Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

iPhone 6 plus Unboxing and Review:

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by Eileen89, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

My Verizon Silver 128GB iPhone 6 Plus was delivered this morning via FedEx. My order was placed on 10/11/14, so I guess I can't say I waited too long for it. So begins my journey with the 6 Plus and my new service with Verizon Wireless as I will be trying out there service for the next 14 days. :)

Unboxing the iPhone 6 Plus:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414459936.987875.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414459986.875143.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414460009.489824.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414460034.407727.jpg

2. Eileen89

iPhone 6 Plus Unboxing Con't:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414460189.008355.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414460209.450760.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414460223.951733.jpg

*** review to follow after I've had time to test it out. ***

First impression, I LOVE it!! :)

viewfly and charlyee like this.
  3. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    We need some perspective. Can you put a six foot man next to the box?

JK. Enjoy!

4. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Looking forward to the exercise compatibility portion of your review :)

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

5. Eileen89

[​IMG]

For exercising with my 6 Plus, I ordered the FlipBelt. I read a lot of good reviews about it from other people with the 6 Plus. Unfortunately it won't be here in time for tomorrow's gym workout, but I should have it in time for Friday's workout. Will let you know how well it works.

Sent from my LTE 128GB iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

dmapr likes this.
  6. Eileen89

Haha. I'm 5'7 and so far have not had an issue messaging one handed with it provided that I hold my hand far enough under it so I can type with my thumb. To be honest though, unless I am in a hurry I usually use both hands when typing even with my iPhone 6.

Took my 6+ to work today and the look on my co-workers faces when I pulled out the 6+ was priceless. One person said, you have got to be kidding me, that's not really a phone... Lol. :D

7. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Thanks Eileen. Granted my wife's phone is long ways away, but she uses it when she runs, so it's important to get her something that will make running comfortable.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

8. Eileen89

Day one with my 6 + went real well, except for my service with Verizon, which I ended up canceling today before getting locked into a new billing cycle with them.

Reception using the 6+ on Verizon's network in the Philly suburbs was very poor with most areas being 1 bar of LTE dropping down to 3G. This is what I was getting on my way home from work:

[​IMG]

Reception using AT&T's network in the same area proved to be much better with LTE everywhere I went.

[​IMG]

Call quality is very good and pretty much what I saw with my iPhone 6 as well. Calls with Verizon however, were not as clear as they are with AT&T and as a result my callers kept asking me to repeat myself.

As far as the overall look and feel of the 6 Plus, I find that while it does feel light, it also has a very solid feel to it. I do have a very thin clear case on it as it is slippery, but no more so than the iPhone 6. After using the 6 Plus for just a few hours and going back to the 6 just for my workout, the 6 felt and looked very small to me even though I know it really isn't that small.

The speaker volume is very loud and clear. Videos and music are great to listen to with the volume on no more than half.

I have read a lot on other forums about "lag". However, in my own testing of the 6 Plus, I can not say the same. It is very fast with no lag at all. As far as the crashing of Apps complaint, only one App crashed on me once and I believe that is an issue related to iOS and not the device itself.

The screen itself is absolutely gorgeous. I love that it can rotate to landscape like the iPad's. So far all of my Apps appear to be updated for the 6 Plus except for a few. The ones that are compatible look great on the larger screen. Even the ones that aren't updated yet don't look out of focus or a bother to look at.

Here is my comparison view of my iPhone 6 and 6 plus side by side. Take note of the carrier signal and the reason why I ended my service with Verizon after just one day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's about it for day one. I'm looking forward to spending the next year with my 6 Plus as I believe Apple really did a great job with it considering its overall large size. :)

#8 Eileen89, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    charlyee likes this.
  9. Eileen89

Oh, cool. I'll let you know how it is to run with as I usually do about 15 to 20 miles a week to go along with my weightlifting.

dmapr likes this.
  10. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Eileen, very nicely detailed review, thank you.

With Vernon not working out for you, you will be using the 6 plus on AT&T, correct?

