Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

IPhone 5 Faulty Wake/Sleep button repair question.

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by charlyee, Jul 12, 2014.

1. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    https://ssl.apple.com/support/iphone5-sleepwakebutton/

My phone did not have a problem until a couple of days back. Since them it will only work if I depress it just right on the left side of the button. I checked my serial number in the above link and it does qualify.

I wanted to find out if I need to leave my phone at the store for the 5-6 days mentioned.

1. Called Apple Care, they said it can be done in the store if the store has the parts.

2. Called the store they said the button is not repairable so they will be giving me a replacement phone in kind. A new phone with possibly refurbished parts.

3. They cannot/refused to check inventory and tell me if they have an exact replacement. If they don't they will order it for me.

I really hate dealing with the Apple store, their attitude really sux.

Anyway my question is, has anyone had any experience with this. Do they repair it or replace it? How long does it take?

The nearest store is a good 30 miles away and I don't want to make a futile trip. If I need to leave my phone with them I will send it in instead of going to the store.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Did you mean they can't tell you if they have a replacement phone or button? Or a phone in the right Gb range? Right color?

My experience is they never fix anything, only replace. I had dust behind the lens which was fixable by blowing it out at the store. They just replaced the phone. My kid had a cracked glass, which is fixable, but they replaced the phone instead.

Even though the 5 is an old phone, 32 Gb is a very popular size. So if they have a 5 good chance it's a 32. Or maybe that is the problem. They only have 5S refurbished likely on hand in inventory. Being that the 5 is older?

I agree that attitude is unacceptable. It only makes sense if supplies of phones are limited and they don't/won't reserve one prior to your visit. They get a lot of no shows at a store, so they don't wish to deny someone a phone who actually went there.

If I were you, this is what I'd do. Call back c/s not the store and elevate to a manager level explaining the distance of your store.

If they still can't help, drive to the store, lunch, shop and most likely they will have your phone on hand. Or insist on a 5S

If they don't have the replacement, its sounds like they might give you a 16Gb loaner, from your link. AND then, email Tim Cook directly. His staff responds very quickly. Took one day in my case. Complain. I know they have a new head of stores on hand and they might take this seriously.

Forcing someone to drive is silly. Personally for me, a 30 min drive is nothing however. 2 hours would be a different story. My Apple store is 20 min away. 30 if there is traffic. I'd would just do the drive. I drive that far to the mall not knowing if they have shoes/clothes I want. Same with my car dealer- I just take the loaner if they can't repair that day.

My experience with refurbished phones has been good. The phone was in better shape than the old. My daughter had a problem where the new phone had a black line on the display that was discovered when home and had to go back. So check it out to your satisfaction before leaving the area.

Good luck!

PS: just curious. Did you initially buy this iphone 5 at Apple, Best Buy or ATT? What's their policy differences on fixing this?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro

#2 viewfly, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks vf,

I don't know if it is the color or gb, all she kept telling me is their policy is it to replace in kind and if they don't have one, they will order it for me.

I read somewhere that Apple is going more into repair over replacement and training personnel at the store to be able to do so. In the case of my battery they put in a new battery and not replace my phone. Maybe they do replacement for you because you have Apple Care?

I don't want them to reserve a phone for me but at least tell me if they have any, I don't understand what is so hard about checking inventory.

My phone is unlocked and I have some trips coming up where I need an unlocked device.

It's not the distance of the drive, it is almost impossible to find parking there on a weekend or after work and typically I don't go there for anything else.

Thanks for your suggestions but I don't want to spend that much time and energy getting something this simple done.

I can make the button work by depressing it just right, so I have decided to keep using it like that until it completely fails or an opportune time to get to the store comes up.

If it fails, I will switch to my Moto and then take it in.

I bought my phone from AT&T at full price, and to the best of my knowledge all repair replacement etc have to go through Apple. AT&T, BB etc would just send it in to Apple for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I see. What you wrote they already said they would replace not repair. Maybe if you make an appointment enough in advance, writing what you were told what would happen, they can have one there for you. I can't see why they would not order one for you, to be there when you arrive. When I had a broken Mac screen, I kept my MacBook and they called me when the part arrived. Seems like the same thing.

I think with a little extra effort you will work this out.

Actually I thought if a replacement was authorized, they just sent you the new phone, charged your cc and sent you a mailer. When the phone was returned your cc is refunded. ???

If I had a funky zipper on a suitcase, I'd get it repaired before leaving...

#4 viewfly, Jul 13, 2014
  5. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Lol Vf, If I had a funky zipper on my only suitcase I would get it fixed ASAP as well, however I do have the a Moto X which is also unlocked and equal to the iPhone 5 in performance and with some additional advantage over iOS.

Anyway, I called Apple Care technical support back this morning, they verified that in store it is replacement only not repair, and then gave me two other alternatives:

1. Send mine in for repair, a 7-10 day turn around time - free of charge.

2. They will send me an exact replacement, first and I can send mine back in that box, a 2-3 day express mail. This option however has a 29.00 fee associated with it.

