Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Import Contacts to HTC DROID ERIS

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by marksgirl, Dec 21, 2009.

1. marksgirl

marksgirl New Member

My Phone:
    LG DARE (THANKS M. MIKE)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    :O
    Hi All,
    It has been a while. But I have come to the smartest people I know to help my daughter who went and bought herself one of the new Verizon HTC Droid ERIS. Great deal at wirefly I think $9.99. Her and my grandson got one. The reason she switched was she originally was with Sprint and couldn't get a signal at my house {they are staying with me because my son-in-law is on orders, Air Force, overseas}. So they moved to Verizon and got the "new toys". Well my grandson was able to hand out his contacts in because he has so few, but my daughter has 100's because of her job and they include numbers-home & work,emails-the same- impossible to do by hand.
    Her old phone is a Samsung Rant. So........ how does she get her contacts from her Sprint Samsung Rant to her Verizon HTC Droid ERIS? She already tried bluetooth and it did not work.
    OK my little geniuses don't let me down. I told her that I was a member (by default of course) of a site that had the smartest people I know about this stuff and if there was an answer you people out there would have it. You know who you are. So my fingers are crossed and I am hoping you are all in the holiday mood and willing to share. Thanks.

#1 marksgirl, Dec 21, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. Stupiud

Stupiud Yea, I can hear you now!

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    A vzw store has a device called a cellebrite (sp) that will allow them to transfer the data... they may charge you tho...

3. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Welcome back!

One way you can try is using the contact management option of the My Verizon site. Normally there's a charge for the contact Backup Assistant service, but if you are a My Verizon user, the service fee is waived.

You might want to contact Verizon CS and inquire more about this option (as I know nothing more about it than what I see on the site). I recommend this because you're on a family plan and I don't know how the Backup Assistant works with family plans.

When on My Verizon, it's under the "My Services tab (should be the middle one among the 5 tabs), then under "My Contacts". It takes you to another Verizon site where it details what it is and how it works.

This is the only way I can think of to get the contacts moved versus manually moving one at a time, which can take forever...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

Backup assistant won't work here because:

1. They were using a phone on SPRINT, not VZW, so backup assistant is out of the question, and...
    2. Smartphones can't use Backup Assistant.

A store "may" be able to do the transfer, if they have the equipment and if it is compatable with a non vzw device (good luck there). A charge may likely be applied, but maybe not.

Otherwise numbers and names she will be a-typin'.

5. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Yep, I missed the "Sprint" part...:O

And I just got off the phone with CS and got more information on Backup Assistant, including how it is not compatible with smartphones.

Thanks for the clarification (again...:)).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Stupiud

Stupiud Yea, I can hear you now!

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Well once the OP gets all the contacts in there will be no use for backup assistant ever again!

7. Buickman

Buickman Gearhead/Gadget freak

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
    I'm not familiar with the Samsung Rant, but if there is a way that you can you can get the contacts out of it in the form of a .CSV file then you can import those into the Gmail account that the Eris is synced to. If Sprint had anything like VZW's backup assistant then you could probably export the contacts out of that. I need a Spint expert to chime in on that end of things.

8. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    There is something your daughter can do to make it a little easier on herself. Go ahead and sign up for My Verizon, add the Backup assistant on your phone. Get the account setup so your daughter can manually input information into her number's profile on My Verizon. Since BA is not available on smartphones like her Eris, follow the suggestion/link below how to make it work. There is no monthly charge for BA with My Verizon setup. There is also NO data charge for downloading the application to your phone. If you see a charge (if you're on the per-use data option like me), simply call CS and they'll take care of it. This is what I was told by the rep I spoke to. CS can also help you out if you run into any setup issues.

There is an option to save the contacts as a CSV file (compatible with Excel) where she can import her information to a Google Mail account (if she doesn't have one, have her sign up for a G-Mail account. If she needs an invite, let me know, I have a ton to give away). She can then open that CSV file and save it to her G-Mail account contacts. When she syncs her phone with G-Mail, everything will be transferred to her Eris.

There is a more detailed description of what I just suggested on VZ's Backup Assistant site specific for Android phones (along with other descriptions for Windows Mobile phones and Blackberry's). Here are the links to the different transfer options:

How to Transfer contacts from your phone to your Droid device

How to Transfer contacts from your phone to your BlackBerry device

How to Transfer contacts from your phone to your Windows Mobile device

How to Transfer contacts from your old phone to your new phone

9. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I second this notion. Also if by chance you have a data cable for the Rant you can try the program Bitpim. BitPim I am not 100% sure whether bitpim will work with the Rant but you can give it a try.

10. crood

crood Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Moment
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Does she have her contacts in Outlook? If so, she can export them to a CSV and import them into Gmail. She'll have to set up a gmail account if she doesn't have one and configure Gmail on her phone.

If she wants to sync Outlook and the phone regularly, she can do the following. It's a little complicated, but it works.

Get a gmail account
    Configure the phone for Gmail
    Go to http://www.soocial.com and create an accout there. Configure it for Outlook and Gmail.
    Download the Soocial sync app for Outlook

This will keep Outlook, Gmail, and the phone in sync. One thing to note, Outlook contacts will be displayed as Last, First after synching with Soocial.

Google does have a free tool to synch the Gmail and Outlook directly, but the Contact synch is only available to corporate customers.

11. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

If you set up a sync with Google Sync it should work.

12. crood

crood Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Moment
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Google Sync won't get the contacts off the Samsung Rant, which is the problem.

The solutions I offered will only work if she were already synching with Outlook. Google doesn't have free sync tool for Contacts from Outlook. Only Calendar sync is free. You need to be a Google Apps customer to be able to sync Contacts.

Another option, if she was using Sprint Mobile Sync and can still log in (I can still log into the Verizon account I closed in November). She can export to her contacts to a .csv from there and import them into GMail.