Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

I need help to keep my house wireless

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by nsuzanne, Jun 16, 2011.

1. nsuzanne

nsuzanne New Member

I live in the woods and my home has a metal roof.
    I have Verizon Wireless cell phone service and a wireless card with which I operate my internet.
    I have a Cyfre 3G Wireless Broadband Router that at one time helped keep my house wireless and does not now.
    I need help. Is there a different antenna or booster.
    Anyone advice would be appreciated.

2. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    I can think of many useful questions that could use your answers, nsuzzanne.

When did you start using the Cyfre 3G wireless router, and when did it stop working?
    Which model is the Cyfre, and your VZW phone? What antenna does the Cyfre use now, and how much coaxial cable? Is your nearby cell site operating, when you approach it more closely? How far away is the cell site from your home?

What county are you in, and the cell site? Verizon Wireless has 1900 MHz PCS licenses throughout Florida, and added 850 MHz coverage in Gulf coastal Florida with the Alltel purchase.

COtech

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nsuzanne

nsuzanne New Member

Thank you for response.

I started using the Cyfre Model 52LX177 in 2009. It uses whatever antenna came attached with it. The verizon wireless internet card is UM175VW. I had Altell cell phone service until that was switched over but the Card was purchased from V. Wireless directly for my business. The cable that connects to the router is 5'.

I am located in Arcadia, Fl and I don't know where the closest cell site is. I have tried every carrier and V. Wireless is the best service for this area. We are a couple of miles back the woods and there are no direct cable internet connections in this area at this time. The long long phone line connection the only other option I know.

I had a computer man come out and install Cyfre on my computer in the back of the house as I could not get it to work. At that time everyone was able to get internet service.

I had some computer problems about 6 months ago and he came again and changed out my computer in the back of the house and installed Cyfre and Netgear for a connection to it.

We moved the Cyfre router to the front of the house which is now the main computer and ran the cable directly into that computer.

The main computer often doesn't get signal at all using the Cyfre connection and when it does it is not very quick at all. I often have to disconnect from Cyfre (that used to service me on whatever computer I had to work on at the time.)

Now the computer in the back (work computer) doesn't ever get reception, and my laptop sometimes get's the signal in the next room.

I then have to connect the Verizon Wireless card that to whatever computer I am working on directly into whatever computer needs the service the most for the moment.
    It is debilitating for me because I need all of the computers to have online capabilites and each computer is used for completely different businesses or uses.

4. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    You're in luck--I own one of those. I haven't put it into service, but I'm on the edge. My wife the farmer wants to connect at the Farmers' Market. I've obtained a new AT&T Mobility SIM for a Sierra Wireless AirCard 860, and may buy one day's use to activate and try out the combination.

There was a contest nearly three years ago, and the manufacturer's representative MaximumSignal offered one as a prize.

From reading your last message, I believe that you get your best aircard signal at the back of the house, and no aircard signal at the front. The problem is that that the WiFI signal the Cyfre puts out doesn't reach to the front of house, where other computers are. Am I understanding your description of the trouble?

If so, then the Cyfre with aircard installed need to stay at the rear for best data speed to the net. You need to improve the WiFi signal in the front of the house, or use the "LAN" jack in the back of the Cyfre to cable the network to the front of the house. At the other end of the Ethernet cable, you could have a five or eight port Ethernet switch, and then cable to the individual PCs. Other devices, like a Wireless Access Point, could provide a strong WiFi signal in the front of the house. The WAP could take a port on the switch, or distribute a fresh WiFi signal from somewhere in the middle of the house.

You might instead remove the original WiFi antenna from its SME connector, and replace it with a directional WiFi 2.4 GHz antenna aimed toward the front of the house. Something with a wide beam like a Corner Reflector (about 90 degrees wide at the half power 3db points).

You could do both, even.

COtech

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Maximum Signal

Maximum Signal Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon , Sprint , Millenicom
  6. nsuzanne

nsuzanne New Member

Thank you all for you help. I am looking into both options offered above and hopefully I will be up and running soon. You advice is greatly appreciated.