Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Incoming calls directly to voicemail while I am in service

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by nick2588, Oct 3, 2007.

1. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    This seems to be a new problem for me, or at least something I wasn't aware of before. Sometimes when people try to call me, my phone won't even ring and the call will go directly to voicemail. I will be sitting at my desk working on a paper or something and my phone will be in my pocket doing nothing, but it don't indicate that anyone tried to call. This has happened three times that I know of, twice the call was from a landline and once the call was from a cell phone. It's kind of annoying to not be able to receive calls consistently.

At first I thought it might have to do with my coverage, but it happens on both the Sprint network and when I roam on Verizon regardless of the number of bars I have on my phone. At my desk now, I have 3 bars on Sprint (or 6 on Verizon if I force roaming) and two of the three times I know I haven't received calls have been in this location. What's going on? Is this just something to accept because it seems to happen infrequently? Can Sprint even really do anything about this if I bring it to their attention?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    So this happens both on Sprint and on Verizon, right? Is your phone switching between that weak Sprint signal and the strong Verizon signal constantly or does this also happen when you force roam? If it also happens when you force roam, maybe you need to make a call right when you force roam to correctly register with Verizon's network.

3. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wirelessly posted (Crackberry 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

The reason it is happening on Sprint or Verizon is because this is a CDMA issue. It can happen on any CDMA carrier.

A search of the forums should provide an explanation as to why.

4. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Calls going straight to voicemail is a CDMA issue? I would say calls going straight to voicemail is more of a GSM issue, CDMA phones will ring a few times before going to voice mail even if the actual phone is not ringing (because of a CDMA issue).

5. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wirelessly posted (Crackberry 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Well that is what I meant. To the person that is supposed to be receiving the call, their phone won't ring even if the person placing the calls hears the fake ringing.

6. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Got ya. And as you said this could be a CDMA problem, but the problem really is not a huge CDMA problem anymore. I haven't worried about that for years now.

7. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    This is a very common problem on CDMA systems and it's caused by a variety of reasons. Most of which cannot be fixed. Examples:

Data activity on the phone. A picture mail or other media messages is in the process of arriving to your phone at the exact same time as the incoming call. If you don't disable vision after each use the vision arrows will move every so often to keep connected to the network and if an incoming call happens to come in right at that time you will not receive it and it will go directly to voice mail.

You are on the border of two different network switches (this is probably the most common reason) and your phone can see both of them at the same time. This results in the paging channel not being able to locate your phone in time in order to deliver the incoming call.

Capacity. If the local tower is picking up too much traffic it will give priority to outgoing calls over incoming calls. This is less common but certainly can happen.

8. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

Thanls for posting that Larry. I was too lazy to type all that out on my phone. :)

9. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    No, I mean that whether or not I force roaming I have problems. At my desk at least, I don't bounce between Sprint and Verizon (it's just when I go pretty much anywhere on campus). I would chalk it up to local towers being overloaded (Sprint gives me "network busy" too frequently), but that isn't an issue I've ever experienced with Verizon. I guess it's just inevitable.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    If you are getting network busy messages than I would think capacity is probably the issue. I have never received a network busy message on Sprint (well at least in the past 5 years) and it's pretty rare for capacity trouble to happen on Sprint.

11. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    To tell you the truth I almost passed on it myself. I should keep a copy and paste file of this on my computer because I type out all of that incoming call related stuff too often on forums. :D

12. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    LOL cause they are losing customers.:wink:

13. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Not really. The CDMA side of things has been doing just fine and gaining plenty of customers. The past problems have been linked to the IDEN side of things which have brought down the overall stats.

14. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well the first problem could it be something Sprint could fix with the way they handle vision? On Verizon, I even get incoming calls now while I am in the process of sending a SMS right when another person tries to call. Also, while doing data on 1x, incoming calls come through to my phone as well. So maybe Sprint needs to start fixing some of their problems?

The NID is an inevitable problem and no carriers has a fix for that right now. Also, with capacity, if the closest cell site is at/near capacity, my phone will connect to a further away tower and complete the call.

15. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Trust me, they happen. Southern California has seen tons and tons of new towers so capacity issues are minimal/nonexistant, but other parts of the country cannot be generalized into this.

16. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Idk.......this happened to me on T-Mobile every once in a while too.....

it seems to me that when you dial a CDMA cell number it starts ringing even before the phone rings......whereas on GSM the ringing doesnt start until the phone starts ringing.......i think this can be deceiving because the ringing will start when it starts looking for the phone.......so i can have full service and a person will start calling me and they will hear it ringing when all it's doing is searching for my phone which has full service

i have only gotten a network busy message 3 times since i activated service last November.......sometimes service becomes "busy" when i go crazy with the texting and it "times me out" for a minute but nothing long

well the SMS while a phonecall is coming through isnt an issue..........honestly if that situation happens the phone will usually stop the text to do the phone call.......

17. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    As Larry said, SMS is not an issue. SMS does not use the voice channel so you can send/receive texts during phone calls as much as you want. If the phone itself crashes when a call comes in while sending a text, that is a phone issue, not a network issue.

As for data...on an active data session no calls are possible. You can be reading a page that has already loaded and the call will come in, but if your browser is actively transmitting data, calls get sent to voicemail. I am pretty sure that is the same on VZW as it is on Sprint since it is simply a matter of data and voice needing to occupy the same channels.

18. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Actually, now that I think about it, Verizon may have an advantage over Sprint in the markets where they have deployed 1900 and 800 CDMA. I think if they use one frequency for the data and one for voice, then the phone might be able to receive a call while in an active data session. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

19. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

It's not that simple and there's no fix. A call cannot come in while data activity is in process. If Verizon is able to use two different frequencies for this than good for them. But obviously Sprint only has one frequency.

20. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    What I was saying with SMS was that if I'm sending a SMS at the exact moment someone tries calling me, my SMS will not be sent and the call takes priority. During calls, SMS is not an issue.
    While active Data in EVDO, active data sessions get put on hold for an incoming calls, on 1x Sprint will send calls directly to voicemail. When I was doing 1x data on Verizon until a few months ago, incoming calls would go directly to voicemail during an active data session, but now active 1x data sessions get put on hold for incoming calls.

21. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    That is not the reason why incoming calls during active data sessions will place the data session on hold and give the incoming call priority.

22. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    This has nothing to do with the frequency. 1x data is on 800 mhz just like voice calls and active data sessions will be placed on hold for an incoming call. So good for Verizon either way because they found a "fix."

23. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    so the phones use 1900 and 800 MhZ at the same time??? thats weird........

but Andy are you suggesting that if I'm actively using data and someone calls me the tower ends the data session and puts the call through cuz thst never happened to me ever

24. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    This may be true, but that doesn't mean SMS works flawlessly and isn't affected by capacity. Sprint's network here has problems even with text messages! Just today, I had 3 bars on Sprint, so it wasn't like I was on the fringe of coverage or something. I couldn't send my message for 10 minutes. I finally switched to Roaming Only and it sent on Verizon right away. I hope Sprint is going to take measures to get the capacity up to par here.

25. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Has it always been this way or is it something new? It's the CDMA vendors who come up with the fixes not the carriers. So it doesn't make sense that they would give Verizon a fix without giving the same fix to Sprint. From what I hear the CDMA carrier's all use the same platforms.

Actually I'm not sure I'd want to have a data session get put on hold for an incoming call anyway. If you're doing something important like sending an e-mail couldn't that potentially screw things up?

26. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    No if you are on a data session and data activity is going on you cannot receive any calls. If someone attempts to call you the call will go directly to voice mail. An incoming call cannot override data activity.

27. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Another weakness of CDMA they don't tell you about. T-Mobile customers can send and receive picture messages and perform other data transfer regardless of call activity. :rolleyes:

28. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Well each technology has it's advantages and disadvantages. I doubt T-Mobile has internet speeds as fast as Sprint's EV-DO.

29. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The one exception I know of (with Sprint) is on the BlackBerry. When I am tethering and actively using data, if a call comes in, my data session is placed on hold and I do receive the calls.

30. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Hmm interesting. I wonder why only that phone? Then maybe it's phone dependent and not a CDMA thing...