Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

I want a new phone help me choose one!

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by DarkKnight, Apr 23, 2004.

1. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I want a new phone help me choose which one!

Hello everyone,

this is my first post this forum, looks great[​IMG] I need some help picking a new phone I currently am having problems with my 3589i problems include sound quality e.g. callers voice drops off after talking for about 5 minutes
    2. My phone is not ringing when people call & calls go straight to voice mail this does not happen really often but it happens enough to be annoying.

anyway onto my question
    what phone would you guys/gals recommend the LG VX 4500, 4600, 6000 or V60S I am looking for a durable easy to use & navigate phone with good stand by & talk time & good reception I am looking to spend less then $100. I do not need a Camerea, but I could live with one. Are there going to be any major Dead spots in Northren Colorado & the front range if I get an all digital phone? this is going to be my first flip phone & one of my biggist worries about using a flip style phone over a candy bar style is that I may snap the flip off the phone. or should I just scrap all this and get a new 3589i. I contaced CS & they told me to take the phone to raidoshack to see if there was anything wrong with the phone, the rep said no. So it looks like if I want a new phone I'll need to buy one.

sorry for being do long winded & thanks for reading this

2. kjmattson

kjmattson Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    The LG VX6000 would be a very solid choice.

3. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    thanks kjmattson,

I'll give the 6000 a closer look [​IMG]

4. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The 6k is all digital, if you need analog and if going by the ones mentioned above then go with the
    v60s.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I was looking at a picture in the manual for my phone it had a D in the upper left hand corner of the display mine has a 1X with a square next to it does this mean the phone is in analog mode because I don’t ever remember seeing the D like in the picture[​IMG]

Thanks

DK

6. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    that's still means digital, it just means that it's in 1x digital mode which serves for faster data and improved voice network capacity and also allows more people to use each tower at the same time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Ok thanks for the info,

I don’t think my phone has ever left this mode so it sounds like I should be ok with an all-digital phone in the areas that I go. Would you guys recommend any phones besides the ones I listed based on the criteria before. I also have fairly long fingers and medium to large sized hands for a key so I need a keypad that is well spaced out

Thanks again for all of the help [​IMG]

8. xikle

xikle For rent: inquire below

My Phone:
    BB Curve
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Moble
    About the only problem with having an all digital phone in Colorado is if you go in the mountains, you will probably loose service. I'm happy with the V60S that I have, it's gotten signal where some of my previous phones haven't. The only thing I don't really like about it is that the battery life is somewhat lacking IMO. The call quality and reception is great. The phone is sturdy. If you travel up in the mountains I would recommend a tri-mode, if you are staying mostly in the metro areas and on well traveled roads you would probably be fine with a all digital phone. I've used the Samsung A530 around southern Colorado and didn't have a problem with not having signal. If you like bar phones you might try a different 3589i.

9. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    xikle,

Thanks, so you think the V60S is a good phone? almost every user review I have read says that the V60S is a phone to avoid, have you had any issues with your Antenna breaking off or the phone not ringing & going straight to VM . My sisters boyfriend has a V60 with ATTWS and he has had problems with reception & he has broken like 3 antenna’s I am sure the former problem is most likely do to his provider but the Antenna issue has me a little concerned. my sister advised me against the phone, because she says that I can be rough on phones, but you did say the phone was sturdy. [​IMG] I guess for $30 I couldn’t go wrong I may have to give it a closer look.

10. xikle

My Phone:
    BB Curve
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Moble
    The antenna on the phone is a stubby and quite sturdy. I think the V60S is a good "basic" phone, it doesn't have the frills like a color screen, or camera, but it works very well as a phone. I haven't had a problem with missed calls. That is a known issue with the phone and there is a work around to keep the phone from going into silent when it shouldn't. The earlier versions of the V60 series had flimsier antennas. It would be possible to break the antenna on the V60S, but you would have to work on it more then the earlier ones. I switched from a Samsung 530 to the moto and am happy with the phone. One thing I like about it is the metal housing gives it a sturdier feel, at least to me. Another thing that I like about it is that I can make a call with the flip closed if I'm using a headset. From what I've read most people don't like it because the V60 series has been around since sometime in the late 90's IIRC. To me it feels about as sturdy as the old Nokia 3285 I used to use. I'd say go to a store and play around with it, and see if you think it would work for your needs.

11. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the great info I’ll have to give the V60S a look it sounds like it has everything that I would want or need. Thanks again for all of your advice this forum rocks [​IMG] the V60 sounds like it is right in my price range.

I'll keep everyone posted.

12. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Just an update

I went to raidoshack & cartoys & looked at the LG VX600 & the V60S & I found that the menu system on the 6K to be more intuitive & easier to use then the V60S. Maybe I am just to used to the nokia menu system[​IMG] I am now trying to decide between the 6K & the 4600 I went to phone scoop & compared the phones & the look very similar minus a camera on the 4600. Does anyone know of any real word differences? What does one phone have over the other besides a camera any cool features on one vs the other?

Thanks for all of the great info so far & I stay in metro areas the mojority of the time.

13. xikle

My Phone:
    BB Curve
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Moble
    V60S:

Speaker phone
    ringtone composer
    changeable faceplates
    $40 cheaper
    assignable ringers (don't know if the LG has this or not)

LG 4600:
    color screen
    newer
    all digital
    GIN (get it now)
    Bigger screen
    longer talk time (estimated)

Either one looks like a good phone. I've never used a LG though, so I can't say anything about build quality

14. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    xikle

Thanks allot this is just the kind of info I was looking for. I Really want a speaker phone [​IMG] so I guess I will have to give the V60S & 6K another look I would wait for a new model to come out but I am a poor college student with no job so I need the most bang for my buck

Thanks again

P.S. how will does the speaker phone work on the V60S while driving?

15. xikle

My Phone:
    BB Curve
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Moble
    I know the feeling. [​IMG]

The one time I used the speaker phone while driving it seemed to work. The speaker was a little quite even though I had it turned up almost all the way, but it was a windy day and so there was a lot of road and wind noise. If I get a chance I'll try it tomorrow and let you know.

16. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thanks a bunch, the info you & others have given has proven to be very valuable

17. xikle

My Phone:
    BB Curve
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Moble
    Ok. I tried the speakerphone while driving about 60 on I-25. The phone works pretty well, it did seem to cut out just a little while it was clipped to the visor. when I had it set on the console next to me it worked a lot better, I think that is because it wasn't near a window. Based on that info I would say that it would work well while driving as long as you keep it low in the vehicle. This was done in a 96 Grand Cherokee.

18. xikle

My Phone:
    BB Curve
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Moble
    One thing I forgot to mention is that voice dial doesn't work very well if the phone is clipped to the visor. I was using that and said "apartment" to dial home, the phone said "Dad", which is the voicename for my Dad's cell. The second time I tried it I got "Mom" for my Mom's cell. So you have to speak loud and really clear for voice dialing to work while you're driving.

19. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    xikle,
    Thanks for running the filed test; I'll keep everyone posted on my choice of phones