Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Improving service

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by dreamwar, Aug 24, 2006.

  1. dreamwar

    dreamwar New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Does anyone know when Nextel is planing on improving the service for Southern Hillsdale county in MI? My company would like to tell centennial to shove it, but nextel's are unreliable in the Reading area and we need to have good coverage there. Any info would be great thanks:browani:
     
  2. COtech

    COtech Bronze Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2002
    Messages:
    1,043
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Memphis, TN
    My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    You'd like to leave Centennial, and are looking at Nextel. Don't forget to look at Alltel also.

    COtech
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SmArTeStChIlD421

    SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2006
    Messages:
    3,869
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Reading, PA
    My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    please note that there is talk about removing the Nextel Nationwide iDEN network for the Sprint PCS CDMA network.......this is slated to begin some time after 2010 i think but there are so many rumors going around and there is so much money involved for Sprint that they might keep it running for all i know
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. TelcomJunkie

    TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2006
    Messages:
    1,355
    Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    151
    Likes Received:
    20
    Location:
    The 4145
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    That's incorrect and based off rumors many months old. Sprint Nextel has stated numerous times that the iDen network will continue to run and be improved until at least 2012.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. SmArTeStChIlD421

    SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2006
    Messages:
    3,869
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Reading, PA
    My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    and who told you that and where did you see it because i won't believe you unless your "source" works for Sprint Nextel.....

    check it out: im sure you must have read this:

    well.....

    they used to have a Merger FAQ page and i know for a fact that it said the iDEN would run through 2010 not 2012
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. TelcomJunkie

    TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2006
    Messages:
    1,355
    Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    151
    Likes Received:
    20
    Location:
    The 4145
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    If you're going to use that please refrain from making any posts unless you have documented information to back it up. A significant number of your posts involve rumors posted as the gospel.

    A memo sent to Sprint Nextel employees stated the following..

    Code:
    Sprint Nextel Plans to Continue Investment in iDEN
    
    Sprint Nextel is confident that the Nextel National Network has strategic value and remains an important asset
     to its business. Evidence of the importance of the iDEN network is provided by an industry-leading 16.5M
     users, who made over 100 billion direct connect calls in 2005.
    
    In 2006, Sprint Nextel will spend more than $2 billion on capital improvements to the Nextel National Network. 
    Plans are in place to add more than 2,000 new cell sites in 2006 to the Nextel National Network, enhancing 
    network quality and capacity across the country, with hundreds of additional sites built through 2008.
    
    The Nextel National Network will continue to serve customers and have a prominent place in Sprint for
     years to come--at least until 2012 and likely beyond.
    Take it as you want.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. SmArTeStChIlD421

    SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2006
    Messages:
    3,869
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Reading, PA
    My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well at least i know it is reliable......and if you don't like the rumors being spread then do something about it instead of telling me that im so uninformed try maybe to straighten it out.....i did make a Sprint/Nextel Tower Merger thread in the Nextel forum......post your info there and maybe we can get the facts straight cuz i know some people are saying that they will take down the Nextel towers and replace them with Sprint ones......some are saying that they will simply add CDMA equipment to the area......its all very muddled and if you know this much you should try and straighten it out because a lot of what goes around this site is rumors and i admit that some of the stuff i say might be bull but its only because i believe it to be true......if their isn't anything more solid to say then ill just say what i know

    don't criticize me because what i say is all wrong.....its rumors.....it may be wrong but im just saying what i heard...

    and i wasn't lying Sprint did have a merger FAQ on their site and it said 2010

    maybe they changed their mind
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. TelcomJunkie

    TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2006
    Messages:
    1,355
    Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    151
    Likes Received:
    20
    Location:
    The 4145
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    I'm not criticizing you but rumors are just that and if you want to get ____y over believing others when what you're posting is rumors don't be offended when you're incorrect. If I post something I know to be a rumor I make it very clear that's only rumor and not factual. If you what you know is a rumor and you're unclear on that rumors origin it's best not to post it. Some that read this forum might interpret it as fact. I never called you a liar, I just said your information was incorrect I didn't say you were doing it intentionally. SprintNextel was saying 2010 for a while but switched to 2012 in releases to employees and investors.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. SmArTeStChIlD421

    SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2006
    Messages:
    3,869
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Reading, PA
    My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    but what i said was not a rumore but rather something i got off that site.......the Merger FAQ did say 2010.....that wasn't just random gossip.......i knew that to be true because that's what was on the website until recently......they removed the merger FAQs......some of the stuff i say may be rumors but if you don't like it then correct it don't insult because i don't know everything you do......the change of date from 2010 to 2012 was not made known to the general public but rather to the Sprint employees and therefor i didn't know

    and if you want to criticize my lack of knowledge instead of correcting me i would say that your getting a little ____y yourself


    not to be mean or insulting but i would rather be informed than reprimanded because im not telling the absolute truth on a public commercial forum
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. TelcomJunkie

    TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2006
    Messages:
    1,355
    Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    151
    Likes Received:
    20
    Location:
    The 4145
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    I haven't and won't criticize your knowledge I simply said that you were incorrect on that statement. All I asked was for you to post rumors as such. Never was there an intended insult towards you.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. SmArTeStChIlD421

    SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2006
    Messages:
    3,869
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Reading, PA
    My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    except that you called me ____y.......but your understood ill remember that in the future
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. M in LA

    M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2004
    Messages:
    8,053
    Likes Received:
    347
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    smartestchild, you are a fairly new member, and, as you stated in the locked thread (that got you banned recently), you are 15 years old. Your reactive posts convey a lack of maturity. This is not a forum for statements like this:

    Those of us that have been here a while understand that you need to be mindful of what you say. You make a statement or comment, expect a response. You WILL have people disagree with you, and they may have the knowledge, age, and experience to back it up. This may be an "open" forum, but it is also a site where the Moderators truly moderate.

