Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

I got an Airave

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by larry, Aug 18, 2008.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well I decided to give it a shot and picked one up today. It was a challenge to get one since my local Sprint store apparently hadn't been trained on them yet and I was the first one to come in for one. Eventually they figured out how to activate it and I came home and hooked it up.

After about 20 or 30 minutes it was all set up and ready to go. I did get a nice improvement in signal to the places in the house that I needed it most. As most of you know I have trouble receiving incoming calls due to the dreaded CDMA NID border.

Maybe my expectations were a little too high but I didn't get as good of a signal from it as I had hoped. There were a lot of reviews going around on various forums and most people really hyped this thing up. But so far my call quality has been excellent and I haven't missed any incoming calls as the Airave has it's own NID that doesn't fluctuate.

There is one minor problem involving text messages. For some reason my Rumor isn't mixing well with the Airave. If I attempt to send the same text to multiple recipients it produces an error message on the last recipient on the list. So for example if I send any message to let's say 3 people at the same time it sends fine to the first two but fails on the third. This happens every time. I believe I have narrowed it down to being an LG Rumor bug.

I will post more when I get a chance to use it more and perform more tests on it.

1 person likes this.
  2. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hopefully Anthromatt will post a review on his later tonight. He just got one as well.

3. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    By the way user 'Gman' attempted to get an Airave today but was turned down because he's on a SERO plan. I still think he will find a way to get one but why discriminate against SERO users?

4. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    I'm on a SERO plan and I had no trouble getting mine. I even got signed up for the Unlimited use for no extra charge. Sorry to hear that Gman hasn't been so lucky, but a second try might produce different results. With Sprint a lot can depend on who you talk to.

5. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It could just be that the Airave thing in the Sprint stores is so new and not all employees are trained properly about them. Or maybe it's something that telesales can handle better?

6. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    As far as your texting goes, how about listing yourself as the last recipient?

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    I will post a detailed review in a couple days...I need to wait on feedback from my girlfriend (she has a Rumor and a Treo 700wx) since I can't make any use of the Airave with my Nextel phone. So far I would say my experiences pretty much mirror those of Larry's exactly.

8. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    A few more things to add.

My old and chronic problem of getting duplicate text messages has gone away! Woo Hoo!

Incoming calls all make it to me now whereas before I would miss about 25% of them. Not only that but they come in faster as well.

Even though the signal bars on my phone do degrade as I move away from the base my EC/IO is very consistent. The EC/IO is actually the more important number when measuring signal quality on CDMA phones and I am consistenly getting -02.5 to .-04.5 no matter where I am in the house. This is MUCH better than I used to get before.

Hopefully these good results will keep up over the next couple of days and I will post any more updates as I go along.

9. Gman

Gman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The store had the ability to sell the device but was unable to add the coverage only service. They really tried by calling lots of different #'s. They finally figured out that it was my SERO plan that was the issue and was preventing them from adding the device/plan option. I asked them much earlier if they thought that was an issue. I was in the store for 90 minutes standing around unfortunately.

This morning I received an email saying that Airave unlimited has been added to my account ($10) but not the coverage only option ($4.99) that is necessary with that and which I actually wanted . They did not sell me the device either so I have more work to do to figure this out .

10. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Sp they added the service, but never sold you the device? That's crazy.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Gman

Gman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    They sure did. I tried an online chat session which I knew had low likelihood of helping and they said I need to call telesales to purchase one.

12. Gman

Gman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    My issue has been cleared up through retensions. A very,very nice woman helped me.

13. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Ugh!

It took me about 20 minutes to convince my local store that I could add an Airave for only $4.99 /mo. They insisted I would have to pay the $10 or the $20. Eventually I convinced them that there was a $4.99 option and after some searching they found it. But if I had been an uneducated customer like 90% out there I'm sure they would have just stuck me with the $20 option even though I didn't need it. I was the first one to buy an Airave at my local store and none of the employees had even been trained on them yet at this particular location. I had to teach them about it. lol

14. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well another problem came up. The Airave has a hard time handing off to local towers once I leave my house and drive away. It fails to make this 'hard handoff' about 50% of the time it seems. But with multiple NID's and pilot pollution in this area I'm not surprised that this is happening.

#14 larry, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  15. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Things I like about the Airave:

Sprint has made it possible for the Airave signal to dominate the intended area. I no longer have to worry about my phone bouncing around on multiple PN offsets and NID's. It stays locked on the special Airave assigned NID and PN and even if I move outside to where the signal from the regular network is actually stronger it will still favor the weaker Airave signal. This might not sound good but it is because if it were to start yielding to the regular network while I was walking around the house (upstairs and outside) I would be back to the same problem again. Whoever designed this thing obviously programmed it to remain dominant for as long as possible and only to yield when the Airave signal is completely gone. Plus I no longer have to disable Vision after every use. Pre-Airave I would have to disable Vision because of constant data activity on my phone due to the NID bouncing which caused decreased battery life.

Plus the EC/IO (signal noise) is amazingly good! Having an EC/IO of less than -05.0 at all times is something I could only dream about before. In many cases I am even as low as -02.5. With this excellent EC/IO you can hold a perfect call all the way up to -100 dBs or more.

Things I dislike:

The LG Rumor can't function properly for text messaging. If you try to send the same message to multiple recipients the last one on the list fails every time after wasting about 20 or 25 seconds trying. This apparently is only a bug with Rumor or maybe with other LG phones as well.

Handoffs to the regular network are actually 'hard handoffs' and are prone to drop and cut out for a second or two while transferring to the next cell site.

16. sctoy

sctoy New Member

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 700p
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint (Treo), T-Mobile (Bb), Verizon (Razr)
    I picked up an Airave yesterday and experienced the same frustration with a Sprint Staff that was selling one of these for the first time. It took an hour to get the sale complete.

However, even more frustrating is the fact that it is sucking down the battery of my Treo 700p at the rate of about 12% per hour when merely on standby. When I am having a conversation the drain is more rapid and plugging it in during the call only allows me to tread water in terms of battery life. I fear this will be a deal killer for me.

Bummer.

17. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Wow first I have heard about that problem. I wonder if it is a phone specific issue?

18. sctoy

sctoy New Member

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 700p
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I don't know. I have swapped batteries and the behavior is the same so we can rule out that particular portion of the hardware but it is nasty.

The other issue which may also be phone specific is that the first call I try to make is dropped before it connects when returning to a range the Airave covers. Every subsequent call is fine and I don't have the problem until I leave and return to the Airave area.

19. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Weird. My girlfriend has a Treo 700wx and has not experienced those issues.

20. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I'm glad I haven't experience that problem. I wonder if these are just software bugs that are phone specific? My LG Rumor has a bug where it won't send multiple text messages to different recipients at the same time. It will send to everyone expect the last recipient on the selected list. Other phones don't have this particular problem.

21. sctoy

sctoy New Member

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 700p
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Could be. I'll experiment a little more but if it continues to drain my battery this fast it is a non-starter for me.

22. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    I have had this happen, but not every time.

23. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I haven't really tested mine out a whole lot yet. Who knows maybe I'll find more issues after a few weeks but hopefully not.

24. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    After one week of using the Airave I must say that the device has worked very well and even better than I intially thought it would. I haven't had a single duplicate or triplicate text message come in at home since I got the Airave. That annoying problem used to occured at least 5-10 times a day. I have received every single incoming call in the past week whereas before I would miss about 25% of all incoming calls. Sometimes even more. The only problem is that the hard handoffs do not work all that great when driving away from the house. But I can avoid that problem by just waiting until I am out of Airave range before initiating a call when I am about to leave the house. A small problem in comparsion to what I used to put up with.

I think Sprint has really come up with something amazing here which will make a lot of customers happy.

25. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    I would have to echo those sentiments. I have not missed a single incoming call and have only dropped two calls, both on the first day I was testing the thing out, pretty much "trying" to get calls to drop.

I think before the Airave I would miss 50-70% of my calls, and those that did connect and were longer than about 10 minutes probably had a 50% drop rate. So things are much better.

26. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Wow Matt 50-70% is awful! I guess I shouldn't complain about my 25 to 35%.

27. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Yeah it was terrible. That's why I finally got so fed up and went to iDEN. I would usually get about a 1/2 second ring, then nothing. Obviously by the time I would answer my phone, the call had been sent to voice mail. Sometimes it wouldn't ring at all, but usually the 1/2 second ring was most common.

28. Laci

Laci New Member

I've been considering purchasing an Airave, but I am a bit leery after reading some of these responses.

I have a few questions that no one seems to be able to answer for me so I thought maybe somebody here can.

What was the activation step you took to get your airave? Did you add it to your existing account? How did you add it to the account?

Where did everyone purchase their airave units? Just a standard Sprint store? It seems as if everyone who activated one of these, were surrounded by people that had no clue what they were doing!

I guess I am just curious as to what the process was for most people, that way if I do decide to purchase one of these I will know exactly what to expect.

Thank you!

29. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Yes, I bought mine at a regular Sprint store (Stapley Drive in Mesa, AZ). They never activated it, so when I called CS it was a hassle. There is a number on the airave for tech support. If they don't activate the device in the store, call Airave tech support instead of Sprint customer service. They know what they are doing. In 5 minutes the guy there had me up and running. It is a $4.99/mo charge for the Airave, it is a bit more if you want unlimited calling.

Once it was added to my plan, I think it was 20 minutes later and everything was working perfectly.

30. Laci

Laci New Member

Great! Thank you.

Is the $4.99 a month associated with your already existing Sprint account? (sorry if that is a dumb question)