's are pretty much the same, what's the difference? Why not join us in the fun discussions here? We can compare notes on battery life, iOS 7.1 and crashes, antenna performance and what not? Screen size the problem? Come fall, you get the screen you wish....

Seriously, you make it sound that we iOS iPhone users are truly suffering from lack of choices. Pretty funny, considering that Apple has the largest app store of any current mobile OS platform. It is not Apple's fault if independent developers chose not to create all their apps on other OS platforms.

But, if all you do is check an email or two, browse the web, listen to music and send a text now and then...pretty much any phone will do. I agree that they are the same. But I like to do more than that.

Yes, I know you tried an iPhone for a week....I did the same for Android and Blackberry...so we are both experts. ;)
    I hardly feel stuck or tied to one system. True, Apple forced a Retina display, the first highest resolution screen out there for mobile phones, down my throat. But I didn't mind, staying with iOS.

But you certainly seem to be stuck. In fact you are just as stuck as you think Apple users are. You seem unhappy with your last several phones...meaning that you are searching around for a OS/phone manufacturer that gives you in ONE phone all the features you are looking for, and having a hard time finding that. You pretty much were forced to give up a keyboard smartphone, right? You're just a backseat driver too.

Because, like everyone else, you are at the mercy of 1) Google/BB/Windows, 2) how a phone manufacture decides to implement those OS's and hardware choices. You are at their mercy and a backseat driver to their designers like everyone else. Nothing different or special here, because you can't chose everything. You cannot chose to take the best features from them all and put it into ONE phone. You have to wait like everyone else...and give up some feature while to go for another feature you prefer.

It is not that Apple is better for everyone else...it just has the greatest majority of things that I expect from a high end smartphone in ONE unit. I don't know how they manage that, but so far, it has worked out for me year after year. Like it used to be for me with Nokia...until Apple appeared on the cell phone scene, and took their place. :)

And in the US, lets not forget the carriers who, may have a say whether or not your particular choice of phone gets the latest Android/windows/BB update from them. Or include carrier bloatware. With Apple I always get the freshest update, at my choosing. No carrier bloatware.

The point being, I'm very happy with Apple's yearly offerings, I don't find them boring like you are finding Android/BB/Nokia...so I'm not really looking/searching around for another platform/hardware combination like you are...the Apple iOS and hardware gives me everything I need...and whatever is missing...is minor enough so far, and doesn't really exist in another platform, and in ONE phone for me to switch currently.

By devices, i meant my other tablets, TV and laptops. Sharing browser tabs within iOS is a very productive feature. Samsung and other manufacturers do exactly the same thing. And with the fragmentation of the implementation of different versions of Android, for example, from low end to high end phones, not all Android features are available to everyone anyhow.

Cross platform. That takes time. Let's take WhatsApp that you mentioned. Very popular, and I was a ground level user when it came out (so I still get it for free).
    But it took almost 2 years for it to come out for BlackBerry...and on Android people had to pay for it if I remember, and not to mention my Android friend dropped it completely because on his Android device, it killed his battery. Something about keeping the data link opened improperly (which I assume is fixed now)...it was fine on my iPhone, and useful for free international messaging...before iMessage came out. So who would buy a Blackberry if all your friends were messaging using WhatsApp? But regardless some people still stuck to BB for other reasons that were important to them...like a real keyboard.

Anyways all this is to say, i'm not missing choices or out of anything and you are just as limited in your choices as anyone...it just appears to you that you are not.

Best,

2. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE

I think it's just a difference in perspective: staying with a familiar platform that someone has become accustomed to and deeply integrated with, versus trying new and different ones. I have switched brands/OS's not because I wasn't happy with one, but maybe because I got bored with it, or maybe was looking for something new and different, or maybe simply "because I can". Sure I'm limited to what's on the market, but restricting one's self to only one brand narrows the market down significantly.

When I switch from one phone to another, I copy/paste my mp3's from my PC to my phone's SD card, then I download a handful of popular/common apps (mainly free ones), install an e-mail client, and then copy list of contacts (that are usually stored on the SIM card anyway). I can easily switch phones/OS's in about 30 minutes or so without any major disruptions.

Just for the sake of argument...no, not "argument" but "insight"...what if you had to hypothetically switch to a non-iOS phone for 1 week? What kind of problems/disruptions would that cause you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

I'm going to suggest to the WA mods that they remove the posts beginning with RR's post #26 to a new thread.

