Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

I have switched from Sprint to Nextel

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by AnthroMatt, Jul 6, 2008.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I can remember a friend who had Nextel about 3 or 4 years ago and the SMS was very unreliable. Whether or not a message would be received was like a crap shoot.

2. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Well, after a week with Nextel, I have not dropped or missed a single call at my house, which is already a vast improvement over Sprint.

I am still getting used to the painfully slow data speeds. It's not really an issue when I am at home or work, but might become one when I go out of town and actually want to check email/browse the web more often.

3. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    The iDEN network was never designed with text messaging in mind. The text messaging is really done through a third party application and processed on a totally different gateway on the switching side. It's basically done completely different than all the other cellular providers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Got my bill today...Sprint managed to once again charge me for last month and next month...second month in a row this has happened. Just spent close to an hour on the phone and wasn't even able to get the bill fully striaghtened out. Even the rep was confused, and I can't say I blame him. It was a huge mess. I still think the bill is about $50 too high, but I can't even find where the error is...and it is possible last month my bill was $50 too low, so without being able to find the specific error, I really don't have much of an argument in my favor.

Thank goodness I won't be changing my plan (though I didn't really change my calling plan when I switched to Nextel...just moved one of 4 lines over to iDen) anytime in the near future lol. Whew!

5. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Boy Matt you sure have the worst luck! I don't think I have ever had a single billing error in my 10+ years with Sprint. The only thing I remember happening is they mistakenly charged me a $150 cancellation fee one time when I changed plans. It was of course easily fixed when I called in. But not bad for 10 years!

It seems like once someone's account get's messed up for whatever reason it becomes an ongoing thing in the system. So you have the same people having problems continuously and others never having any problems.

6. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    I think you are right. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some old code stuck somewhere that is just messing up my bill.

7. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I see why the text messages are downloaded... I'm a boost/Nextel newbie LOL

The SMS isn't all that slow in terms of delay... Only slightly longer than most other providers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    The only time I noticed an issue with SMS was when i put my SIM into a different phone for a day. Texts got all messed up that day. As soon as it was back into the phone Sprint "thought" I was using, the issues went away.

9. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Theres a huge delay in nextel sms here, i have a friend with nextel. It takes atleast 15 minutes for a text to go between me (sprint) and her. Texting to ATT Verizon, alltel or sprint however never takes more than 30 seconds.

10. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Just to follow up...I figured out where the additional error was coming from. I took my bill into the store to explain the problem to someone first-hand. The lady helping me set up a top-tier customer service ticket for me yesterday in the store, and this morinng I got a call from customer service and they posted an additional $56.33 credit to my bill, thus fixing the issue.

So, once again, another instance of Sprint screwing up and getting it right, even if it took more effort than I think it should have. All in all though, I was pleased with the service I got in the store yesterday and over the phone today.

For those that are interested...when Sprint transferred my line from CDMA to iDEN they had to place my number on a seasonal plan to do so. When they switched it back to being a shared line, all the lines on my account were assessed proration charges even though only my line should have. These charges were all credited back to me with the exception of the prorated charges for the main line, which was billed about $105 more than it should have been.

All is well that ends well! I will keep my fingers crossed for next month, lol.

11. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hey Matt, welcome to Nextel. ;)

12. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    You're too late! My 2 month experiment ended with the Airave I got last week! ;-)

13. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hey Tony are you tempted to come back to the CDMA side of Sprint? What about that new Razr that's exclusive to Sprint?

14. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Airave, so you gave in? let me know how that works out for you.

LOL...you know i like Moto huh Larry? if i was to go back to CDMA i've probably get the Blackberry, but since work pays for my Nextel i have to stick with it for now, i'm trying to convince them to swith over to Sprint/CDMA but we do use our radio/ptt feature alot so they may not go for the switch.

15. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yep I know if it has the name Motorola on it you just might be interested. lol

16. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    My girlfriend bought it...I would not have forked over the $100 to help Sprint fix their issues. :) She is starting to do a lot of work from home, so she needs decent service at home, and I get the benefit.

17. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Cant' beat that. ;)