Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

iPad2 +3G

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by AngusUK, Mar 3, 2011.

1. AngusUK

AngusUK New Member

I want to get the new iPad 2 with 3G in the US and use it in the UK and have a couple of questions:

1. Are the electronics of the two offered iPads (ATT and Verison) the same with just a different sim card or are they different animals?

2. If I get one of these in the US can I substitute a UK compatable sim card for data use here?

3. Are the iPads themselves locked to a particular network in the same way cell phones are?

Thanks for any and all information....Angus

2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hello there, welcome to WirelessAdvisor.:)

1. Yes, the electronics is different, Verizon is a CDMA provider and so you do not want to get that version.

2. An unlocked at&t iPad2 should work fine in the UK, however, since the release date for Europe is only a couple of weeks after the US one, maybe save yourself some hassle and wait?

3. Rumor has it the iPad2 is SIM unlocked but no one seems to know for sure, the original iPad was unlocked.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AngusUK

AngusUK New Member

Thanks Charlyee.

I am trying to save some money as electronics in the UK are about double what they are in the US and I am visiting a friend there next week as it happens.I guess I will just have to ask in the Apple Store when I am there. It seems the ATT version is the one to go for though...thanks

4. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    The iPad2 with 3G/WiFi aren't locked to any carrier because they are NOT under contract. As it states on the Apple iPad site, you can cancel 3G cellular data anytime, all via the iPad directly.

As for the CDMA iPad2 3G/WiFi, there is no SIM card. If Sprint is able to support data use for the device, one could conceivably try to activate it with them, but it's more whether Sprint (or other CDMA providers) are willing to support it versus the iPad's inability to work on anyone else other than Verizon.

Angus UK, in your case, the AT&T "version" is the one you'd want, as it has all the supporting frequencies to work both in the US and abroad. You'd just be paying AT&T to access cellular data here, then when you're back in the UK, using service with your chosen provider there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I can imagine you in the Apple store asking those questions... The poor person probably would not have a clue, (as they're trained to respond to US customers, they may not know the answers to those questions) and respond with something like... "Did I mention the leatherette carrying case was black?"

6. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    I think you're not giving the Apple store people enough credit. It's likely that they do know that it can support mobile networks all over the world. It may be hard to believe but it's likely that people who work in the Apple store are versed on what the devices they sell do. It's not the same experience walking into an Apple store as it is to walk in to Buy More... er Best Buy. :)

7. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I was so upset over the way I was treated @ BB when I tried to get my old laptop serviced under warranty, that I have not bought anything in their stores since. Between Microcenter and HH Gregg I can have all my electronics needs met without going to BB.

8. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Apple Store != Best Buy. VERY different.

9. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Having numerous Apple stores with the Genius Bar to answer questions, swapped out equipment and do some repairs is a real plus in the phone market (beside the whole computer part of it).

I remember have to fedex my Nokia back for repairs and the time to do that. Cingluar would have nothing to do with it, after they sold it to me. A lot different experience going to the Apple store...even if you bought the product at an AT&T branch.

Forget Best Buy.

10. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Since I didn't believe that the iPad2 has "all the bands" (six?), I went to Apple's site and found it has four on the 3G+WiFi model:
    UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz).

COtech