Just because, RadioRaiders, you are unhappy and bored with the subject matter of this thread ( and your phone), there is any good reason for you to hijack a thread , once again, for an off topic discussion, as you always do, on how suffering we iPhones users have it.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro

4. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE

So you are saying that I hijacked a thread that you had previously hijacked? :cool: I think there's a pot and a kettle somewhere around here :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Lol. That was dmapr, and it really wasn't hijack.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro

6. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS

Well, either we stay on topic in which case this thread will probably see one or two updates between now and the official announcement or we keep hijacking it :) Or we keep asking mods to take OT stuff from this thread and give it threads of its own...

3 people like this.
  7. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    iPhone 6 speculations & Screen size discussions.

or ask a mod to add will you be staying with iOS no matter what the size will be to the tittle. :D
    i can switch between OS in less than 30 mins, and as you can see I have more experience with different OS than both you and Vf combined. :p

However, it appears you and I use our phones differently, I used it for just about everything I do on my laptop and I have gone for days without using my laptop. So there in comes the issue of syncing, disruptions etc.

Btw, why do you need to copy contacts, when you put in your email (I thought you had gmail) your contacts calendar etc should auto populate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 people like this.
  8. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    iPhone 6 size speculatiom & will you be staying with iOS if vastly different?

Yea, I use my phone mainly for surfing the web, checking e-mails, checking things like weather, sports scores, news, train times, etc. Skype, YouTube, maps and a few networking apps...maybe I'm forgetting something, but that's the bulk of it. I can do all these on pretty much any OS, so I don't feel tied to any one in particular.

Regarding contacts: I have them scattered all over, between work and personal contacts, I also have a variety of e-mail addresses. I don't have them all stored in one place centrally, and I'm fine with it. If a contact is important, they usually find me anyway ;)

EDIT: Removed off topic comment ;)

2 people like this.
  9. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    iPhone 6 size speculations & will you be staying with iOS if vastly different?

[URL="http://www.macrumors.com/2014/03/17/iphone-6-upgrade-spike]More speculation[/URL]

I think massive spike is wishful thinking :rolleyes: but here's my thoughts on the 4.7" and 5.5" size speculations:

The 5.5" would be out of the question for me. I would either switch OS or get a 5s or just keep using the the 5 until it died a natural death. After all tons of people still use the 4 quite happily.

The 4.7", I would have to physically see the fit and the feel before jumping in, however if there is something really innovative that came with the size gain I would probably go for it

I would like a larger screen but not long and narrow like the 5 is and my ideal size is 4.5"

#39 charlyee, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  10. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Re: iPhone 6 size speculations & will you be staying with iOS if vastly different?

I'm in the 4.3" to 4.7" camp as well. Smaller than 4" is not enough screen to read/navigate comfortably, and with 5" and over you lose the pocketability factor. The 5" to 7" (phablet) range is silly to me. A good phone stops at 5" and a good tablet starts at 7" or 8". Anything in between fails to be either.

#40 RadioRaiders, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2014
    2 people like this.
  11. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

When I switched from the iPhone 5S to the Note 3 last week it took all of 15 to put all of the things that are on my 5S onto the Note 3, with the exception of my music. I could have easily moved that over too, but I prefer my iDevices when it comes to playing music so there would be no point to moving music over to a device that I probably wouldn't listen to music on anyway.

Sent from my iPad Air

1 person likes this.
  12. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

Re: iPhone 6 size speculations & will you be staying with iOS if vastly different?

I prefer a larger screen as well, but Apple better not pull this on the iPhone 6 or I'll be done with iPhones, lol. :D

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad Air

#42 Eileen89, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2014
  13. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Re: iPhone 6 size speculation & will you be staying with iOS if vastly different?

I have always been baffled by the 'too long, too narrow' comments. All that Apple did was go from the American standard TV ratio display of 4:3 to HD 16:9, which defines the length when you set the width. So it will never been super long as shown. And, as I've said so many, many times, it is the same as any Android phone. A 4" HD screen is the same ratio the world around...so too for a 5.7" screen.

----------

So back to the original, modified topic. Hmmm. If I had to change a iPhone for a week to another OS? I guess it would take 10 minutes to remove the SIM card and place it into another, non iOS phone. I'd have a browser, messaging, and add one email address. About 10 minutes should do it.

And I'd have a feature phone with a bit more to it. So no big deal.

Now, if I wanted to go 'full featured' without losing lots of stuff, that would be a bit longer, and have a real smartphone experience. I don't think 30 minutes would be enough. It could take hours.

And I honestly don't have all the answers, so it's a hypothetical answer.

Some things I'd have to take care of on a new, non-iOS phone:

1. I have 5 email accounts. Gmail and iCloud. Outlook too. just would take some time, I guess. But doable.

2. How do I move over my SMS history (with photos and videos) to the new phone? I glanced at some software for that, but I'd have to figure that out. I have messages going back a long time.

3. Voice mail. Would not wish to lose that history either. I think that would be time consuming from what I've read.

4. I have about 120 Apps. Many free, some not, some not on Android. It's going to take time to find them,and also to download them. I'd hate to pay for some twice.

5. I have 1000 photos in the iCloud, taken and shared amongst all my iDevices...not sure I really wish to make the effort to convert them. Also 5 personal PhotoStream albums..weddings, vacations etc. I'd want those set up. It can be done via the browser...but it would have to be done.

6. iMessage or any messaging. I asked this question before. If I went to Android/WP/BB what do I use? Or rather, would my iPhone friends have the software needed. Yeah, they have SMS..but the carriers trim the size of my photos/videos..so now my friends receive (and I get) lower resolutions photos from them. Not everyone is enthralled by WhatsApp. Or whatever. And iMessage is a better product.

7. Also have 2000 photos on my phone. I guess they are on my Mac laptop too, some on flikr. That's doable I'm sure.

8.Password and settings in my 120 apps. I'd have to go through the ones, one by one, and re-sign in my username and password for each. Yuck.

9. Music, again doable....but why go through that pain for a week?

10.Find my iPhone...I'd miss that security of finding a lost phone.

11. I'd lose my FaceTime contacts....I guess I'd send all my friends and say...hey switch to Skype. Right. FaceTime is a better product.

12. Contacts...well I have more than names and phone numbers. I have photos, addresses, multiple phone numbers. If I remember right, a SMS card only holds very basic info.

13. Web history, map history. I'd have to export a list and import it.

14. I'd miss browser tap sharing.

15. I've been using iWorks, which is more fun than Microsoft, and its very inexpensive.

16. Good battery life for the screen size..well I can't transport that over. :)

17. I'd miss the very reliable iClould back up of my phone.

I'm probably forgetting stuff. I'm guessing it would take hours to accomplish this all, and it may not all work.

Or I can just get a new x.x inch screen iPhone 6, type in my Apple ID, and while I'm leaving the store, Apples iCloud will completely restore all of the above to the phone, including my SMS messages, password (most of them) etc, etc.

Naw, its not worth it. I'd lose a lot functionality. Because I do more than people who have a smartphone that they use as a fancy feature phone. Certainly not something to do on a weekly basis.

If I was forced to do it? Sure I'd make most of it work. But I bet that not all of it would be fine. I guess do it once,and its easier the next time to switch to WP? Problem is that there are nice features in iOS that are worth sticking around for.

I'd think I'd rather go to a sauna and beat my back with a sharp wet branch of thorns. ;)

And the bottom line, with all the above.. if there was not 4.3, 4.7 inch screen on the iPhone 6...I wouldn't really care...screen size is at the bottom of my hardware list.

So that is my answer.....I'll stick with iOS for now.

14. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Re: iPhone 6 size speculation & will you be staying with iOS if vastly different?

<offtopic>I agree. Not long enough, not wide enough if you ask me :)</offtopic>

15. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    First off, thanks for the detailed reply. In general, I don't see any "show-stoppers" listed there, and moving to another OS would be possible for you. Despite some initial "shock and awe" of moving, you could still probably manage to do the majority of the same things that you do in iOS in another OS as well, so the reason for your (or anyone's) decision to stay with only one brand/OS is more out of familiarity/comfort/personal reasons rather than technical or practical ones. Myself and Charlyee can move phones/OS's in about 30 minutes, but if you have never moved to a different OS before (and if moving a SIM card alone takes you 10 minutes) then I can understand migrating may take you more time than it might for others.

Android and I think WP have apps for Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo and other popular e-mails that are easy to download and set up. Within a few minutes you will be in business. BlackBerry 10 has some built in system to take in a variety of e-mail accounts, so that was the easiest and quickest of all the OS's in my experience.

I'm not sure why you would need to take SMS or voicemail history with you? One good part of moving is that you can "clean up" and delete or get rid of all the old "clutter" (web history? do you really need to migrate that?). If there are a few SMS/voice-mail that has important info, write it down or save it somewhere, 98% of my SMS history is nothing I need to save or reference.

