Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

I’m wondering.

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by bartelsse, Aug 9, 2007.

1. bartelsse

bartelsse Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Tour 9630
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I signed up for Alltel right around September 25th of 2005 and I want to know if I have to wait till November to switch providers? Alltel has great coverage and service they do not offer what I’m looking for that being the most up to date phones & plans.

2. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

Why would you have to wait until November? If you signed up in Sep 2005, and took what most people take - a two year contract - then your time is up in September of this year. Not NOVEMBER, bot SEPTEMBER.

Be careful of switching providers. I think you'll find the grass isn't greener, just a different shade of green.

3. bartelsse

bartelsse Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Tour 9630
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Even if it were towards the end of the month like the 25th?

4. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    A two year agreement means two years from the date, so you should be able to switch without paying an Early Termination Fee on September 26th. Probably September 25th would be alright, but to be safe, September 26th or 27th is the earliest I would consider switching.

But I also think you should re-examine the alltel phones and plans in comparison to whomever you plan on switching to. I don't think you'll beat the alltel plans unless you go with a small, regional provider that doesn't have a good phone selection at all. And alltel's phone selection has really improved lately, but no matter what phone you get, it'll be out of date compared to the newest, latest, and greatest in the next six months. But in the end, I do hope you get a phone and plan that will make you happy since you will be the one paying the bill and using the phone and service over the next two years.

5. bartelsse

bartelsse Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Tour 9630
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    The other reason I'm wanting or considering switching is that I'm wanting to do a little more traveling around this beautiful country as well as possibly venture up into Canada were I have done some research and Alltel is mainly in the southern states and a few other states.

6. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    If it does make you feel more secure, here is the alltel national license map, showing all areas they cover natively: Alltel Coverage

It ends up being America's Largest Network ... geography wise. But there really shouldn't be any problems free roaming if you go to an area not covered as there are voice and data roaming agreements with Sprint, Verizon, etc.. in LA or NY. It won't cost you extra and voice and data should still work. It's the same with other provider's. Contrary to Verizon's advertising as America's Most Reliable, there are still many areas where Verizon does not cover or sell service and roams off of Alltel and other providers. To think that Verizon's coverage is coast to coast, is just getting caught up in the advertising. All providers roam off of each other in different areas.

One big thing though, if you *may* be going to Canada, is that Verizon and Alltel are the only two providers that I'm aware of that have North American Freedom Plans/North America's Choice Plan that include Canada and Mexico. But with Verizon, plan changes require a contract extension which is not the case with Alltel. So a switch to Verizon may end up locking in for a number of years. And the North American plans really restrict minutes, but Alltel still has My Circle if you're on a North American plan and still in the States.

Again, if you feel more comfortable or secure going elsewhere, it is definitely your decision. I'm not an employee or affiliated with alltel in any way. But I think you may just be trading one company's shortcomings for another and be paying more for it so it's good to consider all the information.

7. bartelsse

bartelsse Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Tour 9630
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Oh thank you I forgot about all that

8. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    :uppoint: Your response was hilarious, I'm imagining you meaning that sarcastically though. But I have that warped, dry sense of humor. ;)

9. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Well, you can switch as soon as your contract date ends. But with the plans they got what you are looking for I believe, in fact they offer more then most. Phones they have less selection overall but still carry the good ones. As far as canada you can temporarily change to a North American freedom plan for a month while there, and use your phone there without a problem. In the US you can free-roam on USCC, sprint, verizon, and various other smaller carriers with a national freedom plan.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...