Sent from my 6/128/SG using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Eileen89

Thanks Charlyee. Yes, I have already transferred my AT&T SIM card into my 6 Plus and everything is working just fine. It might work out for the best now that AT&T might be forced to stop throttling data speeds for those of us that still have an unlimited data plan. I am going to be using my prepaid T-Mobile Sim in my iPhone 6.

charlyee likes this.
  12. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    All very cool, Eileen. Looks like a great fit. When I got my 6 on launch day, people thought I had performed magic to get it. :)

13. Eileen89

Were the 6's in short supply near you on launch day? I was able to walk into my local AT&T store at 11AM on launch day and walk out with a SG 64GB iPhone 6. The 6 Plus was the one that was sold out within the first few minutes of the store opening. I don't think there were many 6 Plus iPhones sent to any of the stores.

14. Eileen89

Figures, my FlipBelt was delivered to my house while I was at the gym, lol. When I got home I did go on a short run to test it out. If your wife is like me and always used a armband for running the FB will take a little getting used to. However, I have to say that I was very impressed with it. The 6 Plus fit nicely inside of it and stayed snugly in place simply by flipping the belt over as advertised. I was also able to fit my house key and identification cards in with it. The FB is very comfortable to wear even with a large phone inside of it. I think it is the perfect thing for exercising with the 6 Plus. I think your wife will like the FB, dmapr. :)

Here is a picture of the FB with my iPhone 6 Plus tucked inside.

[​IMG]

PS: check the tag out. The FB is actually made here in the US! :D

#14 Eileen89, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    dmapr and charlyee like this.
  15. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Hey!

I preordered two 6's and they were delivered on launch day by Fedex and UPS. One from ATT and one from Apple.

Was very lucky.

A few days later I walked into a Att store and they had two 6+'s but no 6's.

16. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Just about everyone I know that pre ordered a 6 got it on launch day, they were also available readily both at AT&T and at the Apple Store for a couple of days following launch.

If I hadn't stalled until 9/23 I would have had one within the first week.

It was the 6+ that no one ever saw at the stores around here and aptly called it "The Unicorn". :D

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    It was a very different story around here. Both preorder night and in the store the 6+'s were in excess. Go figure it

Water under the bridge.

18. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Pre-ordered my step-daughter's 6 on 9/13, didn't get it till the second week of October.

Thanks Eileen. Will definitely check it out. I am not really sure what her arrangement is, but I don't think it's an armband. Either a pouch or just in a pocket.

19. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Yes it is and the moral of the story for me is to remember not to do it this way again next year.
    Thats AT&T for you, there are people who ordered on 9/12 that still haven't got theirs and yet people who ordered weeks after I did got theirs in 1-2 weeks. In general most anyone who ordered the 6 on 9/12 around here, did get theirs on 9/19.

Btw, I keep reading about the 6 plus getting shipped ahead of schedule so I hope your wife gets hers sooner as well. Then it's AT&T so better not to hold your breath. :D

Eileen, didn't mean to take your thread off topic, sorry about that. :)

20. Eileen89

camera:
    For the test pics that I've taken so far with the 6 Plus I would say that are pretty much on par with my iPhone 6. Although, I will say, having the OIS feature has come in handy for me a few times during sporting events when I'm moving around and trying to get the perfect shot at the same time.

Love the Fall with all of its colorful changes.

[​IMG]

Practicing Parallel parking with my Daughter. :)

[​IMG]

Sent from my 128GB iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk.

#20 Eileen89, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  21. Eileen89

Battery:

I could not ask for anything more than 3 days of standby time like I'm seeing with the 6 Plus. So far I've only had to charge my 6 Plus twice. :)

First charge:

[​IMG]

Second charge:

[​IMG]

22. Eileen89

I love the landscape feature on the 6 Plus! Web browsing with tabs is nice. I also like that a few of my Apps can rotate into landscape mode as they do on the iPads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall, I would say the 6 Plus is a huge step forward for Apple. I think over time it will get better and better, although it is dang near perfect now. I LOVE the 6 Plus and would definitely have to say it is my favorite iPhone so far and I've had them all since the 3GS. If anyone is worried about the size, I would have to say, test it out for a week to really get a true feel for it. Even my iPhone 6 seems small to me now when I look at it.

charlyee likes this.
  23. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    The bigger battery is a keen feature if bigger phones. My lifestyle fits more the 4.7".

