Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

iOS 7 - your opinions please

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by charlyee, Jun 11, 2013.

?

iOS Opinion please

1. Love it - meets and exceeds my expectation.

50.0%
  2. It's okay but I expected more

28.6%
  3. Hate it - I am not upgrading

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Who cares about Apple.

21.4%
  1. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

Hey, thanks VF. Good to see you too. I see WA has added a few new iPhone users since my last visit here. I still think there are other features of Jailbreak that might be worth it still, however, I am willing to stay stock until I've spent a fair enough time with iOS7 to see if it has enough things to meet my needs. Only thing I can see missing now with not Jailbreaking would be my "PdaNet" app which allows me to tether my iPhone 5 unlimited data plan with my iPad Mini for free.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 2

2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    You are the one person I still see jail breaking. You love custom home screens and Apple didn't give you exactly that.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

3. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Finally got around to loading iOS 7, beta 2 on an iPhone 4. I'll give some impressions in a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

4. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Beta 2 has been pretty solid for me on my iPhone 5 and on my iPad so far today. Battery life has improved and about 80% of the main bugs I experienced every day with Beta 1 are now fixed.

1 person likes this.
  5. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Been playing with iOS7 for a day. Some impressions on what can be seen on Apple's public site, but now I can see how it looks on a phone. I can comment on them with violating any agreement.

Firstly, yes Charlyee, uploading to Flikr is just like posting to FB, a tweet, all done from the sharing pop up. Easy to do.

Overall, the functionality of the new features and additions are quite fine. Swiping back in the Settings menu is better than clicking, the Compass app is much improved esp wrt to the calibration (don't have the figure 8 your phone in public anymore), and is a very nice display. The new Control panel great and notifications get an update as does even general opening of the apps, zooming out from a corner.

All that is great stuff. Having the flashlight, wifi available in lock screen is super. Never was a show stopper, but good to have.

Was disappointed that they currently are not giving people a customizable Android like Home screen, where one can display weather, a few apps (on a non grid basis) and some other things. Personally, I don't need it, and didn't really care for it on my Nokia, a decade back...but I'm a bit tired of the whining from Android-fans on forums about the lack of it. Without that feature, I'm sure it will still look outdated to some.

Functionally it is great. And I'm okay with the 'Flat' presentations. However, I'm not so hot some of the flat Icons, color choices and the light grey motif throughout. Overall, it gives the impression of being 'washed out' and cartoonish. I had to choose a dark theme for the Home wallpaper to make it work for me.

Some examples:

The Note app moved away from looking like a yellow pad. I understand that means 'flat'. Well, they kept the Icon almost the same, but chose a pale yellow almost orange that looks, well, weird. In the app, and all apps in general, they use the slim light grey fonts, and light grey backgrounds...it is just too blah. Make the notepad, a real yellow.

Same with the email app. Inside, where they once had darker grey top and bottom bands, and blue colored fonts for the message time stamp...that stamp is light grey, and just doesn't stand out.

Same with the Reminder app. I mean I really like the classic Apple choice of grey on grey/black/white. And throwing in some color is cool, but a funky orange and purple? I'm retching here. :nono:

Maybe some things might change before launch. Functionally it is VERY Apple and cool. From a graphic design point of view, some things are not, well not at least Jobs quality. Other things are fine, like the weather and calendar display. But not the Reminders, Notes, and worst is the Messaging display. They could have made that background a bit deeper in grey...just too well 'Flat' from a graphic viewpoint, even for a dedicated B&W photographer I pretend to be sometimes. An orange Delete button?:nono:

I suppose I'll get use to it. I'm not sure about Joni designs, if this was his hand.

I was hoping the icons and some apps would look better in person.

Still a superior OS, IMO,and some graphics look good, but others went downhill and need some changes to fit in with Apple's style. The graphic design is what Jobs spent hours on,and what made them different and better looking from Android and Microsoft. Now, in some ways, they are looking the same. One doesn't have be total skeuomorphism here, but many, many liked that. Like I said, it needs some tweaking.

I guess that I'd give the functionality a 5, but the visual appeal maybe a 3. Also pretty slow on the iphone 4, and still pretty buggy. But it is only beta 2.

#35 viewfly, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  6. Eileen89

After seeing a lot of screenshots for iOS 7 I have to say thus far I am not impressed. I saw a few screenshots of iOS 7 on on the iPad that was posted over at MR and I just don't like it at all.... I just might end up with a new HTC One or GS4 instead of the new iPhone. IMHO, those devices running JB OS look more polished and thought out than iOS 7.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2.

1 person likes this.
  7. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Lets hope Apple takes our comments to heart.

Functionally iOS 7 is very nice. I'm not jumping to Android cause of color selections.

I'm hoping for a surprise before the Fall. Probably half the people with Apple Developer licenses work for Google and Samsung. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

8. Eileen89

I hear ya about the color selection and it's not just that. I feel as though things with the new UI could have been made a little better. For one, I do not like the way they made the number keypad under phone. Also the app icons themselves could have been designed better than they were. If you have white wallpaper for instance, icons like Calendar, Game Center, Photos, Notes, Safari, and Reminders will wash right in to the background. I would have mentioned the Newsstand app too but I keep that on the very last page as I don't use it anyway. One other thing is the way they made the Mailbox app White. It is a little too White for me. Why not throw just a tad bit more color into it to make it easier on the eyes? .... All that aside there are things that I do like such as; Control Center, Notification Center, the new Multitasking, and the Weather app. Safari is nice in that Apple allows the lower bar to disappear while in portrait mode, although this still isn't "Fullscreen mode" since the top bar is still viewable while browsing..... I might just change my mind about a few of the things that I mentioned once iOS 7's final product is released to the public...

1 person likes this.
  9. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Beta 3 is even more solid than Beta 2 (go figure). Battery life has been much better for me on my Verizon iPhone 5. Animations are much smoother and haven't experienced a re-spring since installing it. Multitasking also works now (before it caused a re-spring almost every time). Everything is just getting fine tuned.

Text is now more bold throughout the OS and is easier to read. There are also some minor graphic changes that are an improvement.

3 people like this.
  10. Eileen89

TWX, thanks for keeping us updated on the new changes. The Bold text sounds like a nice change and one that will definitely help make the text easier to read with the White backgrounds. :)

11. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I agree 100% IrishRose. We are on the same page here, and it is bland. ;)

I'm hoping that Apple has a last minute ace up it's sleeve. I just download iOS 7, beta 3 this afternoon. Yes, it's a different font and a bit larger, bolder. It does help.

The best that I can describe it is imagine Tapatalk 2, without the blue/red strip at the top, but just more grey!

Beta 3 is still missing a lot of working components. Plus I'm on a iPhone 4 with it. Thanks for the updates and I can see what you are saying.

Fall is a ways off yet.

12. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I was told that there were 8 betas for iOS 6 and then the Gold Master, considering that I am sure lot will change.

Visually I am not seeing any deal breakers although a little color and boldness will help. I am looking forward to the changes in the notification center, built in flashlight etc.

Sent From My Mobile Device Using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    My battery life has been ridiculously amazing since Beta 3, I'll reiterate that again. I can't post any screenshots as the phone isn't metering the usage, but it's better then I've ever had on iOS 6 on my VZ i5.

2 people like this.
  14. Steve B

Steve B Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    My general thoughts from what I've seen of iOS 7...especially the icons, it reminds of something that I would call a child's candy phone. :-/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    iOS 7 is available for download at 1 pm EST today, Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Downloaded, update is "preparing" as I type this.

1 person likes this.
  17. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Well, the update is installed, but my phone is a paperweight since Apple's iPhone Activation Server is dead. Good thing I decided to install as new. :mad:

18. Steve B

Steve B Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I like it. Its definitely different. I'm really liking iTunes Radio also.

19. JWA

JWA New Member

All three of my i-devices downloaded it quickly. My iPad 3 and iPhone 5 both installed it right away but I can't seem to get my iPad Mini to get past the update verification server. I didn't download or play with any of the betas, so my initial thoughts are:

• iTunes radio is quite nice. Will be great on my AppleTV in the garage and at the office.
    • The new notification center is nice, but it would be better if you could have it default to showing on the lock screen with no pull down required.
    • The new control center is great. I would prefer it if the icon to take you to the time would take you to the last used tab in the clock app. I edit my alarms more often than needing the timer.
    • The flat dock and folder backgrounds look pretty bland. It doesn't all have to be flat. Some depth would be ok.
    • The extreme dimensionality of the enter/exit effects is a bit much. Steve Jobs would have made them tone that down.
    • It is cool how the direction of the zoom out of the app goes towards the app's icon.
    • The way that folders zoom out seems less refined than the old slide style.
    • Having to swipe within folders seems a bit lame.
    • Nice that you can now move Newstand into a folder.
    • I'm not a fan of the circles used in the phone app.
    • I like the way that the Settings screen is laid out.
    • The new toggle switches inexplicably have depth and shape to them. They're less flat than the old ones, and don't convey their function very well.
    • I had to Google how to close apps. (enter multitasking mode with the double-click on the home button, then swipe the app's screen preview upwards).
    • The new multitasking view is cool.
    • The animated clock including the seconds hand is interesting. Would seem to be too much resource allocation for such a subtle effect.
    • Speaking of effects, the parallax on the home screen seems like a gimmick.
    • The "dynamic" wallpapers also seem like a gimmick.
    • I liked the older swipe to unlock section better than the swipe to push the lock screen away effect.
    • The proportions in the new icons seem off. They need more of a margin. Otherwise fine.
    • The overall lighter color scheme is nice.
    • I don't miss any of the skeuomorphism.
    • I found myself thinking that the apps like Mail seem a bit more "Apple", so maybe it's more of a classic OS vibe.
    • I like the clean lines with good symmetry and alignment.
    • It feels like the action buttons and status indicators are harder to read. Requires more searching and focus. I'm glad they went to a slightly thicker font, because it must have been terrible before.
    • The colors/style in the camera app seem out of place within the rest of the OS.
    • Some of the misc. menus seem random and inconsistent. Like the new Contact menu in a Messages conversation. Or the new Edit button in the Notification Center setting pane.
    • The new Calendar app layout is beautiful.
    • They reversed the direction of the swipe to delete messages in Mail.

In general it's a bit of a mixed bag. There seem to be more minuses than pluses. It feels like they may have swung a bit too far. The phone app, which I use a lot, seems more 'amateur' than the old one. Taking a couple business calls just now it seemed off to be picking between cute little circles and hitting a pink End Call button. Hopefully they'll smooth things out a bit with future releases.

1 person likes this.
  20. JWA

JWA New Member

Some other thoughts:

My Mini still won't get past the update verification. My wife's iPhone made it past in the mean time.

The male voice for Siri is smoother, though it seems odd calling a guy Siri. It's also great that you can ask Siri to pull up specific apps and specific settings panels. You can also tell him/her to "Learn pronunciation"

The lock screen sound now has pronounced reverb.

The new option to completely block contacts seems like a good idea.

1 person likes this.
  21. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    A bit upset that airdrop doesn't support connecting to MacBooks. Only IDevices. Well maybe the next few 7.x upgrades will

Really like the compass and the new calibration mode.

And I miss the animated trash can.

22. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    iPad Mini done. Went smoothly this am

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk Pro

23. JWA

JWA New Member

A couple nice touches that I've noticed:

• The background while the update was applied was black on my black devices and white on my wife's white devices.
    • If a time is mentioned in a text conversation, you can now click on it and choose to create an event. It just understood that "2:00" in a text from my hair stylist meant 2:00pm today and saved me a fair amount of tapping to add the appointment to my calendar.

Additionally, the backgrounds for the folders and dock have a frosted glass effect - they aren't just flat as it appeared over my standard non-obtrusive lightly textured black wallpaper. They look a bit better over a photo background.

The Evernote update is a real shame. I thought that their last version featured an incredibly well thought out and implemented UI. Now it's just some generic note app.

24. JWA

JWA New Member

It's odd that the trash can in notes isn't automated, but there is a simple animation for deleting and moving in Mail.

25. JWA

JWA New Member

A friend asked me about the process to delete individual text messages. I figured it out, but it's rather involved and awkward.

26. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Just hold press select More and then delete.

So I gave iOS 7 my official Thumps Up! :)

27. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I'm finding that I don't mind the flat icons so much.

But I do miss the yellow note pad...and in general the high contrast, white background in Reminders, the calendar just too much. It probably is not different in any other OS, but Apple approach in the last 30 + years was much more attractive in my opinion.

J. Ives may be a genius of design, but when it comes to these things above (or a metal or glass phone without little feet on the back like a MacBook pro), he is very unrealistic.

28. JWA

JWA New Member

It does seem like they went a bit too conceptual with the "Kill all skeuomorphism" push. It feels like they were lacking in the restraint that has been their hallmark in modern times. Maybe that was Steve's main contribution, to reign them in a bit.

You may like this: IPHONE 5 ALCANTARA® MIDNIGHT BLACK VEIL - ACCESSORIES. It's a simple die-cut piece of alcantara that sticks to the back of the phone. Gives it just enough grip and tactility but doesn't add much thickness and still slides in and out of your pocket nicely.

29. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Yeah, I am a fan of the new compass as well.

1 person likes this.
  30. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I am late to the iOS 7 party here. I haven't upgraded my phone yet but did my iPad2 late last. I haven't had too much chance to play with it but for sure I need a different wallpaper with it. :)

I hope to update my phone today and have a chance to play with it more.

Sent From My iPhone 5 Using Tapatalk