Wow, do you really use all of them? :eek: I have maybe 10-20 apps at most, and I hardly use all of them. But yes, if you really need and use so many apps, I can see moving to another OS can cause problems.

Moving media (photos and music) between devices really should not be any problem.

These are mostly subjective comments. Maybe your Skype friends think Skype is a better product because it's cross-platform and you should switch to that instead of the propritary FaceTime that only works with other iOS users? Reminder: iOS only has only about 10-20% of the smartphone market share, so FaceTime will not work with the bulk of smartphones on the market today.

As for battery life, I'm sure other phones have good battery life as well, some even have removable batteries, so you can easily change them if they get low or go bad. Actually, even tho you might feel that you "lose" some things you liked about the iPhone, you might discover some new things you like in another phone that is not available on any iPhone.

Phone finding and backup features are pretty common these days in other OS's. "Reliable" is an adjective and not anything unique to iOS (despite what Apple marketing would like you to believe ;)).

I don't know what that is, but it doesn't sound like a critical feature. Similar (or better) features might even be in other OS's or browsers. Firefox has some interesting features/capabilities these days.
    Mozilla Firefox Web Browser

What you like or don't like to do in your personal free time is not relevant and off-topic. I would like to ask that a moderator remove this part of the post and start a new thread in the "Roaming" section :D

16. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Strictly speaking, you only need a single mail app on the Android phone to bring together all of your accounts. I use a separate Gmail one because it has a nicer interface, but I could've used the generic one just as easily.

98%? Really? Man, you're sloppy :D. I don't think I have a single SMS that can't go poof! without me noticing. I don't have a single voicemail saved either.

17. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Are you referring to the IMAP thing? I think I tried that once, but also wan't too impressed with it and decided to just use the Gmail (and others) app.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/114408

Yea, I don't know, looking quickly at my SMS's they are mostly grocery shopping lists and "where r u?", I guess I can delete 99% ...maybe one shopping list may be good to keep for reference ;)
    Actually, I never even configured my voicemail, so I got nothing there :)

18. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell

WP and iOS are the same way, you only need a single mail account to pull together all other accounts.

I save a SMS if I need to take action on it and I can't get to it right away, the same with VM. They are both gone after completion. If it contains media that I would like to save, then I save it immediately and delete the SMS. I treat my emails the same way as well, sometimes I save emails in folders if I need them for record keeping or reference.

RR, browser tab sharing is when you have a tab open on one iOS device, and your other ones show you that.

On a regular basis, I visit 5 news sites, check email and SMS/iMessage, browse Tapatalk, participate on Messenger and WhatsApp. I also use Numbers/Excel and Pages/word regularly. Oh and of course check the weather.

As I needed I check Google Maps, Expedia, Best Buy, Amazon and other such apps. I have 33 apps and as far as I know all are available on Android, missing 2 on WP, and have no clue about BB10.

19. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Yep, the IMAP access allows you to bring the GMail into any mail app.

I have multiple mail accounts configured, I don't use a single mail account to bring the rest together. I have an assortment of POP3, IMAP4 & Exchange accounts configured.

20. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
  21. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell

That's what I have as well, I don't use a single mail account to bring them together. I meant they all come into one Mail app but show up separately.

RR, the iOS email setup is similar and quite easy as well:
    [​IMG]

I think Android and WP are pretty similar as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    On Android the simplest way is to just enter your email address and let it attempt to figure out what type of email it is. You can switch to a manual setup and enter all the data yourself. The emails are separate from IM/SMS/MMS, but they're all in the same app and you can view unified inbox or per-account one. Same goes for the home screen widget.

23. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Wow, people still use AOL? ;)
    I guess in the "other" you can create POP and IMAP?
    I have to look at Android again, I remember trying it once, maybe a year ago, and the set-up was not so nice, maybe it's got better since then.

24. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Also remember, I have a pure Android. I don't know what OEM email apps do.

25. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Yes people certainly do, in fact I personally know two. :)

Yes that's what "other" is for and what I used to setup my RR (Road Runner not Radio Raiders :p) E-Mail.

26. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I have a RR (Radio Raiders not Road Runner) e-mail, in fact, I'm the only one :) ...even less than AOL ;)

The Android I tried it on was an Xperia P or S or something maybe a year ago, it was not operator branded, and I think the IMAP thing was stock Android. From what I recall it was a hassle to put in a Gmail account, I think it was all manual, I had to look up the server names and stuff like that, nothing was automated. I should try it again with a more recent version of Android and see how it works.

27. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    RadioRaiders,

Your approach to smartphones is different from mine. You use the technology on your phones in a rather simplistic manner. Please don’t take that comment the wrong way. I’m not trying to insult you…but that is your own admission.

You asked me for it , and I gave a list of practical, technical and personal disruptions that are important to me. You then summarily pick and choose among them, and dismiss their importance to you, suggesting that I change my practice and my selection of applications (and those of my friends). I have FaceTime and Skype on my iPhone...but 95% of my contacts use FaceTime...it is a better product.

I don't have to defend my preferences or productivity...or just plain fun I have using them.

It is quite a surprising attitude from a person who has been trolling around WA, ranting about, ‘freedom of choice, flexibility and excitement’ Yet, you don’t mind telling me what I should or should not be doing. Your suggestions are more confining than any ‘walled garden’ that Apple could erect. :p

Don't misunderstand me. I agree that most of features that one needs can be replicated on another, good smartphone, but not all, nor in the same manner. And isn't that the point of the thread question? 'Would one drop iOS for a larger screen phone?' Well, is a larger screen important enough to lose some features you enjoy? It's a personal decision, not forgone.

And yes, iMessages, SMS, voice mails are important to carry over. So is GPS information carried with photos. And it is a question that would be need to be addressed, going between any OS. All without being a pain in the butt. And yes, I do use all my applications ;)

I also had a good chuckle with this quote below:

I showed it to my wife. Her comment? “Well,that is a classic ‘Fanboy’ position, isn’t it? If we don’t have it, don’t even know what it is…then you don’t need it!!!” :D

I’m going to guess that if I had a 4.5” non-iOS device for a week, and I posted on WA, that its size just didn’t feel right in my hand, nor justified changing OS’s for it, you would comment,

“ You’re just not holding it right, viewfly” LOL. :D

#57 viewfly, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  28. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I'm going on a limb here, but my guess is that "tap sharing" does not indeed sound like a very interesting feature. I mean, how hard can it be to tap on the screen for it to be shared? :D
    Tab sharing sounds a whole lot more important, and yes, tab sharing is available in other browsers on other OSes ;)

29. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    dmapr, your comment didn't mask the rude arrogance in RR's original quotation. Nor the comically ironic nature of it. :D

In fact his whole reply post is just a Red Herring logical fallacy that goes like this:

" There are no real differences between the mobile OS's or hardware today, so switching between them is trivial. No one really uses more than the basic functions of a smartphone anyways, so none of the unique features or conveniences that each OS or hardware offers are needed nor useful."

There is nothing more to say on this thread. It has run its course.

30. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE

I'm not sure how you interpreted my question as being "rude arrogance" or a "red herring", I was actually baffled (ie: not understanding the point of view) by people who limit themselves to one brand and refuse to even consider others, and was trying to get some insight to statements like this:

When I hear things like that I don't understand why you just don't pick up the Moto X, play with it a little, see what else it has to offer and consider it, instead of putting it down and saying "if Apple made something like that I'd give it a look". It seems like a narrow-minded view(fly) to me.

I never suggested you should change anything. Do what makes you happy. We all should. That's the best part of having freedom. I was curious to know the reasons why you stick to only one brand and refuse to even consider others. Thanks for outlining them. From what I saw, most of the same things are available on other OS's and din't see anything really stopping you from changing, aside from a few apps and personal preference. People do change OS's frequently. It's not really that big of a deal. Of course if you don't want to that's fine too.

The fundamental question to me is, if you only stick with one brand and one phone, you are forcing yourself to accept whatever it is that they make. Screen size is one example. With the iPhone 5 still having a 4" screen, I heard alot of iPhone users having "screen envy" looking at 4.5", 5", 5.5" screens on other phones and saying "I wish the iPhone had a larger screen". I don't really understand why they just simply don't find a phone with a larger screen size and buy that. There are plenty of good ones out there. As you agree, the bulk of features are the same on most high-end phones, so it's really a difference of smaller things. Alot of people say they are "tied to the OS" because of a variety of reasons, but in reality I think switching is easier than some people think.

In the last 5-6 years while you have had only iPhones, I've had phones with 4 different OS's and made by 5-6 different mfgrs... which of these should I be a "fanboy" of exactly?