Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Identifying current tower

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by Trocks797, May 12, 2010.

1. Trocks797

Trocks797 New Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola DROID
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Hello! I have seen places on sites where people said "I know its a low-powered tower because my phone switched to another tower" or something along those lines. My question is: how do I know which tower my phone is currently connected to? Even if its just a code, it would be nice to when the tower I am connected to has changed. I have a Motorola droid. any help on this?

Thanks guys.
    Tyler

2. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    You need to have some kind of app that can show you your cellular network parameters. For CDMA (Verizon, Sprint) you need to look at the BID (Base Statiion ID) that's a unique identifier for the tower you are connected to.

The full "Global Cell ID" for CDMA that identifies you globally is: MCC-MNC-SID-BID
    MCC= Mobile COuntry code (is 310 or 311 for the USA)
    MNC= Mobile Network Code (a number identifying Verizon's network, 004 or 012 I think for Verizon)
    SID= System ID (a smaller area inside Verizons network, maybe a city or state for example)
    BID= Base Station ID (a unique tower inside that SID)

If you put all these numbers together, it's a unique ID that can show what Country, Network, Area and tower you are on. For GSM/UMTS (AT&T, T-Mobile) it's almost the same, except instead of SID-BID it's LAC-CID, which is basically the same thing. Google Maps uses this to position you (roughly) if you don't have access to GPS.

You can look at the website I made Cellumap Cellular Coverage Maps and you can view cell info by LAC/SID and CID/BID. Anyone can view the web-page, but if you want to use the app on your phone to send data, you need a Symbian or BlackBerry phone (but I'll make an Android app by the end of the summer, hopefully)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  3. Trocks797

Trocks797 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola DROID
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless

Thank you. I found a program for Android that is called Cellfinder but its pretty much useless. It just shows the MCC and MNC which tells me I am in America and on Verizons network...grrrrreat lol. I cant wait for your Android version. The site looks nice! If I knew how to thank you, I would lol.

4. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    if you open Google Maps, in the menu go to "More" -> "About" and scrolll down and look for a line that starts with "myl" (that's my location) it should be followed by 4 sets of numbers, (ex: 310:12:123:4567), that should be your MCC:MNC:SID:BID

You can thank me by running Cellumap on your phone when I have it ready for Android :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Trocks797

Trocks797 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola DROID
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I will be your first downloader! Anyway I went to maps and saw this: 310:65:5:1011. I wish I could plot this on your map. I know exactly which tower I am on. It is one of the only fully-owned Verizon towers in Louisville. Most others are owned by Crown Castle. Anyway it only has Verizon on it and AT&T and T-Mobile have terrible service around me so I am sure they would love to shack up on this tower but I guess Verizon is being lame and saying no! Take that iPhone lol

Thanks!