Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

I Guess Alltel Has Eliminated Roaming Charges On National Freedom Plans

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by KyleAndMelissa22, May 6, 2011.

1. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    I was just on Alltel's website and just for kicks,
    wanted to see if they still had the same coverage map from 2006.
    I right away had noticed it's got pretty much the same coverage (and not including AK)
    and I don't see listed anymore the "light blue 59¢ per minute" areas on their new National map.

I haven't heard anything official so I'm not sure, but if this map is true, then it's more like
    the "Total Freedom" coverage with no chance of ever getting charged roaming.

Here's the New National Freedom Map:

[​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I see theres some more holes on the map vs Alltel's older original map, mostly on the west coast:

[​IMG]

Maybe those are the areas where the Alltel towers are now AT&T.
    Maybe Verizon is now preferred in those areas?

Also, studing the new map, it looks like many of the former light blue @ 59¢/min areas
    are not an option to roam anymore (Eastern KY, some of WV, north-central Idaho, etc).

Others that were former pay-roam are now free on the new map.
    (area in Western IL, Southeastern OR / WA, some in Mississippi, etc)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    A week ago, I was on a trip from New Hampshire driving back to South Carolina.
    We went thru Pike County, PA along Interstate 84 west of Port Jervis, NY.

This area gave a solid roam on Cellular One of Northeast PA (SID 1620).
    A few years ago I was able to complete a test call on that network atop High Point, NJ.
    (cost me 59 cents roaming)

A week ago, still with a solid roam symbol on the phone, I tried to place another test call on that network.
    This time the call just wouldn't go thru, and the call failed after about a minute.
    Tried it 4 times, but kept getting the same thing.

This tells me that Alltel (ATNI) would rather give you no service on former solid roam networks
    vs having to pay 59 cents per minute roaming plus the 40 cent long distance.

I forced my phone to use the Sprint signal on I-84 between Port Jervis, NY and Scaranton, PA
    and that worked just fine, then back to Verizon once I hit Scranton.