Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Internet Surfing with HTC P6300

Discussion in 'Other Smartphones and Mobile Operating Systems' started by donhuff, Mar 30, 2008.

1. donhuff

donhuff New Member

Can anyone help me?

I am looking at purchasing an unlocked HTC P6300 for internet surfing. I live in the US. How do I select a carrier/service provider? After that, how do I set up the device?

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    It is a European model phone, and does not utilize all the bands used here in the US. In the US it will operate on 1900 only, so you cannot use any towers operating on 850. I do not recommend this for use as a primary phone in the US. You will most likely experience reduced coverage.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. donhuff

donhuff New Member

Thanks for the reply. I am not cellularly proficient. I have some questions, though:

1. I only want to use it for internet surfing, not as phone. Would it function appropriately then?
    2. I travel to certain cities. Is there a map showing coverage by band by city?

4. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    If you are depending on the phone's internet connection then yes it matters. If you plan on using WiFi then I guess it really does not matter. I don't see the logic of paying that much when you can just get a plain old PDA with WiFi much cheaper.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. donhuff

donhuff New Member

Because I have to be at a wifi location (and often need a subscription) with wifi, while phone PDA has lower location limitations.

6. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Ok then, you are counting on using the phone's internet connection at least part of the time. I do not recommend getting a device that will operate only on 1900 in the US. You want 850 & 1900.

-Jay

7. donhuff

donhuff New Member

OK - good advice! Sounds like unless I am cellular expert, better to stay with cell company device than attempt to set up my own.

8. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    You can get your own device, just don't buy one built for use in Europe. I would recommend getting a quadband device (850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900). This should work just about anywhere you go in the world. Triband models usually only work well in europe because most often triband models lack the US 850 band.

If you are considering a device from a US based carrier might I suggest the AT&T Tilt (HTC Kaiser). I have this phone and I have been very pleased with it. Plus last time I checked it was $300 with a 2 year agreement. I'm sure there are better deals out there now though.

-Jay

-