I am still undecided. :D

That's the third item that has failed on my phone, the battery, the charging cord, and now this. Even though I have never had a problem with any of my phones ever, I can't honestly say "iPhone sux", since I have never kept a phone too far beyond 10 months. Seems like the iPhone problems started around the 10 month mark as well, so maybe I was doing it right by not keeping my phones beyond that ;)

PS: in the meantime, still using my bumper case. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 charlyee, Jul 13, 2014
  6. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Ah, I thought the Moto X was locked and that was the quandary.

Well you have plenty of options. Seems like if they can do all that, they should ship the replacement to the store for pick up-and save $29. Or just tell you if they have one there.

Most likely they do have one and are just covering the off chance that they run out when you show up.

7. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I absolutely agree. I don't really get the $29, it would make more sense to me if they held the full price of the phone and then released it when they got the old one back.

Oh well, like you said many options to choose from

Thanks much for your help.

8. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    hmmm. I'm guessing they will hold a CC number also, just in case, you skip town to India. ;) In any case, they have a card from your iTunes account/apps.

$29, well that the S&H for the postage and labor both ways. Shipping to a store would be internal though, and free. Its just what business' do and yes, it is full of overcharges.

I think Apple care is a good deal for me. I don't know if I get preference or not, but I would like to think so.

Just in case you missed it, the free repair offer is only good for two years from the first retail sale of the iPhone 5. I guess that means when you purchased it.

9. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Actually I did miss the time limit, thank you. :) It gives me another 7 months to decide, lol. No I am not going to take that long.

Question for you, I have read posts and I believe it may have happened to Anthromatt as well, that whether or not Apple gives you an unlocked replacement, when you connect it to iTunes and do a restore from backup, it gets unlocked if the original was unlocked. Is there any truth to this? Is this possible?

Thanks

10. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Well, my memory is a bit fuzzy on this one. If I remember correctly, I had an iPhone 5 replaced, that I unlocked privately. I received an unlocked one in return.

I think that I had an 4S, ATT unlocked, and had that replaced too. I remember asking the Apple guy, and he said it would be unlocked.

I'm guessing that they know everything about your phone from the serial numbers, even if unlocked by a third party. And if they take from stock, a locked phone, I'm sure they enter the paper work to unlock, so that when you restore from iTunes, it will be unlocked again. I know that I don't always get that message that the phone is unlocked from iTunes, but it is.

Not much help, but I don't remember any problems. So as long as your history shows owning an unlocked phone, they will handle the software side to have yours unlocked.

1 person likes this.
  11. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I managed a detour to the Apple Store on the way back from a vendor visit - the button was being erratic, perfect sometimes and taking 5 tries sometimes.

So my first impression was Apple Care tech support does not know what the store's do. I was told that they only did replacements if my phone was still under warranty or had Apple Care. I was given two choices:

1. Leave it with them for 5-7 business days, they will give me a 16 gb loaner which is only guaranteed to work as a phone, Messaging and E-Mail, so I was not to restore from backup.

2. I could upgrade to a 5s, the trade-in value of the iPhone 5 is 270 but they were giving anyone trading it in for the button problem a $80 store credit. This would make the new one $400 + tax.

I don't believe I would get any more than that in hand selling it on eBay after getting it fixed.

So that's the option I took with the bonus of now having two power cords and 2 ear buds.

The kid who helped was really nice but it frustrates me that I got so many different and confusing information.

It is unlocked (checked it with my TM SIM) and I like it so far, although I haven't used it as a phone, camera, or played music.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    wow, that is really confusing. Just curious, did you just walk in or have an appointment?
    I guess we now know the value of AppleCare. To be fair, the store went by what the web page said, and the person in C/S did not.

Well, I can't believe that you know have a 5S. Congratulation. Now with Touch ID too.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk Pro

1 person likes this.
  13. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks vf, I had an appointment and they took me in on time as well.

The kid was amused at the number of cases I had and he doesn't even know about the other 7 I got rid of. Lol

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

14. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Lol. You brought them all with you?

So did they have the right 5 in the store? I know you didn't go that route, but I wonder if you squeezed that info out of him using your womanly wiles on the kid?

15. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Lol, no vf I only had the bumper case on. He was admiring the pristine condition of my phone and we got off on a case discussion.

Nope I didn't ask directly but he gave me the impression that their refurb older phones were provider locked, I suppose they could unlock it for me. I didn't ask about the 32 or white.

No feminine wiles were deployed. :D

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

16. arammeia

arammeia Member

Even though the 5 is an old phone, 32 Gb is a very popular size. So if they have a 5 good chance it's a 32. Or maybe that is the problem. They only have 5S refurbished likely on hand in inventory. Being that the 5 is older?