Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

I hate USB connectors.

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by viewfly, May 16, 2013.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    An example of how a standard can be so awful.

Rushed this am and just could NOT get that USB side of my Apple cable into the car outlet easily.

Really hate USB of all sizes. Plus they flimsy.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

2. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I certainly agree with the flimsy part, but I think that at the time it was invented it wasn't meant to be used for plugging in and out on a daily basis. I certainly don't unplug and plug in my desktop's USB connections very often.

3. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    There are only two ways to insert an USB. But sometimes it seems like neither works. For years now USB is used for mobile phones. Time to change that standard instead of making it smaller.

Just had to rant.

4. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Type B connector is actually not bad, but it's a lot less popular than the flimsy Type A. Mini & Micro seem fine to me.

5. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I agree that type B is not bad. It's the A type I dislike. Crush it and its gone.

I guess the mini and micro they made unsymmetrical to help with aligning a small connector. However is really doesn't. Now I have to look at both the male and female parts to get it aligned and even then in my kindle, BT and some other devices it doesn't insert smoothly. And just forget it in the dark or dim light like my bed stand.

That committee really needs to rethink the USB. They need a connector that doesn't get bent and that can be inserted positively and in either direction.

6. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    ...oh if only Apple would make a proprietary connector for phones ;)

But seriously, I'm doing fine with USB. I don't really see USB being any better or worse than any other commercial interface plug. HDMI, e-sata, Firewire, etc. But yea, they should have made the A-connector visually asymmetrical. My procedure for plugging an A-connector in goes something like this: try to plug it in, it doesn't fit so I try the other way, still doesn't fit so I try it the other way again and now it fits :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    LOL :D That pretty much sums up my frustrating experience with all USB's. I don't mind the B USB, Sata or Firewire, but also not fond of HDMI either.

Yesterday in the morning, I went through that procedure 2x! It didn't help that the interior of the car was dark too. On the other hand, the Apple Lightning side of the USB connector cable was super easy. :)

8. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I agree, the lightning is pretty easy, but look at what it costs to be double-sided (and no, it's not just Apple price gouging). I don't see that getting sufficient traction to become the new USB standard.

I'm surprised that you have trouble with anything but type A. I routinely plug in my phone in the dark and never have any trouble. On the other hand, I almost never pull the Type A end out of the charger :)

1 person likes this.
  9. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    LOL. Leave it to RR to raise the Apple question. It wasn't my intent for the post to raise the Lightning connector. Yes, it's expensive, but its providing a lot more interaction with the device. Even so a cheap version could be had.

USB's from standard to micro are only 4 or 5 pins. It should be pretty easy to make a double sided design, without flimsy thin metal parts. Although the micro USB are more solid, I agree since there is some 'filler' material inside the metal.

Sorry that I have so much trouble, but I do. It would take me a bit of effort to connect the tiny usb to my JawBone in the dark ;)

10. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    It's as if Nokia was reading your mind VF. Maybe it's time for a Lumia? :browani: You can even get more colors than the Communist, er, Apple approved white and black ;)

Nokia Wireless Charging Shell for Lumia 820 Overview - Nokia

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yeah. But that wouldn't give me all that I want from the connector like audio.

Another solution would be a Duracell wireless Powermat for the iPhone 5 or an S3 just for power.

http://www.duracellpowermat.com/

But that's off topic. :)

I try to do like dmapr and never unplug the USB side. But it's an example of a poor design that is stuck in 'standards'

#11 viewfly, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
  12. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Amazon.com: Motorola H720 Bluetooth Headset - Motorola Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories

Induction charging, Bluetooth audio, wifi. No need for wires :cool:

Strange, Apple doesn't make their own inductive charger? I thought they loved selling add-on stuff like that :headscrat. The Nokia induction charger is actually the shell of the phone, so no added bulk. The Duracell inductive charger attaches over the regular shell adding bulk.

13. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Since I was not aware until this thread that I was supposed to be struggling with Type A USB connection, I never had any trouble but of course today I had go with the procedure of first one way, then the others, back to the original way twice before I could plug my printer in. :D

I do like the ease of plugging in the lightning connector but the charger connection I really like is the one for the MacBooks.

Sent From My Mobile Device Using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  14. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Sigh... :headscrat Again, I don't know what you are talking about RR. Motorola doesn't make a any wireless charging BT device and certainly the H720 link you give is a cable charged (via microUSB) device , and the audio quality for music sucks. Not even stereo. I think the H720 was my first BT device. Regardless, if there was one, it's not too practical for my car, is it?

