Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

I need help!

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by mikeinkaty, Jun 2, 2012.

1. mikeinkaty

mikeinkaty New Member

I recently built a RV open-sided shed and now have a Jayco RV permanently parked in it.

I also have a security camera that used MMS celluar technology at the site. It is located in the shed outside of the RV.

But.......Cell phone reception is marginal. At the best I can get two bars on my cell phone and on the security camera. At the worst I get zero bars on both and neither will connect. Sundown is the worst time of day.

The shed is in a east-west running valley with a low range of hills about 1/2 mile north with the nearest AT&T (my provider) tower 4 miles north. This tower supports the 4 common frequency bands. On the AT&T coverage map my location shows to be the 3rd best color.

What I am considering is putting an antenna about 25' above ground, From there running to a splitter. The splitter will directly feed the security camera (it has a SMA 0.250" female antenna connector) and will go to the RV to an amplifier then to an indoor ceiling mount antenna.

Questions -
    What antennas? Do I need 850 and/or 1900 MHz? The security camera documentation said it is using those two frequencies but did not say which one did what. It is sending MMS text messages with photo's attached. Our cell phones are not smart phones. We only used them for phone calls and text messaging. If I only need 850 MHz then will a 10dbi Yagi antenna be sufficient? Or will I need a onmi-directional wide band antenna for both frequencies? What is the 1900 MHz used for? It seemed to me that it's purpose was primarily for 3G/4G phones which we don't have.

What amplifier? I have been looking at a Wilson AG SOHO 60 DualBand Amplifier/Repeater.

Cabling - Can I make my own? Are special tools a necessity for attaching the connectors? Are these cables much different than RG TV cables (I have a crimper for that)? Antenna to splitter will need to be about 15'. Splitter to security camera about 30'. Splitter to Amplifier about 25'. Amplifier to indoor antenna about 10'.

And lastly - what is the best place to buy this stuff. For instance, I see internet prices for the above amplifier ranging from $234 to $446.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks
    Mike Taylor
    Katy TX

2. Maximum Signal

Maximum Signal Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon , Sprint , Millenicom
    Call us on Monday , we can go over your situation , To many question and variables to deal with on a forum.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...