Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Interesting... (MA)

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Gideon H, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Gideon H

Gideon H Quase Três Anos Com WA!

My Phone:
    Motorola E398
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TIM Brasil
    I was driving West on the Mass Pike today and about a mile before exit 10A in Worcester there's one of those Cingular billboards that say "Raising The Bar" with 5 bars breaking out of the top of the sign. So I decided to check my phone. Now, you'd think that near a billboard that that would be in a full coverage area. But this Billboard, however, is in a place where I only get 2 bars. Just thought that was interesting. Still love Cingular ;).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    If you could have, a nice photo of both the billboard and the phone showing the 2 bars in the same image should have been taken and sent to Cingular. :D

After trying out several prepays over six months, I finally went with T-Mobile for postpay (and I can thank the disagreement between the local Cingular store and Cingular customer service for it.) :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    :lol:

Isn't that false advertising on Cingular's part?......j/k.....:smilebig: :p

Thanks for sharing that with us Gideon.

4. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

just like Bobo said

When you are good, you can afford to lie a little bit and still get away with it. But when you are horrible, nobody is going to believe you otherwise, so you better be honest.

This reminds me of one of the Posters here in WA but
    it was in Wisconsin where there was a
    "Can You Hear Me Now" Billboard.
    The Billboard was right on a Dead Zone.

5. Gideon H

My Phone:
    Motorola E398
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TIM Brasil
    Well I did forget to say that a minute later (when I passed exit 10A) I did have full coverage. So not bad. If I get a chance I'll get a picture of the billboard and my phone with my digital camera :).

6. jones

#6 jones, Mar 20, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  7. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    Cingular advertising the number of bars is misleading. My phone might have less bars than your phone yet have a better signal.

Bars on phones are not a good indicator of reception since different phone manufacturers have different measuring scales.

What really counts is how the phone works with your carrier when and where you use it not the number of bars it shows.

8. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    GH, your phone could have had 5 bars if in a call though. Hey, as long as it works, right? Imagine if calls always dropped there, that'd irritate people. I know Verizon had a billboard in Miami, and there was a Verizon and ATT cellsite right next to it, which was cool. Too bad that site was further away from my hotel than the others, leading to poor ATT GSM (I had gophone then) and Verizon service!

9. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    It's a good thing we don't have a signal strength meters on our car FM radios. Everyone would complain that the bars are poor, while enjoying the music. Reminds me of the Ham days. We would always relate the guys received signal (which btw is half the fun) while still hearing him clearly and carrying on a good conversation.

Remember, in advertising, Perception IS Reality.

Good story though. I have one of my own that is very similar.

10. jones

These ADS
    raises the question of WHERE?
    Like Can U Hear Me Now? Can u Hear me Now Where?
    In Iowa or Washington?

11. Gideon H

My Phone:
    Motorola E398
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TIM Brasil
    I actually couldn't care less about how many bars I had when I saw that billboard. I just thought it was interesting to see a billboard showing 5 bars with the related phone showing 2. But my phone does work in that area and that's all that matters. :)

12. probboy2

probboy2 New Member

Isn't there a blue tower right next to that billboard (in a self-storage lot)?