Maybe research a bit better before giving advice.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you mean the magnetic part of the Apple power connector? Yes, that is nice. It's like the magnet on my fishing net, that fits on the back of my vest. Handy.

15. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Yes the magnet, it is almost like it grabs it from my fingers and orients itself. I was rafter disappointed that my iPad didn't have that connector. Come to think about the iPad 2 connector needs a bit of fiddling to align it.

16. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    That's the 30 pin? Yeah. My ipad Mini has the new lightning. It's nice.

I agree about the mag one.

17. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I meant that generally speaking, a wired connection isn't necessary at all for your phone: wireless charging via induction charger, wireless data via wifi and wireless audio via Bluetooth. :cool:

18. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yeah. Steve Jobs comment on induction charging: the charging pad itself is wired and an accessory that one has to carry around regardless. Unless you have a pad everywhere one is likely to charge a phone. But that would be like having a wired power cable everywhere too. So what's the point?

I don't agree 100% with that view, but it has its practical merits. Especially since all my Apple devices have the easy Lightning connector or the Apple magnetic power cable. It's trivial to power up, even in the pitch black. And, with a USB extension cable I can lie in bed for hours and still have my iPhone or iPad plugged in. Like I'm doing right now. ;)

But back on topic, the wireless pad and BT device would pretty likely have a type A USB connector on the wall side of the power cable, because it has become the power standard.

It's nice that its (USB type A) a standard, it's just a poor one.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

19. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    The point would be you just lay it on the charger and no longer need to fiddle with constant plugging in/out the charging connector to your phone. Put one induction charger at home and one at work, and that would probably cover 90% of your charging needs (like I do now, I don't drag around a USB charger with me everywhere I go). Maybe one day induction charging will become the norm and they'll be found in airports, cafe's, etc. Strange why Steve Jobs didn't see induction charging as the way of the future, as he was always labeled a "visionary" :confused:

20. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I think a lot of manufacturers share your point of view, because I see quite a few chargers that eliminate type A connector. True, you can't swap out USB cables if the other end breaks or if you want to charge something with a micro USB instead of mini and vice versa, but it eliminates the need to fiddle with the type A.

1 person likes this.
  21. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Just a mini rant.

I hate whenever I plug in my Samsung USB and phone cord into my computer, it rarely works. However, if I use an LG, HTC, or Motorola cord, all works FLAWLESSLY! :banghead:

Sent from the Blanco Beast, SCH i605

1 person likes this.
  22. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Quite the contrary. He and Phil Schiller were saying Apple didn't see the current induction systems and infrastructure quite ready enough. But they have been working in and granted patents on induction methods that refines and builds on the induction technology that goes back to the induction charged electric toothbrush. So the vision is there, and they clearly are thinking beyond just power charging, and this is why Apple is so successful and normally hits home runs. Just loading up a product with every available bell and whistle isn't their style. That frustrates some people and of course Apple isn't alway right. Look at Jobs view of the mini Pad.

What you do doesn't work for me. In this thread, I needed to charge in my car. Sometimes I charge in an airplane. Induction methods are not practical nor elegant currently for those situations.

Below is a quote from Schiller last year.

"On the inductive charging front, Schiller pointed out the perceived convenience of such systems are questionable given they too need to be plugged into an outlet. The USB interface, however, can be plugged into walls, computers and airplanes.

“Having to create another device you have to plug into the wall is actually, for most situations, more complicated,” Schiller said."

23. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    This kind is becoming less frequent:
    Motorola_charger_270x270.jpg

Because this kind, that has the USB A-connector, you can also use the USB cable to connect to your PC to charge or data transfer:
    charger-c1-usb-eu.jpg

Most USB cables have data and DC in them, but some cables may only have the 5V DC and not data, I believe. If you have a multi-meter, you can check the continuity of the pins
    USB pinout and connections @ pinouts.ru

Of course one solution doesn't apply to everyone. When I'm on the run, I carry an extra battery.

24. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Thank you for reminding me of another reason why I hate USB. Gave my kid a hard drive for back up, and grabbed a USB cable that didn't work. Had to to through six of them to find the right one. Some have ferrite chokes on them. What a pain in the....

Same is true for cheap knocks off of Apples 30 pin design. Why I'm willing to pay for an Apple branded cable. Same thing is occurring for the lightning knock offs

25. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I don't think you need another reason, you seem to dislike all non-Apple connectors right off the bat :rolleyes: What's wrong with HDMI by the way?

26. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Oh yes, I'm curious about HDMI, too — never had any trouble with them.

Also, about induction charging — I really hate to interrupt the charging process, and it seems to me that induction charging doesn't make it easy to use the phone while charging. So no, it's not for everyone :)

1 person likes this.
  27. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I thought USB Type A was what vf, Dmitry, Quint etc was complaining about not all connectors not even Type B. :)

No problem with HDMI or any variation of it there of. I do have problem with Apples's 30 pin connector sometimes probably because it is angled downward slightly.

#27 charlyee, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 19, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  28. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I too have an occasional problem with the 30-pin one. Never on iPhones, often on iPods (Touch) because they're so thin and often on iPads — although I suspect I'd have a problem with any type of connector on those because of how heavy they are and my propensity for trying to hold them when connecting rather than laying down on some surface.

#28 dmapr, May 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2013
  29. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Yawn...

I suppose its your prerogative to post stupid comments. I’m not insulting you by saying you are stupid, but if your post above is what you got out of this thread, that is just a stupid thing to post. Save your sarcastic anti-Apple biases on every thread here for Howard Forums, but not WirelessAdvisor. The traffic on WA is already low enough. I don’t subscribe to the theory that ‘stirring the pot’ increases forum traffic...it just causes the smarter members to leave eventually.

The thread is a light-hearted comment about my sometime frustration with USB Type A. Apple does NOT make a proprietary power side connector. They use the same USB Type A standard, like everyone today - because it is a standard. So suggestions that I dislike it because it's not an Apple product, or that I should purchase another brand of phone, and one that has a power pad, doesn’t really fit in with the USB-A connector topic of the thread. Just silly and off-topic. And not a solution.

I actually have a lot more experience than you regarding connectors. Not only have I’ve been using them while you probably were still in diapers, I also have professionally worked with some of the biggest names in connectors, working man-months together designing robust proprietary electrical and optical connectors that are fit for applications specs for space and subsea. Robust hermetically sealed systems...that also have to be simple for untrained field personnel to use AND replace. It takes a lot of work, and I’ve personally been involved in the lifetime testing of the same- shock and vibration, etc. Some of the results have become industry standards.

The USB-A is a clever electrical connection, but it’s durability cycle is only 1500. The mini USB was 5,000, but it was discontinued because of poor consumer reliability with use. The replacement, the micro USB, has a cycle life of 10,000. And that assumes you place it in correctly each time..not backwards. 1500 cycles seem enough for a power port perhaps, but not for a laptop/desktop, especially in a work environment. My colleagues agree that USB-A is confusing in practice to use for most, so not the best connector...but all agree that it is an inexpensive connector, and therefore popular. Yes, it has a Icon on the 'up' side, but many times it's painted on, so can't be felt..or the mating part orientation is not clear...like my cigarette socket.

The best design is one that is symmetrical, but it not always possible. My favorite was the simple power round power plug on my Nokia’s...but I can’t say such good things about the Nokia multi-pin ‘pop-port’ style...I have a drawer full of those obsolete propriety connectors.

Also the Apple 30 pin had problems. It is unsymmetrical as well. So in the dark, it is difficult to insert correctly the first time. Under other conditions it has been fine for me...and gives audio/video/data/power out.

So what’s my problem with HDMI? Not much, but similar to the USB’s, it is an unsymmetrical connector without a standard molded encasement- typically, and on all of my HDMI cables, the molded strain relief/encasement IS symmetrical..so one has little clue how to insert it....in a typical situation. For example, like many people my cable TV box and BlueRay sit beneath the TV. When the cable drops down from the TV, I’d prefer to just reach behind the cable/blueray units and ‘feel around’ to connect. But the molded piece gives little clue which way is ‘up’ by feel. Different story if you can see it...and what I have to do is pull the boxes out of the enclosed furniture and do it that way. And that is a pain in the butt. One never knows if the resistance is from the connector latching, or if one has it upside down!

Ah, long ago where the days of round, RCA phono plugs!!!

And with that comment, if I were a Mod, I'd close this thread.

30. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I am tempted to but I am intrigued by the how many have problems with USB Type A and never owned up to before you started this thread.

Let's keep the thread open and see if any others "fess up". We can expand it to pet peeves about all connectors of today in general. :)

If it derails again, closing is always an option. ;)