Nothing taken away from the 5.5"

24. Eileen89

That's a given. No worries, nothing can be taken away from the gorgeous 1080p 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus screen. :)
    Yes, based on your mini review, I would gather that the 4.7" 6 fits your needs more. Just as the 5.5" 6 Plus fits mine. ;)

charlyee likes this.
  25. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
  26. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Eileen, Great that you are liking the 6 plus so much

The latest WA tally as of today is 3 6 plus owners and 2 6 owners. So the plus is ahead by a nose. :)

27. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Hard to believe that others have not come forward.

28. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Oops forgot that Eileen has both a 6 and a 6 plus, so it's 3 and 3.

Eileen89 likes this.
  29. JWA

JWA New Member

Make that 4/3 :). My road to the 6 Plus:

I've purchased every iPhone since the first one on launch day until the 5S, as I saw that as the first gen that was really just a spec bump. Leading up to the launch, I was concerned about the rumors of size increases. I keep my phone in my front pants pocket, mostly jeans, and like to keep it with me while riding motorcycles and mountain bikes, etc. I also need to be able to get the thing out of my pocket while driving. I feared that the larger 6's would force me to hoard 5Ss until they became obsolete. Of course, I feared the same when the 5 went to 4".

On the other hand, I had been looking forward to the size increases for my wife, especially the 5.5". She probably doesn't wear her glasses as often as she should and I'd constantly see her squinting into her iPhone 5 answering texts or email, even with the font size bumped up and the Bold option turned on. We thought that the Plus with the Zoomed mode would be a lot more legible for her but still with more screen real estate. She also tends to use her phone for more web browsing than I do. Since she keeps it in her purse, we figured that the size wouldn't matter.

I pre-ordered a 6 for myself and a 6 Plus for my wife through AT&T the first night that they began taking orders, only because AT&T's site opened before Apple’s. Both of us went with silver/white 64GB models. There was some confusion as to the status of my wife's 6 Plus, but they both shipped on time and arrived on launch day.

In the end, my wife decided that she wanted to exchange the 6 Plus for a 6 primarily because it felt large in her hands and very large when holding it up to her ear for phone calls. We had three days left before the return window closed, so I thought it was a good opportunity for me to try the larger phone out. Surprisingly, by the end of the day my mind was set - I was keeping the 6 Plus.

While it is big, it still fits into my pocket fine. I feel it there, but it occurred to me that its physical presence in my day to day life seems commensurate with its role in it. In use the larger screen is wonderful. You don't feel like you are fighting the viewport. It kind of reminds me of my dad's old HP Palmtops or a good Handspring or Palm Pilot PDA. Back when I had the smallest cell phones one could buy, I also always had a PDA not far away. Even with the 5, I had an iPad Mini 4G to take on trips. Now I only have the one mobile device. I also especially like its size when holding it to my ear for phone calls. It feels like a "normal" office phone, and is long enough to hold against your shoulder if you need to. iPhone 5’s and even my wife’s 6 now feel tiny to me. It’s odd how quickly your perspective shifts.

I’m quite fond of my 6 Plus. The interesting thing about the current state of tech devices is that we really don’t know how they will fit into our daily lives until we spend some time with them. This trend has continued even with the iPhone, eight years on.

Eileen89 and charlyee like this.
  30. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Great review and background, thanks.

Glad you two got the phones that fit your lifestyle. I will be honest the idea of a plus does come to mind from time to time, but doesn't stay long enough to do something about. Maybe next year, I will think about it and give up on my eternal quest for a small tablet.

So the plus ahead by a nose again.