Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verizon Wireless I thought this would never happen…

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by dmapr, Sep 27, 2017.

1. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    but a couple of weeks ago we switched from AT&T to Verizon Wireless. The primary reason for this was the spotty AT&T coverage at a couple of friends places that I frequent, one of my wife's favorite nearby restaurants and completely non-existent coverage in the place we most often go skiing to. In addition to a better coverage I was pleasantly surprised to find out that VZW supported several of the advanced services (HD Voice equivalent, built-in visual voicemail) on my Nexus 6P. The only one it did not was wireless calling (AT&T supports none of these). Of course since then I was fortunate enough to have my Nexus replaced with a Pixel XL so now all three of them are supported. About the only thing that I discovered so far that was easier to do on AT&T is call forwarding. Oh, and I keep running the SpeedTest and marveling at how often I see double-digits in the results (getting over 5-6 was a great accomplishment on AT&T). So aside from a minor bump in the price I've not seen any major drawbacks so far.

QLR and charlyee like this.
  2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    So except for the coverage problems that cause you to switch, all those features ( HD Voice, Wi-Fi calling, visual voicemail) are supported on your wife’s iPhone. So ATT didn’t support them on the Nexus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Nexus 6P
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    I don't know how Verizon coverage is now, but I did try them out about 10 to 11 years ago, since AT&T had some weak and dead spots in Chicago. What I discovered was Verizon also had some weak and dead spots in Chicago.

The real odd thing I remember about Verizon in downtown Chicago was the higher I went in a high rise, the weaker their signal got, start at about the 15th floor and above. I didn't have that problem with AT&T.

Let us know if you run into any issues.

dmapr likes this.
  4. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    @dmapr, did you fess up at the AT&T forums and leave all your fans in a shock over there?

Similar to palandri’s experience I wasn’t happy to “Evil Red’s coverage when I last tried it. It’s been awhile for me as well so things could have changed.

Good luck with Verizon.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    dmapr likes this.
  5. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    @palandri I may be confusing things but I think I read somewhere about the high buildings problems being inherent to CDMA. In my 2 weeks on VZW I've seen it drop to the CDMA once in one of the AT&T dead spots, the rest of the time it was LTE. I believe the LTE should be functioning the same between VZW & AT&T

@charlyee, I did not :) I'm still a DirecTV subscriber so it's not like I'm a public enemy #1 anyway ;)

To both of you -- my best friend who lives very close and frequents the same spots I do has been with VZW for years and aside from one episode 10+ years ago in the town of Inverness I could never find a spot where my signal would be better than his :)

palandri and charlyee like this.
  6. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Now that you mention it, my experience was definitely in
    the pre LTE days, so things have probably improved.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Gasp.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

charlyee likes this.
  8. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Welcome to Evil Red.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

charlyee and dmapr like this.
  9. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    So far some improvements have been noticed. Sometimes minor, but still.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk