Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

CENTRAL U.S. -- IPCS cell site addition #'s

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by larry, Aug 2, 2008.

1. cellular_freak

cellular_freak Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Ok. So it looks as if Sprint has updated their Coverage Viewer online as of the 12th. As I suspected, it appears as though iPCS is only adding panels to towers/sites in which Nextel has a presence. They have yet to add panels to towers or build any towers that are brand new to an area that doesn't have Nextel around here. Which kind of stinks because Nextel has the lousiest coverage of any carrier in my area. They have only a handful of towers/sites in the two counties that iPCS is licensed to be in, in my area. I really wish they would expand to more places than just those because I would actually really think about switching to them. I don't want Thumb Cellular because they only work in the "Thumb" and I am not satisfied with AT&T's service at all.

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I'm still not convinced that IPCS and Sprint have any sort of agreement to do co-lo's together. If IPCS is not adding panels to the same array as Nextel (Removing one IDEN panel and replacing it with a CDMA panel) and using the same equipment lease area as Nextel then I just think this is a coincidence and nothing more.

3. cellular_freak

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    They may not have any sort of agreement, but I also don't think that it's a coincidence. If you take a look at the coverage viewer for my town and take a look at Nextel and Sprint coverage, you will see iPCS is only adding to Nextel-towns. To me, that's not coincidence. They're doing it on purpose. If Nextel only has 7 towers in the two counties that iPCS serves by me, and iPCS only adds 7 panels to those same towers or in those same towns, something's going on.

4. cheddar

cheddar Senior Member

Since most people don't know IPCS exist, it's possible they're trying to focusing on areas where the Sprint name is already known. It could make their marketing department's job a little easier. If they do get bought out than having Spring and Nextel gear on the same tower could make future maintenance a bit easier.

5. cellular_freak

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Yeah, that makes sense. I think one thing iPCS is doing is getting ready for QChat and they want to directly compete with Nextel. And they can do that by adding to Nextel towers. But, to me, it makes sense to add to more towers so they have better coverage than Nextel. That would be another selling point. Not saying, "oh, we have the same coverage Nextel has" because Nextel STINKS in my area.

6. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I think you should just have some more patience. IPCS has been proving that they are willing to invest money into the network as evident in the past quarter with over 67 new sites and another 15-20 new sites since July 1st. I would be very surprised if ALL of those were on Nextel locations. It's also too early to predict that IPCS will only be adding to Nextel locations. A small company like IPCS has to do what's best for them while not going over budget too fast. If that means targeting areas served by Nextel first because they can potentially gain more customers in those areas than that's probably what it is happening.

#36 larry, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  7. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    You can still have significantly different coverage from the same location given the two different air interfaces, frequencies, panel orientations, equipment, network tuning, etc.

For instance, Nextel may be operating at lower than optimal power to limit interference with public service agencies using the same band. It could also just be a poorly engineered or improperly tuned network.

8. cheddar

cheddar Senior Member

Regardless, here's hoping they can provide some competition in their territory. It is certainly needed.

9. cellular_freak

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I know. That's another big reason why I hope iPCS expands well here. The only carriers that have served my town have been AT&T, Thumb Cellular, and Nextel until iPCS just added a panel a couple weeks ago. But the thing is, everyone around here already has a cell phone and it's either one of these three carriers. I'm really wondering how iPCS is going to compete without really good coverage and at least build a store (which I don't see them doing, so nobody is really going to know they even work here).

10. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Just noticed the online coverage maps now show the new coverage around Caro, MI.

11. cellular_freak

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thanks for letting me know! It's been forever since they've updated their coverage viewer with that on there. That site has been active for a few months now. It's probably because it's iPCS and they have to relay the message to Sprint.

12. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    There have been 5 or 6 revision date changes to the maps this month alone but this is the first time I have actually seen anything added or changed on the maps in a while.

13. cellular_freak

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Yeah, I had noticed that. I hoped that they would have added Caro to those updates, but better late than never. It kinda stinks though that they aren't expanding onto some more towers in our area since we are very rural. If you looked at my address, you would see I'm at the very edge of Sprint's service area. I've been testing a Sprint phone for a while and I only get about 0-2 bars. The voice quality is fine if I'm at about 2 bars, but once I hit 1 to 0, my voice quality vastly dissipates. If they added a site to the Thumb Cellular tower, I think they would cover some more outlying areas.