Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Interesting and Possibly Stupid Question

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by t720, Dec 22, 2003.

1. t720

t720 Senior Member

This question can belong in any of the forums, not just northeastern, but it's a question that I've been wondering about. Is buying another phone and changing your plan (including extending your contract) considered a new activation? I'm not really sure what exactly a new activation is considered, does it just mean that you are activating a new contract or that you are becoming a new member of Carrier X? I was wondering that because if I were to change my phone and plan and resign a contract, I would like to know if I would apply for the crazy rebates they give on some of these new phones.

2. orioles150

orioles150 Senior Member

My Phone:
    e815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    well it depends on what the exact wording is. If it says 'new activation' I believe it means becoming a new customer (with Sprint I applied for a rebate when only re-signing a contract, and I was rejected) Verizon's rebate merely states that you need to 'buy the phone and activate it' this would mean you can do it by just activating the phone. So I guess to answer your question: as far as my experiences have gone extending a contract is NOT considered a new activation.

3. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Dude, you have ATT. They won't give you a ridiculously good price on a phone at least no last i heard. Mind you with all the business theyb are lossing in NY you might want to try anyway. Ask at the store. If they say no go home and call Customer Service. Let us know what they tell you ok.

4. t720

t720 Senior Member

First of all, I'm not looking for a retention plan. I'm not leaving, I'm not trying to out myself out of anything, I'm only trying to figure out if I were to sign up for a new plan (a/k/a higher amount of minutes) and sign another contract (say for a year or two), would I apply for the crazy rebates (yes, some phones have up to $150 or $200 off on them) that they give on their site?

Customer service is insane right now and I'm really not in the mood to call them [​IMG] , LOL. The number portability thing is clogging all of their lines and the wait is ridiculously long. Looks like Siebel didn't do it's job right. Oh well. After christmas things might clear up, though.

Oh well, if it can't be answered here, to the AT&T Wireless Chat Lounge (on the attws.com site, a/k/a the chat room from hell) I go [​IMG].

5. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    I understood the question and I understand your reluctance to call CS right now. What i am saying is from searching these forums and Howards forums the answer is no. Those ridiculously good prices that New customers can get from the website? you can't get them. Why? Cause ATT is not quite that desperate to keep you, among other reasons. If you can convince the right CS person on the right day at the right time, then yes you MIGHT be able to get a severly cost reduced phone. But other than that no.

6. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    If you were to sign a new contract for 2 years you would be able to get the rebates they offer. But don't go by the ones on the web site, they are for new customers only. When you go to the store and talk to a rep he will let you know what rebates you can be eligable for, or you can call CS and they will help you with that.

7. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    no if its the same carrier then your not a new activation unless you do it under someone elses name....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...