Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Insurance--What is the Real Story

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by KevinJames, Nov 30, 2001.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Since we seem to have a good number of industry reps here now, I've got a question that has puzzled me for some time. Within the last year, I have seen about three or four posts from subscribers on different carriers that complained about paying for phone insurance and then being sent a cheap replacement for the expensive phone they bought. Neither the quality nor the features of the phone were anywhere near what they had originally.

What is the "real" story behind this insurance? I know it is not run by the carriers themselves but administered by another firm. Are there several of these companies and if so is any one of them more reputable than the other?

Kevin

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Kevin,

we use Willis Royal and AON. Neither is very good but the insurance should allow you a phone of comparable value if your phone is no longer available. The other thing is they limit the amount of claims you can make (I think 2 a year). I think insurance depends on the type of user you are and what type of phone you have. Obviously if you spend several hundred dollars on your phone the insurance option makes more sense. But if you also happen to be a high user the carriers usually take care of you so if you did happen to lose your phone it might not be as big of a deal.

I'm not sold on the need for insurance on cell phones but I take care of my belongings and therefore haven't had the need for that additional expense.

Tom

3. DiverDown

DiverDown Member

Actually Kevin, what your saying could be true, but all I know about wireless insurance companies is from personal expeirence. And when I dropped my phone in the toilet (hey at least I am admitting that it happened), The insurance company that I had through Verizon happened to be out of my phone when I called, so they upgraded me. But hey, I am good talker.

4. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

Phone Insurance there is the biggest dealer joke of them all the only one that has some credibility is Nextel but all they do is fix your phone not replace is, well in certain instances they have and now they are throwing money at the dealers for training programs on how to fix these phones, (I never went don't need the extra headache). The thing that AT&T does is that you can now put insurance on it when you are activating or so you thought. I put insurance on for one customer it costs about $2.99 a month and then you pay a deductible of some sort like 30 or more and they send you a new phone (Exactly the way I explained it to the consumer) wrong this customer lost there phone about two weeks later and called AT&T to find out they didn't have insurance put on the phone. They came to me and explained the problem I went and called AT&T and explained that on the contract when you check off all the things that are included well for other I put insurance at 2.99 a month added on. The AT&T sales rep explained to me that after they buy the phone from the dealer they are to call AT&T and put it on themselves my gripe was how come they didn't tell me this so i could tell the customer and then i asked for a supervisor. He came on I believe his name was John or James and he said that it takes 30 days for it to clear (Another thing they didn't tell me). As usual AT&T along with the other companys try to make it look like the dealers are at fault. Well I explained to the customer there was nothing more we could do and they would just have to buy another phone and we would switch the ESN's for free. Needless to say I lost a customer that day (SIGH). Also Voicestream has a warranty card in the box that promises if your phone malfunctions you call a number and they ship a phone to you in 24 hours. This is where they send you a discontinued model for a model that you probably paid oh say 100 dollars or more for. In my opinion the only thing we can do about this is don't lose or break your phone even though I know thats impossible.