    If this was the only thread with a reactive remark from you, it would be one thing, unfortunately, this has happened repeatedly. It got you a banned once and it could get you banned again, only next time it could be permanent.

    Now can we please get back to the topic at hand?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. bobolito

    bobolito Diamond Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2002
    Messages:
    12,735
    Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    50
    Likes Received:
    53
    Location:
    in front of my computer
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Ok guys, lesson learned, let's get back on topic.

    One thing I see is that Sprint and Nextel networks will never merge. That's because they technically CANNOT be merged! So I expect to see Sprint invest in IDEN as long as there are customers using it. They will find some way in the future to phase it out by replacing it with some other technology that allows them to have only one network. But to merge the current networks, I just don't see that happening. They can always put CDMA and IDEN together on the same tower, but that is not a network merger. That's just two systems running in parallel. But by 2012, who knows what Sprint will be running?

    Now, that 2012 deadline makes me wonder which technology will survive longer, Analog or IDEN?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. TelcomJunkie

    TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2006
    Messages:
    1,355
    Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    151
    Likes Received:
    20
    Location:
    The 4145
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    It's not a deadline, they're not required to keep it running to a certain date nor are they being forced to shut it off. Nextel is still a very profitable arm of Sprint and like I've said before as long as it's still profitable it will still run.

    As for analog it's becoming a loosing situation for the carriers. They want the spectrum that's tied up by analog and they'd rather not support the legacy equipment. The more users they get onto 100% digital the better chance of those users spending even more money for additional features. The FCC has tacked a date onto them as to when they can shut down analog and I guarantee it that as soon as that date arrives you'll find analog disappearing. They may let it run till it breaks and then remove it or they just may rip it out and reuse the frequencies. Time will tell that one.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. M in LA

    M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2004
    Messages:
    8,053
    Likes Received:
    347
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    What concerns me is a viable Sprint CDMA-alternative PTT platform. Despite Nextel's network issues, their Direct Connect service is second to none. IMO, no other carrier's PTT offerings come close to Nextel.

    Can it really replace Nextel's iDEN Direct Connect??
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. SmArTeStChIlD421

    SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2006
    Messages:
    3,869
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Reading, PA
    My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well there was another thread mentioning Qualcomm's QChat product........i would think that Sprint would try to ugrade their Readylink because QChat isn't server-based and is very similar to Nextel's Direct Connect.....am I correct on this?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. jrip

    jrip Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2004
    Messages:
    328
    Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    W.Michigan
    My Phone:
    Sanyo MM-7400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint,Boost
    Pretty close, but close is as close as it gets for now. Qchat worked out pretty darn well in the labs, so as soon as the rev A. network is up and running, Qchat will be also. Also one thing I need to point out is that if the iDEN network turns out to be more profitable than the CDMA network, CDMA will get the boot. I know as of right now the CDMA network is expected to be the long term network. But when the WiMax network is launched, using Motorola's iDEN/WiMax handsets announced a short time ago, the tables just may turn on CDMA. More efficient or not, if iDEN hauls in more cash than CDMA, then then it will be the iDEN network that gets the nod. And the CDMA network that gets it in the other end.
     
  18. SmArTeStChIlD421

    SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2006
    Messages:
    3,869
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Reading, PA
    My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i never really thought about it before.......i just figured that they would boot iDEN because there wouldn't be any roaming partners.....SPrint has established a pretty good footprint with their roaming agreements and I figured that they would keep using Sprint just because it has better coverage than Nextel......and I thought the WiMax was with the CDMA......this is new to me.......guess I was wrong......thanx for this jrip
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. TelcomJunkie

    TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2006
    Messages:
    1,355
    Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    151
    Likes Received:
    20
    Location:
    The 4145
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    The WiMax deployment is going to be on 2.5ghz. It will be using some Motorola (and Intel and Samsung) gear but it's not directly tied to either iDen or CDMA. I've been told dual mode handsets will be available for both iDen and CDMA. In addition to the Samsung cards for laptops.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. SmArTeStChIlD421

    SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2006
    Messages:
    3,869
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Reading, PA
    My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yes they have not yet introduced the new Motorola ic580 i think it is.......sorry but i don't quite remember the model number.....can we get a little helpe in here?........anyway the WiMax is goin to be its own little platform next to CDMA and iDEN.....the dualmode that i just told you about definitely does not have this......the reviews said that it doesn't have any pretty bells and whistles.....its just like a Nextel phone too......very ruggedized.......now isn't 2.5GHz the same frequency that some household handsets use? or is that 2.4.......
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page

Copyright 1997-2022 Wireless Advisor™, LLC. All rights reserved. All registered and unregistered trademarks are the property of their respective holders.
WirelessAdvisor.com is not associated by ownership or membership with any cellular, PCS or wireless service provider companies and is not meant to be an endorsement of any company or service. Some links on these pages may be paid advertising or paid affiliate programs.

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice