Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

I SAW THE NOKIA 8390 TODAY...

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by Murdoc, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Murdoc

Murdoc Junior Member

I was at an AT&T store, and they had an actual model of it. The phone looks soooo nice! But one problem... it is way too small. It's even smaller than the 8200 series. I don't care, because I have to have it now that I've saw it in real life. They said that it'll be out this month and they don't know how much it'll cost, does anybody know? And is VoiceStream getting this phone?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I work for Wireless Retail who sells VoiceStream and I am 95% sure that VoiceStream is getting this phone. They are currently working out a price on it. You can find some on eBay right now but they are very costly. This phone is going to blow every other phone ever created out of the water. It is Nokia's best yet. I have been waiting for 4 months for it~!

3. Murdoc

Murdoc Junior Member

Right, but if I get one off eBay, do you know if it will work with VStream? The phone is so raw, I've been waiting since December for it. One thing is, I think that it's a little too small though...

4. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
  5. Murdoc

Murdoc Junior Member

Who knows....... I'm about 95.9% satisified with my 3390... I might dress it up and keep it. The 8390 is entirely too small, and I don't know if it is too much more advanced than the 3390. It's just smaller and cuter..... I think. I checked out Nokia's web site, but I think that I can wait.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

According to the ATT Wireless site, it will retail for 199.99, but if you're an existing customer, you may get a discount...

7. Guest

Guest Guest

At this time ATTWS only offers GSM service plans in selected cities. Is it possible to purchase the 8390 from ATTWS and use it in California?

I noticed on the ATTWS web site that there is GSM coverage for ATTWS customers in California (though it looks like it is through another

provider (possibly Cingular Wireless) according to the color on the map). Any answers to this question?????? Thank you.

8. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I just looked at the same map on ATT's website. Yes, you are correct, that is Cingular's GSM network in California and, according to ATT's website, they do have roaming agreements in place so that your ATT GSM phone will work in Calif. Now, if you are a CA resident and plan on trying to get the phone for permanent use as a permanent roamer, I don't think ATT will stand for that. They would lose too much money by having to pay Cingular for ALL your calls.

9. Murdoc

Murdoc Junior Member

What if I had an AT&T Nokia 8390 and I put my VoiceStream SIM card in the phone... would it work? [​IMG]

10. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Murdoc,

It think that was the original intent of the SIM card idea. Unfortunately, from what I've read elsewhere, the carriers, using lock codes, have managed to keep the phone "loyal" to their own network. But I've only used Cingular GSM and had no other competing carrier to try this with. Once ATT deploys their GSM here, I'll try swapping the SIMs between ATT & Cingular phones.

For yourself, go to an ATT store selling GSM (if it is in your area) and try the same test on one of their machines.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

At this time ATTWS only offers GSM service plans in selected cities. Is it possible to purchase the 8390 from ATTWS and use it in California?

12. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    << At this time ATTWS only offers GSM service plans in selected cities. Is it possible to purchase the 8390 from ATTWS and use it in California? >>

If you mean by it from ATT and use it with another provider (i.e. VoiceStream or Cingular), then the answer is no. If bought from ATT the phone would be locked to ATT service.

You would have to purchase an unclocked phone from another place, like eBay, and swap your existing SIM card.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

I just got off the phone with ATTWS Customer Service. I was told that since "GSM Calling Plans" are not offered in my zip code (91360-east ventura county) then I would not be able to obtain service. Though I am still interested in purchasing the Nokia 8390.

My question: If the phone was purchased in another city (ex: Seattle where "GSM Calling Plans" are offered) and had the area code for that city along with a billing address for that same city could 100% of the calls be made from California???

To add another point: Accroding to the ATTWS web site, California is not labeled a "roaming" area (due to the color and explanation below). Roaming seems to be only in east Texas from what I see. Any ideas on this??

14. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Well, maps can be confusing, but from what I understood of their map, ATT GSM does have roaming ability in CA. Since the only GSM carrier in CA is Cingular, I would assume that would be who the roaming is with.

Now would ATT tolerate you using your phone so that they lose money by constantly paying the roaming carrier? Once they noticed the pattern, they would probably discontinue the service. Some carriers even have such a written stipulation in their contracts, to wit: "If you roam more than X-percent of the time off-network, we reserve the right to discontinue service."

Instead of trying to find ways around the system, work with it. You are going through a lot of convoluted steps just to get GSM. Cingular's GSM service needs a lot more infrustructure build-out just to meet its own subscribers' needs. If you read posts from Cingular subscribers in the greater Los Angeles areas, you see a lot of people complaining about network-busy signals, dropped calls, inability to make calls.

The grass is NOT greener on the other side of the hill.

Kevin

15. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    << The grass is NOT greener on the other side of the hill. >>

LOL- I like that!

16. Guest

Guest Guest

That is a good point Kevin about the "busy signal" found at times on the Cingular network.

I happened to talk to two different ATTWS store reps and they both said that ATTWS is planning (and we all know "planning" means it may change) on having the California GSM service available in the beginning of AUGUST 2002. I hope this is the case, I would love to use my wireless phone as a modem for my laptop. Thanks to all for your input!