Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

i580 Review

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by Medic7, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Medic7

Medic7 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola i580
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Well I did it! Got a brand spakin new i580 phone! Let me say this is THEE phone for those who want a good rugged phone that is truly rubber, yet has a camera!

The casing is just like the i530 (the first rugged phone), but there is a camera, and the speaker is on the INSIDE of the phone....double speakers!

But the outside of the phone, ALL of it is a hard rubber! Even the case that comes off for the battery! And the case, fits in secure for the battery. Doesn't wiggle like the i560 backing did.

The BUTTONS are a made of a hard rubber! And inbetween the buttons is a rubber plastic so to avoid dust getting between them or water. The screen is much larger than the i560.

The case over the charger connector is like the i530, more secure. Not like the i560 which is flimsy and I always had problems opening and closing it.

Weight, it's rather light considering everything it has and all the rubber. It's much lighter than the i530, doesn't have that "brick" feeling like the i530 does.

Cons:
    You won't be able to use any of your batteries from any of the other phones. These are smaller batteries and using the old ones, the back of the phone will not fit. And no, I'm not using hi-cap batteries.

Another tidbit is to purchase it on Ebay (as I did). It's much cheaper (buying it outright through Nextel is over six hundred dollars), no contract required, nor are there any connect charges.

The phone is expensive (I paid just under four hundred dollars with shipping included). But if you're looking for a rugged flip camera phone, that will last, I'd say to save up, get it for a gift for yourself or request it as a gift.

Nextel and Motorolla have a winner here!

2. theevilapostate

theevilapostate New Member

Did you notice the top of the flip had movement or some play in it when closed?

3. Medic7

Medic7 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola i580
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    No. When it closes, it's closed. Really cannot slide it at all or move it around when closed or open!

I will suggest that if you just got it, I'd say to return it if you're not happey or it really bothers you (I would) for that price. IMHO when I get something expensive, I want it to fullfill all of my little fusses and all.

Let me know how you make out.

4. GopherWireless

GopherWireless Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 7520
    Wireless Provider(s):
    NEXTEL, T-Mobile
    Actually my cost on these is $429.99, which is the same cost you get with no contract. $279.99 with a two-year contract. I have a lot of customoers with the i530 from last year and the i560 has been a hot seller this year. Unless you REALLY want a rugged camera phone, I'd get the i560. Cost on that one is $299.99 and $99.99 with a 2-year contract.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. GopherWireless

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 7520
    Wireless Provider(s):
    NEXTEL, T-Mobile
    How many of you are using this phone?

How many of you think that the i560 is good enough and aren't willing to shell out more money for the camera?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jrip

jrip Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Sanyo MM-7400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint,Boost
    I have the i580 and love it. There is not any thing I cant do with it that I could not do with my MM-7400, aside from watch live TV on it. I have absolutely no problems with mine, and because of the build quality of the i580, I don't expect to either. Oh and the camera on this phone is pretty darn good for a 1.3mp camera.

7. rambrush

rambrush New Member

My Phone:
    I-580 Personal use
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    I use the 560 for work and the 580 for personal use. The 560 feels kinda cheap after handling the 580 not the weight or bulk there.
    The 580 I can use blue tooth headset the 560 not.
    Course the mp3 in the 580 I thought wa going to work good but so far the cds sound choppy.

8. GopherWireless

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 7520
    Wireless Provider(s):
    NEXTEL, T-Mobile
  9. Medic7

Medic7 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola i580
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Don't forget, you could purchase the I580 at a much lower price (New In Box) and without Nextel sticking you with extending your contract.

My only question (now that I have the i580) is how long will it take for the new Sprint/Nextel to make a rugged i580 that works on both systems?

10. Medic7

Medic7 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola i580
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Very nice! You should write!