Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

iphone 3g

Discussion in 'All Other Wireless Companies' started by nard, Apr 3, 2011.

1. nard

nard New Member

hello I'm new to the forum and i have a question? I have cincinnati bell wireless and i want to know if the Iphone 3G will work on CB and if there is anything that i must do besides put my sim card in it. :O

2. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Unless the phone is from Cincinnati Bell Wireless it will have to be jailbroken and unlocked before you can put a CB SIM card in it.

3. nard

nard New Member

Hey thanks for the help. It will be unlocked but u said jailbroken also is there a reason for that?

4. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    If I'm not mistaken, in order to unlock an iPhone 3G or higher you have to jailbreak as well. You can do a jailbreak without an unlock but not the other as far as I know.

5. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 27 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Expect EDGE (2G) data speeds, as Cincy Bell Wireless uses 1700/2100mhz for 3G, of which iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4 do not have. Cincy Bell's in the same boat as T-Mobile on this one.

Also, you will need to configure the phone for data use on CBW. They should be able to help you with the settings, or a Google search should provide a link to configuration instructions. Apple support forums may have information on this as well

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. nard

nard New Member

Just so I'm clear cincinnati bell says they have 3G but in truth it's 2G or is that just with the iphone? and would I be better off with a different version of the Iphone?:help:

7. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    CBW has 3G, but no version of the iPhone has the frequencies CBW uses for 3G. As I said, CBW is in the same boat as T-Mobile where the iPhone is concerned. Both carrier use UMTS 1700 for 3G, of which NO iPhone has.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    For the record:

iPhone 4 - GSM 850/900/1800/1900, UMTS 850/900/1900/2100 (not compatible with 2100 used by CBW)

iPhone 3GS & 3G - GSM 850/900/1800/1900, UMTS 850/1900/2100 (not compatible with 2100 used by CBW)

Cincinnatie Bell Wireless - GSM 1900, UMTS 1700/2100 (North America ONLY)

Note: CBW phones contain GSM 850 for roaming purposes on AT&T's network, though no part of native CBW uses that frequency.

The 2100mhz frequency used on the iPhone is for UMTS in other countries, not North America. CBW uses 1700. There's a technical reason for what CBW uses 2100 for. The answer can be found here: Advanced Wireless Services - Wikipedia

9. nard

nard New Member

Ok so I think I get it the Iphhone is not a good fit with CBW but I have 2 moor ?
    1)I have a BB with CBW and if I wanted to use another unlocked BB from ATT would it work?
    2) I was looking @ HTC HD2 would that work unlocked like the BB from ATT

10. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    They will work, but again, you won't have 3G speeds. AT&T phones do not have the 3G frequencies needed to work on CBW. Data will work, though, once you've configured it for use on CBW. The standard EDGE speeds is all you'll get as the regular GSM data is what AT&T and CBW have in common.

Unlocked T-Mobile 3G phones will work fine on CBW, as they both use the same 3G frequencies.

Any GSM phone will work with CBW, it's 3G use that can get lost in the shuffle because there isn't one standard ALL GSM carriers use. Available frequency allocation has a lot to do with it.

11. nard

nard New Member

So T-mobil is my best bet if I want a 3G phone that will work with CBW? Can I use all of there phones
    Except the 4G or just certain one's

12. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    As long as they're unlocked, you can use any T-Mobile phone. Data will need to be configured for CBW, but that should be it.

What T-Mobile calls "4G" is not 4G. LTE and WiMAX are considered 4G. You will get data as fast as CBW's network allows for where you use your phone.

All that matters with T-Mobile phones is that they share the same 3G frequency as CBW, unlike AT&T phones.

13. nard

nard New Member

so there phones T-mobile that is say that they are 4G but there not and even one that is will work with CBW? just wondering what is the best carrier out there?:help:

14. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Not sure what you are asking, but if you have service with CBW, and you don't like their phones, you can get any unlocked T-Mobile phone and be fine.

Don't worry about this 4G stuff. You're only confusing yourself and getting lost in the technicalities.

I only pointed out a limitation with using AT&T phones on CBW.

If you want to get the most out of an unlocked phone, T-Mobile-branded phones will work best for you on CBW. Otherwise get a CBW phone.

If you are not under contract with CBW and can freely go to any carrier you choose, Verizon and AT&T are probably your best bet. Not sure about Sprint.

15. nard

nard New Member

so i have another ? i think im going with the galaxy S vibrant cinbell has this phone but so does T-mobile my ? is there a diff between the two(Samsung SGH T959 Vibrant ) :help: im not to bright when it comes to these things phones

16. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    It's the same phone. :)

17. nard

nard New Member

so what does it mean when they say a phone is ROOTED and what is Froyo2.2:help:

#17 nard, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  18. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Rooting (Android OS) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"FroYo" is "Frozen Yogurt", otherwise known as Android version 2.2.

Android 2.3 is known as "Gingerbread".

Android 3.0 (for tablet devices) is referred to as "Honeycomb".

It's the codename they give incremental version upgrades. 2.2 is the most common version found on Android phones.

19. nard

nard New Member

Hi i hope that it's ok to ask this ? in this post so here goes. I have a BB 8900 it is a replacement from my orginal one any ways im trying to get the UMA to work when i do a diagnostic it says (ISP or wireless netork error) any suggestions on this to get it to work? Oh the wifi works fine and im useing cincinnati bell I also upgraded to the new OS

20. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Ask Cincinnati Bell this question. They can tell you if they still support it and/or if there are additional settings you need to input to make it work.

21. wjames811

wjames811 New Member

Hi, Here my iphone was lock due to some activity of my brother can u give solution that how to unlock.

22. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    What do you mean "lock?" Passcode lock, SIM lock? What's locked? (Oh, and tell your brother to keep his hands off your phone!)

23. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

To unlock your iPhone if you do not know what the passcode was that he used, you will need to connect your iPhone to your computer and restore it in iTunes first as this will reset it for you.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

24. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Also, be advised that if you have the wrong baseband your phone cannot be unlocked.