Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

iPhone 5C mini review

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by josephd, Oct 28, 2013.

1. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Coming from Android the past two years. And having the first generation iPhone back in 07.
    I thought it was time to take another spin with IOS.
    I have had the 5C for 3 weeks now. Originally I went to the Apple store to purchase the 5S
    When I got there they were out of the 5S, so
    I decided to purchase the white 5C. I am not a big fan of colored phones.
    So I was glad they had a white one in stock
    So far despite some negativity surrounding the 5C in comparison to the 5S.
    I am impressed with the device. It is made out of polycarbonate plastic.
    The build quality in my opinion is first rate, the phone feels solid, and fits nicely in my hand, even on long calls.
    For my area. The speed suits me fine, it is plent fast. [​IMG]
    The screen is clear, crisp, and sharp. The App Store has everything I need to keep things organized, and to do my banking.
    The camera takes very nice photos, not to mention the battery life is impressive.
    I can go the whole day with moderate to heavy use on a single charge.
    [​IMG]
    I do find that the phone "just works". But I also found you also need to stay in Apples sandbox.
    Or you will need workarounds for certain things.

For example, being an Amazon user, the kindle and MP3 store require you going to Safari to make purchases, rather than the app.
    The notification screen IMHO was IOS'S best upgrade. I love how emails, messages etc are all on the lock screen.
    So, I am sure there are other things about this device I will find as I go along.
    But for a first time Smartphone user, or if you're looking for a quality, solid performer on a budget.
    I would recommend giving the 5C a look.

4 people like this.
  2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Good to learn that your experience is going well, Joseph.

The Kindle/Amazon adventure is a mystery to me. With the Amazon App, you can purchase (one click or regular) anything from Amazon...except kindle books as you say.

Yet, if on the iPhone, through Safari at the Amazon site, you're presented with a mobile site version that is a simple and streamlined as the Amazon app...AND there you can purchase the Kindle book with one click or regular...and then it is available to view on your Kindle hardware, or Kindle app right away.

I sort of scratch my head on that one, but the experience is as easy either way, so I don't lose sleep over it.

Nice looking car btw. Have BT in the radio system there?

1 person likes this.
  3. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks VF, the website reason for Amazon is so Apple doesn't have to pay them some kind of fee.
    I think it is 30%, I saw a link somewhere about it.
    I agree with you though, it's no big deal. I have the websites for the Kindle, and MP3 saved.
    That's my Stepdads car. A 2013 Kia Optima, it's the fully loaded version with the chrome package.
    It has Bluetooth and then some.

1 person likes this.
  4. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    The reason is a bit different and still hard to understand logically.
    It' actually so that Amazon doesn't have to pay 30% to Apple. At least for ebooks. Everything else is fine.
    Maybe it goes back to the ebook feud between Apple and Amazon.

So according to Apple's App rules, ebooks sold via the Amazon App, Apple will get 30% of the price. So Amazon created a web app that does the same thing and bypasses the App Store rule.

But for some crazy reason, I can buy a coffee maker or anything else via the Amazon App. So doesn't Amazon not care in this case, or is the purchase treated differently since it is hardware versus a software product to be used on the phone?

I did some research to refresh my memory on this. Yes indeed it goes back to the feud between Apple (and publishers) against Amazon selling books at a loss (agency model vs wholesale model for ebooks). Being that there was a big court case lost by Apple and publishers, I wonder if it will change.

As we both found out, it's not a big deal in the end. If i plan to buy a book, I go directly to the web app, or a Home screen version of the same.

It is time for Apple to end this practice, IMO. It is silly to single out ebooks from everything else Amazon sells.

5. darkdecember

darkdecember New Member

shame though that 5c and 5s are almost the same, don't you think? the design and parameters, which i've checked it here Apple iPhone 5c 16GB vs Apple iPhone 5s 16GB - Comperio.co i like to stick with my iphone 4 and keep updating it. maybe some day i'll get the newest iphone, but for now - only 4!